General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:38 pm 

Hi,

I have an sitecom MD 254(v1) Firmware 2.4.17

I just changed my IP address to DHCP and now my webinterface is not working anymore.
twonkey media server is still reacheble.
ping is also working.
but smb or the UNC path is not working anymore.

\\192.168.2.4\ (not working)
http://192.168.2.4 (not working)

http://192.168.2.4:9000 (works) even movie streams
ping 192.168.2.4 (works)

any idea what happend?
Please help!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:41 pm 

Same problem here, did you already fixed it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:00 pm 

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem, I also tried to reset the system but it does not work at all! :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:35 pm 

Similair problem when i updated firmware on my sitecom MD 254 to version 2.4.21 (original FW before).

Twonky works, but no other acces possible - even when trying to install Home Storage Center Utility i get "Can't find the Home Storage Center"

Anyone solved this?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm 

Hi, I have the same problem as topic starter.

I have a very long and frustrating support ticket procedure running with Sitecom. They are useless!!!!

So far I found out that, fysically my disks are ok ( 2 disk mirror), the NAS can be approached via WebInterface when I remove the disks, I'm not able to mount the drives and read my data (attached externally to my pc) in Linux.

NAS is still under warranty but that doesn't help a lick, I need to get to my DATA!!!

To make the drama complete I found this article:
http://www.randomtech.be/2012/03/26/sit ... formation/

If it wasn't so frustrating it would be funny...
I'm hoping to find a wizz with an idea here!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 pm 

Same here with MD253.

No access to NAS after upgrading except for ping and twonky........

I would like to know what happens if I remove disks and try to power on without them. I mean, when i try to mount agains disks, doeis it tries to format them? Because it wouldn be nice if i lose all the data......

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:59 pm 

Hi,
as far as I can see, nothing happens to the disks when you re-insert them in the Nas.
If you remove them do keep track of which slot they were in!!

But I'm talking about my MD 254 now, but that said I don't see why MD253 wil be different.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 pm 

Today I removed disks from the NAS.
Powered it up and my nas loaded properly and web interface was reachable again.
I first tried to downgrade firmware. From 2.4.21 back to 2.4.17. THe problem started to happen the reboot after the update.
I rebooted NAS WITHOUT disk and everything ok. NAS web interface was available.
Then I inserted one disk only and rebooted. NAS did not reboot. Always the same response when opening web interface:Error 324 (Server answered with empty response).
I tried changing both disks. The same story. NAS did not restart properly.

Now, tell me. How many chances are there, two hard disks broken at the same time?
My hard disks are Western Digital 2Tb SATA 64mb cache

I remember quite good, but i can try again to be sure, on last sunday (when nas died) when nas web interface wasn't reachable, twonky server worked. And, after a nas factory reset, i remember that i was still able to read folder structure from the disks. I heard the hard disk whirling when i opened my audio folder (it contains hundreds of subfolders). So i'm sure disks are still working.

I tried another disk i had. And magically the Nas restarted showing me the disk inserted.
The strange thing is that when i tried to insert my two original disks, the corresponding led were always blue. Like everything was ok.

So I tried to insert one of the two disks in an usb box. I tried to connect to my windows pc. Windows showed me that a new hardware had been connected, showed me the disk information (good thing, windows recognized the hd model). But nothing more happened. Hardware installation ok, but windows did not mount any drive.

I'm not an Linux user (even if i'm a programmer), so i don't have now a linux installation on my pcs.
I've red somewhere to try to mount the hard disk with ubuntu. I have an old notebook i can install ubuntu on it and try to read data from disks.
I know it would be better to connect the hard disk directly to motherboard, but i have two notebooks, and i'm gonna buy a desktop next month.so now i don't have motherboard access for now.
Does anyone have any suggest on what to do with ubuntu to read data from disk? any trick?
And, most important, does anyone have any idea of what could have been happened to my disks?

Thank you in advance,
Davide.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm 

mrbee wrote:
Hi, I have the same problem as topic starter.

