General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: optware enabled firmware
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:49 am 

I've build an optware enabled firmware based on stock 2.4.21.

It can be downloaded from http://r26936.ovh.net/md253 and appart from the /opt things, I have recovered the ssh server from previous versions. No other work has been done within it, and everything is as https://github.com/javiplx/sitecom. The provided firmware is complete (kernel+bootfs+rootfs), although no change exists on kernel.

After flashing, the script setup-optware.sh should be executed in the device to download ipkg binaries and the feed (packages at http://r26936.ovh.net/md253/optware/)

I'm working a bit on documentation and thinking about some other minor improvements, but as github is open, forking and merging is more than wellcome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 pm 

Nice. This would enable the device to be an all inclusive linux system and allow us to install any service or application we'd like?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 pm 

Not all optware packages do compile, and not all that compile actually run. I've failed to start apache, for example. But I've been able to run nginx, rsync and python.
Transmisison also compiles, but I've not tested yet. And the list is really large

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 pm 

Hi,

I flashed the sitecom with this firmware and it doesnt work any more what can I do?

regards,

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:01 pm 

I've used the same file successfuly on my device (md253).

To recover you will need to enable serial access (described on the wiki), to know the exact point where the failure happens, and maybe also to reflash. Depending on the point where the boot stops, you could try to boot from tftp and recover from a shell.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:45 pm 

Hi I found the wiki, lets have a look if I can recover this NAS server. I found that ubuntu can easy acces the XFS file system that was formatted on the drives which where installed in the NAS server. Also some extra information was found on the drives pkg info. Let me see. In the mean time I think of buying a new NAS server like Synology DS213+ for my media to stream. This Sitecom is sometimes slow and twonky service is hanging.

Regards and nice christmas!