General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:22 pm 

As you may know the MD253 runs an Oxnas 810 SoC. The Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive (I didn't invent that name) uses the same SoC. A big difference is that the MD253 boots from flashrom, while the HMNHD has no flashrom at all, it boots directly from harddisk.

Oxnas is called PLX now. The successor of the HMNHD, the HMNHD CE runs the successor of the Oxnas 810, the PLX 7820, and uses the same trick, booting directly from harddisk.
Medion sells a Nas, the P89626, which also runs a PLX 7820, but it boots from flashrom, just like the MD253.

Now I'm coming to my point: According to this German wiki the PLX 7820 can boot from Sata, SPI and flashrom. In this sequence. So by putting a well-prepared disk in a P89626, it will boot from Sata, instead of flashrom.
When the PLX 7820 behaves this way, maybe it's predecessor, the Oxnas 810 does the same. In that case you could prepare a disk using this directions, and boot the MD253 from it. When that succeeds, it's relatively easy to exchange the Iomega firmware by Debian Lenny. More here. The described rootfs can also be put on the harddisk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:40 pm 

Interesting information about the boot loader search order. That's worth an exploration.

The PLX website lists these boot options for the OXE810(D)SE: HDD, NOR(flash), UART. Good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 am 

Hi.. What became the conclusion on this topic?
I was looking at this https://github.com/lemenkov/u-boot-oxnas when started searching and found your thread as I knew OXNAS was the chip in my MD253 and got curios. Nice if one could drop the flash.

Breg
Vidar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm 

AFAIK nobody tried it yet. So this is your chance to gain eternal fame!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:05 pm 

Just been looking into this myself and found the thread through a search.

I've seen a few references to the possiblity but no clear instructions and confirmation that it can be done, has been done or how well it works.

I'll be looking into this after Christmas as I'm fed up of the standard firmware and its errors.