General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 pm 

Hi all,

I apologize for the eventual mistakes, I'm still learning english ;-).

I am in my second year of cloud computing and IT security study.

Two years ago, I got a Lacie Network Space 2 without hard drive. Helped by my teacher, I setup your OS on it to make of it a powerful and flexible NAS. It was pretty good. Having a ssh and linux environment… :)

This year I have to make a little network and systems infrastructure for my annual project school. I’ll describe it later. To be inventive and have a better mark, I choose Lacie for computer's hardware.

So, this network infrastructure is designed for a developers team. Four machines will constitute it (Firewall, server deposits, server for documentations, backup server). I want to do it in this way:

1) A firewall, named London, on a Lacie Wireless Space with OpenBSD. It will be used as router, DHCP server too. It will enabled the other network’s computers to communicate between them and outwardly (WAN) in security.

2) A deposits server for developers, named Paris, on a Lacie Cloudbox with a linux distribution.

3) An other called Madrid for the technical and user documentation on a Lacie Network Space 2 with a linux distribution too. (Exactly like I had done for the NAS but without the services preinstalled: torrent client, network share, etc… ).

4) And the last called NewYork that will be used like a storage server on a RAID 1 (mirroring) Lacie Network Space MAX with OpenBSD for OS.

----------------------------
Aptitude in preference or another package manager have to be installed on Paris and Madrid.

I have already bought London (Lacie Wireless Space), Paris (Lacie Cloudbox) and Madrid (Lacie Network Space 2) but not NewYork. I'm scanning small ads for that :-).

I would like to know if « Wake On Lan » is enabled by their motherboard (for all of them) ?

Are the Lacie Network Space 2 and the Lacie CloudBox really different or it’s just a colors’ stuff ?

Can you tell me what I have to do to setup the OSs for Paris and Madrid (on their respective machine)?

----------------------------

I thank you for reading this long post and for helping me!

Regards, Adam.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 pm 

Skay wrote:
I would like to know if « Wake On Lan » is enabled by their motherboard (for all of them) ?
I don't think so. At least on the NS2 WOL is handled by a script in initrd (embedded in the kernel) which switches off the disk, takes the power from USB, and then just waits for a magic packet.
Quote:
Are the Lacie Network Space 2 and the Lacie CloudBox really different or it’s just a colors’ stuff ?
According to the Wiki the Cloudbox has an 1GHz Kirkwood, 256MiB ram, no USB, while the NS2 (both Classic and Lite) have an 800MHz Kirkwood, and 2 USB (host and device). Further the Lite has only 128MiB ram.
Quote:
Can you tell me what I have to do to setup the OSs for Paris and Madrid (on their respective machine)?
The stock u-boot loads a kernel from sda6, and starts it with sda7 specified as rootfs in the commandline. So if you just reorganize the partitions, and make sda7 bigger, you can put a Debian rootfs (ext3) there, and your box will run Debian. You'll have to remount sda7 rw in fstab, as the commandline specifies it to be mounted ro.

Are the other boxes already supported by OpenBSD, or are you going to port it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:42 pm 

Thank you for responding! Now I understand better now.

Mijzelf wrote:
Are the other boxes already supported by OpenBSD, or are you going to port it?

I don't know if the other boxes already support OpenBSD, but i want to port it.

Mijzelf wrote:
The stock u-boot loads a kernel from sda6, and starts it with sda7 specified as rootfs in the commandline. So if you just reorganize the partitions, and make sda7 bigger, you can put a Debian rootfs (ext3) there, and your box will run Debian. You'll have to remount sda7 rw in fstab, as the commandline specifies it to be mounted ro.

Do you have please a document / URL explaining me how to install? (Partitioning a hard drive, format type, etc).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:19 pm 

Are you serious? You want to port OpenBSD to these boxes, but you need information about how to create a partition?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:24 am 

Historically BSD-unixes (Freebsd, Openbsd, Solaris etc) use BSD-disklabel. Later Microsoft created FAT and MBR filesystem. The BSD-unixes can be installed only on BSD-disklabel, dualbooting Windows and BSD from same disk is impossible.

To boot a BSD-disklabel the BIOS on Kirkwood should be modified and you would end up with the only such computer in the universe. I am sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 pm 

Thank you for your answer!
Then I'm forced to install only linux on these machines.

I am trying to install the firmware on lacie network space v2 then disable all services installed, to install only mine.

I'll let you know :) Thanks.