I have a very long and frustrating support ticket procedure running with Sitecom. They are useless!!!!

So far I found out that, fysically my disks are ok ( 2 disk mirror), the NAS can be approached via WebInterface when I remove the disks, I'm not able to mount the drives and read my data (attached externally to my pc) in Linux.

NAS is still under warranty but that doesn't help a lick, I need to get to my DATA!!!

To make the drama complete I found this article:
http://www.randomtech.be/2012/03/26/sit ... formation/

If it wasn't so frustrating it would be funny...
I'm hoping to find a wizz with an idea here!!

Did you rename/change something in the file system before you shat down the nas last time it worked?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:05 pm 

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggest on what to do with ubuntu to read data from disk? any trick?
The latest version of Ubuntu should automagically assemble the raid array and mount it, when booted up with both disks connected. BTW, you can easily boot a PC from a Live CD or -USB stick, without touching your current operating system. No need for a full install.
Quote:
And, most important, does anyone have any idea of what could have been happened to my disks?
According to your experiences, the firmware stores some data on harddisk, maybe a php cache or something like that, which got corrupted, and is blocking the web interface now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm 

I successfully mounted my hard disk into windows. I used a software called captain nemo. But it is a paid one, so it is a demo and i cannot backup anything. But my data is still there, anyway. I can breathe slower now. :-)
I think i will recover data booting from linux tomorrow evening. Now i can go to sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm 

Quote:
Did you rename/change something in the file system before you shat down the nas last time it worked?

No! Congratulations on retrieving your data!

I got my disks working again (not the NAS!!) using Ubuntu Live from USBdrive. Had a steep learning curve and now I'm able to make the array jump through hoops in Ubuntu, even run with just one disk (to copy data), and synchronising 2nd disk later (Raid1)!! Wasn't easy at first!! But since I need to be able to get to my data in case of a crisis/failure and I apparently cannot trust this Nas, I had to find a solution I can depend on in the future.

Want to make a copy of your data?
To get you started:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
Make a little workspace for Ubuntu, for storing files or installing packages, when prompted.

Be sure to have all the HDs from the Nas attached to your pc before you start pc with Usb ie running Ubuntu. When pc starts you get a menu, choose:´Try now´.
You don´t need to install Ubuntu!!!

Then when Ubuntu has started, open a terminal window (find it: the top icon on the left side of the screen, think it´s called Dash..) and do:
sudo mdadm

It will probably prompt you, if you would like to install this package? Say yeah!
Shut down, restart ( find it: icon at right top of screen)

Now the array should mount automatically and you can make a BACKUP! Find it: At bottom left of screen with other mounted media

If you run into a problem let me know.
Or contact:
http://ubuntuforums.org/
Usually most countries also have official Ubuntu forum in your native language.

Good luck all!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:47 pm 

I had the same problem but I solved it. This is what I did:
1) Mounted disc of my RAID1 configuration of the NAS with Captain Nemo in Windows (had to buy it but I really wanted my data back) (It looks old school but works fine: http://www.runtime.org/captain-nemo.htm)
2) Copied all data to another disc (this was the hard part: where do you leave 4 Tb of data...)
3) Formatted both NAS discs in windows
4) Placed both discs back in the NAS
5) Ran the setup program from the Sitecom Driver CD
6) Copied all data back
7) Wiped all sweat from my face and made a little dance! :P

It worked again!!! Small setback, since the update you can't use special characters in the user passwords anymore... Why!?!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:21 am 

Here's what I did when nothing was working anymore on my MD-254 except twonky:

If you power off first, and then remove your harddrive, power on, and then press the reset button/hole, give it some time, power off again, insert harddrive, power on agin, Your MD254 wil be reset to factory settings, but you will keep all your files and folders.

I "found this out" after I was playing with packages and in the end couldn't login anymore with admin/admin.
Well, It had been running for over a year, so I didn't mind a reset of settings/packages/installs.

I was sooo afraid I lost my 3TB of media, but I didn't.

zetje01