General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:59 am 

Hello.
I work in a small business and we have a MD 253 NAS server for our files.
But yesterday morning, bad news : one of the disk seemt to be crashed, and worse : files from the last 6 months weren't there anymore.

I talked with friend about how a RAID 1 with 2 HDD could loose file, everyone told me its not normal.
But I don't think those 2 event happened the same day by chance.

So I was wondering if any of you alreayd had that case ?
The thing is that the NAS was slower than usual the 2 weeks before the HDD crash, I think maybe the disk was alreaady dying, and maybe it would explain why the files did nt copy proprely to the other one, that is fonctionning normally.

In our misfortune, the script we were using to back up the files every now and then ( usually every 2-3 weeks) was not fonctionning proprely either and seemt not to copy new files on the back up, but as we are a small business and Im not that good about scripts etc, we didnt really mind...
We should have, cause our back up has only files from end of september and before :/

Anyway, any idea how I could maybe get back those files ?
If I scan the good HDD for "deleted files" with a data recovery software, could I get something? because normally those files should have been copied on both disk ... and in the eventuallity someone deletd then on purpose, there should still be a trace , right ?

Other question : I got a new HD, but I dont know how to process to format it right and to have the data copied from the HD still fonctionning to that new one, to make the RAID 1 again.

Thanks a lot,
Gilles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:37 am 

gilles wrote:
Anyway, any idea how I could maybe get back those files ?
Depending on the nature of the files, PhotoRec might do the job. Condition is that the file has a recognizable header, and despite it's name, PhotoRec supports much more than photo's alone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 am 

Thanks, I ll check that .

Good news, finally we found files as recent as 29/11 , meaning 2 weeks ago :)
Im copying them back on the new HD in the NAS, and I ll keep the sane one to scan it later just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 am 

Hi,
I'm new and this this my first topic. I bought an MD253 since 2 year ago but I never use it. I Bought this one to upload all pictures I have. I set the system in mirroring, in order to be a double copy of each picture on two HDs (Hitachi). I notice that when I switch off the NAS and then I restart it there the rebuilding of the second HD...is it normal?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:38 pm 

No. Do you shutdown the box normally, before pulling the plug?