Can I use my existing Disks without re-formatting them

MD-253 & MD-500 Discussion
jonathanrcarter

Can I use my existing Disks without re-formatting them

Post by jonathanrcarter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I have some 2TB disks which I have been using for backups , they are just attached via USB via some handy housings in which I just have to plug the bare disks in and in my server cabinet.

I have bought them back from my server room and thought that I could use the MD-253 to access them on my local network so I bought a couple of MD-253s for experimenting on.

I put the disks in the they are physically recognized but there is no Logical layout available via the NAS.

The disks are already partitioned with one Linux partition each, one formatted ext2 and the other ext3.

Is there any way I can use the NAS for this purpose. It would be handy since I get one new disk every 2 months from my server room and I could buy a bunch of MD-253s and make a nice setup.

Any help would be appreciated

I don't mind overwriting the NAS software as I will not use them for anything else , I just need either ftp or sftp or smb or nfs access to the volumes plugged into the NAS. They don't even need to be writable.

Jonathan.

Protheus

Re: Can I use my existing Disks without re-formatting them

Post by Protheus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:55 pm

I know, old topic.

But the answer is NO.

the MD-253 will create XFS formatted disks. It will simply overwrite everything on it.

I got this issue as I wanted to mirror an existing disk. So I had a MD-253 disk, which I wanted to mirror. In that step, the NAS destroyed everything WITHOUT WARNING. So do not try. You will loose all data.