General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:25 pm 

Hi

Can anyone help me out, Due to the hardware failure of the MD-253 i have placed the HDD in an external bay and try to recover the files to a windows PC.
The HDD is assigend to uid0 so it is not recognized, so tried to mount it with Ext2fsd however the systems files are recognized as RAW.

Since i need the files quiclky i cannot wait to till the MD-253 is repaired

Any suggestions?

Cheers Edward

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 am 

Unfortunately the wiki is silent on the disk layout and filesystem of the md253. Yet is tells a raidarray is supported, which likely means that always a raid array is used, even using only a single disk. Don't know if this can prevent the datapartition to be mounted by ext2fsd. In linux it does.
But the data partition could also be formatted xfs, and afaik there are no Windows drivers for it.

So I suggest you to boot your PC using a Linux Live CD or -USB stick. Possibly it will automount everything, but on Ubuntu you'll have to install mdadm first. Open a command prompt (terminal) and type (internet access required):
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mdadm
Probably you'll have an icon on the desktop symbolizing the data partitions. Use the GUI to copy your files.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:54 am 

Thank for the help, got access to the filed

the solutions with virtual machines did not do the trick for me.

Installed Linux on a spare laptop update the mdadm and gave me direct access to the disk. The properties does not indicated the filesystem used.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 pm 

A while back i recovered data from an old NAS in a similar manner, and made a blog post about it: http://www.ajira.eu/story/NAS_data_recovery/

Maybe you can extrapolate some useful information from it to solve your problem. :)