General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm 

Have anybody tried the new firmware 1.2.5 for NS2? Is the SSH access still available without disassembling the device?

br,
assetman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 am 

Yes. You can still use the same ssh.php script to gain ssh access. I have found the new firmware to be much more reliable than the old firmware that I had (1.0.2?). The old firmware gave me lots of problems using the web interface, which seem to be resolved for the most part.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:54 pm 

Thank you for the information.

I tried to update from version 1.0.2 to the latest 1.2.5 but the install fails every time. Lacie Network Assistant (Windows-version, latest) freezes to step 3 "restarting device, please wait" and device keeps blinking blue led light forever. Any ideas how to fix this issue? I already sent a message to Lacie's tech support but haven't received answer yet. I have tried resetting the device to factory settings but that doesn't seem to help.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:43 am 

I am on a Mac, and it seemed like it was having problems too, but you just have to be really patient. Mine was on step three for quite a while (10 mins or more I think) until it finally worked and told me that it had been updated successfully. Just leave your computer open and running the update and it should finish alright.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:45 am 

metronomadic wrote:
I am on a Mac, and it seemed like it was having problems too, but you just have to be really patient. Mine was on step three for quite a while (10 mins or more I think) until it finally worked and told me that it had been updated successfully. Just leave your computer open and running the update and it should finish alright.

Last time I tried the update didn't finish in 2 hours. I'll try the update again and leave it for a day or something. Thanks!

EDIT: I noticed that LaCie has updated their Network Assistant -software 2 days ago, the latest version is now 1.4.3. I let the update running for today and see if anything has happened till the night. I suppose that the client doesn't have to be on when the device is in stage 3 "device is restarting and will appear in a moment".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 am 

I could only update the FW with Lacie Network Assistant, there was no option to update from NetworkSpace2 (as mentioned in the hands-on),
so I have updated first the Assistant from 1.41. to 1.43 on my iMac.

Thereafter I have stopped the services on the NetworkSpace2.

Then, during the update from stage 2 --> 3 my iMac asks for the admin password.
Stage 3 does indeed take a while, just take a cup-of-coffee.

So I'll think for Windows users you should have admin rights, before you update the FW (just my thoughts).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 am 

henk55 wrote:
I could only update the FW with Lacie Network Assistant, there was no option to update from NetworkSpace2 (as mentioned in the hands-on),
so I have updated first the Assistant from 1.41. to 1.43 on my iMac.

Thereafter I have stopped the services on the NetworkSpace2.

Then, during the update from stage 2 --> 3 my iMac asks for the admin password.
Stage 3 does indeed take a while, just take a cup-of-coffee.

So I'll think for Windows users you should have admin rights, before you update the FW (just my thoughts).

I can confirm that there is no built-in option to update software in NetworkSpace2 mentioned in update instructions. Also, I have disabled all services (multimedia, FTP) before the update. Windows-version of the Network Assistant asks for admin-password right after pressing Update NAS..-button in configuration wizard, so it's not a permission issue, I think.

Thanks guys for the support. I have received few responses from LaCie-team already but so far their only advice is to return the device back to LaCie for fixup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm 

Did you have tried to disable temporally your firewall?

I've just enabled SSH access simply re-run the script file (ssh.php) once more.
The user and admin passwords aren't overwritten so, it's easy to do so.
(Only the twonky part you have to edit the .i(ni) file again.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm 

henk55 wrote:
Did you have tried to disable temporally your firewall?

This did the trick, problem is SOLVED!

I was using my company's Trend Micro OfficeScan that had pretty tight firewall-scheme on. I disabled the firewall completely (also built-in firewall in Windows XP SP3) and the update completed in less than 5 minutes. Amazing, thanks! I will forward this thread to LaCie so that they can instruct others with the same issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:48 pm 

assetman wrote:
....This did the trick, problem is SOLVED!

Great!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:55 am 

Hi,
For those who have issue to update their NS2 from 1.0.2 to 1.2.5 through LNA, please follow this :

Network recommendations for Share Update
    Stop any transfers to the NAS
    Stop all downloads, backups, copies, and programs that access or run from your LaCie device
    Disconnect all shares on the NAS you want to update from every machine connected to it.

Share Update Steps :
    Get Update Capsule from LaCie Web Site or from Tech Support.
    Connect to share named “MyShare”, and put Update capsule file in it. (only available for 1.0.2 version)
    Restart your device by using Web interface, or by using Power Button.
DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER CABLE TO RESTART THE DEVICE

Please be patient as the update may take some time. It is critical that the LaCie device remains powered on while the update is running.
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR DEVICE DURING UPDATE.

Your LaCie device will reboot twice, a first time after you asked for restart, to begin the update and a second time automatically when it has finished. Do not be concerned if your LaCie device boots slower than usual as it is normal during an update.

Regards,
LaCie R&D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:24 pm 

Also, keep in mind that with 1.2.5 the firmware can be set to automatically update (Dashboard / Support). I think that this is a new feature, which I have chosen to disable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:46 pm 

Using the latest 1.2.5 firmware for a while I'm still having problems with hard disc waking up with out apparent reason (especially annoying during night time). I have disabled multimedia server and transmission-daemon doesn't usually have any active torrents. Surely I can always shut down the device when I'm not at home or sleeping, but that is kinda against the whole purpose of network storage device.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:28 am 

Add "noatime" to your mounted points, so that disks won't store the access times.
Code:
mount | grep -E '(/dev/sda|unionfs)' | awk '{print $3;}' > /var/run/mounts
tac /var/run/mounts | while read d ;do mount $d -o remount,noatime ; done

Also, you can change the /etc/cron.d/logrotate file to make it run when you want
Code:
0 0 */2 * * root /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.tab

BTW, see the media server topic to see how to change its configuration, to avoid making it scan files.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:20 pm 

I have the same problem with spin up but the ssh.php script says if i follow the step

* http://<IP Address of NetworkSpace2>/webdav/OpenShare/ssh.php

a 404 not found error?