General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm 

Hi,

Subjects says it all.
Will I lose my data if I restore to factory settings?

And maybe another small question, is there someone that is able to stop the Twonky package?
It's always ON and I can't select it to stop or delete it..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 am 

If you power off first, and then remove your harddrive, power on, and then press the reset button/hole, give it some time, power off again, insert harddrive, power on agin, Your MD254 wil be reset to factory settings, but you will keep all your files and folders.

I "found this out" after I was playing with packages and in the end couldn't login anymore with admin/admin.
Well, It had been running for over a year, so I didn't mind a reset of settings/packages/installs.

I was sooo afraid I lost my 3TB of media, but I didn't.

zetje01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 am 

WouterDS wrote:
Hi,

Subjects says it all.
Will I lose my data if I restore to factory settings?

And maybe another small question, is there someone that is able to stop the Twonky package?
It's always ON and I can't select it to stop or delete it..

No. You won't lose anything if you reset from back button or by web interface. The only things you will loose are users, permissions, ftp settings, bittorrent settings. You won't loose anything that is on your disks.

But don't extract disks!!!! Do that only if you have problems with the Nas or with disks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:17 pm 

Well I have tried that but the issues aren't fixed..
I have messed a few things up with ssh, Twonky Media doesn't work anymore, can't delete or install packages anymore etc..

When I boot the NAS without disks some services like Twonky seem to work again..

I assume some settings are saved to the disks.. But where? I would like a fresh start with the current data on my disks..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:37 pm 

I has the same problem with the NAS.
Without disks everything was ok. With the disks inside, no web interface and no twonky.
But i renamed the MEDIA folder (why is this folder writeable, i don't know). And this messed up everything.

Mount one of the two disks on a PC with Linux (there is a post describing step by step what to do). Recover data from that disks and then format them (the only way i had been able to format disks is with diskpart on Windows).

To be sure this is not a firmware problem, you can also try to put into NAS a blank or formatted hard disk, and try to see it if works again.

Bye, Davide.