General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:38 pm 

I have a LaCie Network Space 2, with no Error LED, and no network connectivity via ping or http. I had Network Space 2 connected via my Ethernet (NIC) card, on a private (domain) LAN, with a NIC network address of 192.168.2.10 - The Network Space 2 had a IP address of 192.168.2.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 (no DHCP on LAN segment). I use DHCP only on my wireless nat(ted) interface. This network configuration has worked well for me with this Network Space 2 as well as a previous Network Space.

The NAS drive was running Network Space 2 latest patches, and LaCie Network Assistant is release 1.5.16 (73). I have replaced the CAT 5 cables with new cables, replaced NIC card, removed Antivirus (MalwareBytes), disabled firewall, and (4) separate” install/repairs” of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

With these steps I still cannot ping box or see the Network Space 2 as a network accessible device. Windows shows the NIC card up but no network connectivity. I installed Wireshark on my PC and did a packet trace which show packets are leaving the NIC card (not on the wire) but it does not see packets coming from the NAS.

I contacted LaCie support and the recommendation was to reset the Network Space 2, but after several tries it will not reset. After several reset attempts, the Network Space 2 now will continually beep half way through the boot sequence with a flashing LED.

If I hold the Network Space in my hand during the boot phase, I can feel the disk spinning up. I maybe wrong, but I think the “reset procedure” has now caused the Network Space 2 to hang somewhere during the boot phase, but cannot confirm this because of no console or network access.

Of course the Network Space warranty expired several months ago and I have files I need access to. LaCie has offered me a warranty extension. The quoted price is not economically sensible because if I choose to I could purchase a new Network Space 2 for slightly more money.

I have seen the procedure to remove the disk drive from the chassis. My questions are that if I go this route and remove the Network Space 2 disk and connect it as a non-bootable drive to my desktop PC SATA controller what will it take to read the Network Space 2 file system from Windows?

Thx
mhmallory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:01 pm 

I don't think a factory reset killed your nas. But if the disk is failing, a factory reset can keep it from booting, as other (unreadable) files are used for booting.

Quote:
what will it take to read the Network Space 2 file system from Windows?
The filesystem is XFS, and Raise Data Recovery can read that. Yet it isn't free.
When you boot your PC from a (free, as in free beer and as in free speech) Linux Live CD or -USB stick, it can also read the disk. (Provided the disk isn't dead).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:48 pm 

In addition

ps from what you describe it is not fully clear what exactly happened with your device. It seems to have worked in the manual ip setup you described. What happened when it stopped doing that ?
If you have reset it to factory defaults then probably it will use now dhcp for acquiring an ip, so it will have a different one from what you had set in the past

Read the manual regarding the meaning of the leds.
a blue steady flashing happens very early in the boot process, it should go to irrugular flashing. if not the boot process hangs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:03 pm 

@Mijzelf and @fvdw

Thanks for the fast response and I have to apologize because I wasn't clear in some points. First, I have to say that my previous Network Space and my Network Space 2 have and served me well over the years. I have to point out that %98 of the time when a problem appears it is usually a Windows problem. In the past when I have encountered a problem seldom is it necessary to reboot the NAS. I have attempted the "Proper Care and Feeding" of the NAS using a UPS and power surge protection. I avoid cold (hard) starting the NAS, and cringe when this is the last resort when I can't communicate with the NAS and bring it down gracefully. The Network Space 2 just works.

Quote:
I don't think a factory reset killed your nas.

I meant the factory reset may have exposed one of the root causes of the problem. What concerns me is that now the NAS “continuously beeps” after the NAS boot has completed as indicated by the LED. I feel it is not a beep “indicating over temperature state” because several times during my troubleshooting I have shutdown the NAS overnight.

Quote:
what you describe it is not fully clear what exactly happened with your device

When this happened I was using my desktop to do normal day to day tasks. I did not add any MS hot fixes (DT is fully patched), install or remove any programs or drivers, or add or remove hardware. I came back the next day and noticed I could not see my NAS share from Windows Explorer.

Quote:
It seems to have worked in the manual ip setup you described

I did the private network scheme because I’m in a insecure network location. It might give me a false sense of network security for my NAS, but it was cheap with only the expense of a network switch and CAT5 cables. I went through my old notes and one of several references I used was http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Private-Network

After the reset I went into the NIC properties and changed TCP/IPv 4 to “Obtain IP address automatically” and “Default gateway” to mirror my WIFI router’s ip address on the NAT side. I also verified using ipconfig settings on the NIC adapter and used my Netgear WiFi adaptor network settings as a reference where applicable. When I was satisfied the NIC and NAS had recovered, I used the freeware Advanced IP Scanner from http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com to scan the entire subnet. I used Advanced IP Scanner options “scan resources” with “shared folders”, “http”, “https”, “ftp”, and “active user name”.

Also, please do not become offended, but I did “RTFM” about LED states in the Network Spaces User Manual.

After some prayer and meditation and a promise of complete obedience and unquestioned love to the disk drive Gods, I ‘am leaning on attempting to remove the NAS drive myself and attempting to recover my data. I received a LaCie support reply back which states:

Quote:
As a part of repair and testing process the drive will be formatted and/or the mechanism may be replaced so any data on the drive will be lost.

They recommend d2recovery but the price is out of my range. As I see it I have nothing to lose. Once this saga is over, I probably will purchase another LaCie product for intermediate data network storage, and a NAS RAID solution for recovery purposes.

Thanks Again,
mhmallory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:15 pm 

that additional explanation makes it clear ;)

"continuously beeping" you mention.

Thats funny as AFIK there is no speaker on this main board inside the nwsp2, so if it beeps it must be something else.
I know that seagate barracuda drives can make a sound that sounds like a beep, they do that when they are coming from standby in active mode. But normally this is only for a short time. If yours keeps "beeping" it might be that the disk is not coming out of standby anymore and is broken.
nwsp2's often contains this barracuda drive

The only way to find out is take it out the disk and put it in an usb-sata connector and connect to a pc running linux and see if you can read the partitions.
Alternatively you could also try the fvdw-sl console that let you talk to u-boot or load a standalone kernel that runs fully from ram on the nawsp2 and connect via telnet to investigate the disk itself.
Theis console you can download from the plug.net forum (you need to register first) (http://plugout.net/index.php)
ps the standalone kernel I mentioned uses as standard ip 192.168.1.252 and 192.168.0252 besides one given via dhcp. As you lan uses 192.168.2.xxx this might cause some issue to connect to the telnet client. To solve it that you will need to temporarily change ip pool of your network

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:20 pm 

for the beep from seagate drives listen to this if it is the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pfqe1LcYXw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:55 pm 

@fvdw

Exactly....%100! Annoying isn't it. I just fired up the drive, and the beeping has stopped for the moment. I'm praying to the disk drive Gods there is not a bad head or damaged platter.

mhmallory