General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:39 am 

Hey all

Like many of you, i was looking for a way to make the MD-254's fan noise a bit more acceptable. Browsing this forum told me that it was a matter of changing the values in some files. Unfortunately these files would be overwritten when the device reboots. Instead of hacking the firmware i'd figure it was easier to make a package for it that can be enabled/disabled via the web interface.

it's available for download Here.

Basically the package contains a script that is executed when the NAS boots up.
The script tweaks some kernel parameters to make the fan spin up less frequently. It does not stop the fan from spinning up entirely, it just makes it spin up at a later moment (when it is actually needed). Furthermore it also makes I/O a bit smoother at the cost of some memory. This saves some CPU load at higher I/O, which further reduces heat generation; So the fan will be less inclined to kick in.

NOTE: By using this package you are altering the cooling of the system. Usage is 100% at your own risk. Using this package is not reccomended when your NAS has exceptionally high I/O or you run a service that bypasses the HDD's power savings (e.g. Twonky).

Update 01-10-2012 / Version 0.02
Quote:
- Package will now properly uninstall.
- Star value has been adjusted from 50 to 48.

For 0.01 users: no need to remove the old package, starting this version will remove the old version.

Last edited by Ajira on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:39 pm 

Hm, I uploaded this package, because my fan maked a very loud noise, but now i can't reach on any port exept port 9000.

Any idea how to recover? Reset to factory settings is not working.

Jan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:19 pm 

I removed the HDD's, then I can reach it, i format the discs on a PC, placed them back and tried again, and voila, it works.

Only my disks are getting really hot, and i have no idea to remove the fan hack, does someone have an idea?

thnx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 pm 

The packages are installed on a hidden directory on the hard disk (/home/PUBLIC/.pkg/ to be exact). If you formatted the disks on your PC, the package ought to be gone.