Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 pm 

a new version is released fvdw-sl-12-0

see for new features and improvement

http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=434

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:16 pm 

The next release is out version 12-1, download is available on the plugout forum

this one even has the possibility to install logitech mediaserver as add-on (special prepared version)

Release you can find here http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=617

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:40 pm 

version 13-0 is on its way some news on planned changes see here, the changes includes support for WebDav, Httrack and vpn as well as upgrade to samba 3.6.6 for nwsp2

http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=802

--edit: After testing samba 3.6.6 we concluded that from speed perspective it makes no sense to implement it on the nwsp2. It appears that the smb2 protocol improved transfer speeds on the nwsp2 compared to smb1 when using samba 3.6.6. However the smb1 performance of samba 3.6.6 is 25% lower then the smb1 performance of the samba version we use on this moment (3.0.24) Probably due to much bigger executables and cpu load of samba 3.6.6.
As result smb2 performance on samba 3.6.6 is lower then smb1 with samba 3.0.24
More info see http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=805

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 pm 

fvdw-sl-13-0 is released this week

more info here

http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=802

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 pm 

Hi fvdw.

I installed (first time) your firmware (version 11).

But the device is in the first boot and the blue and red light is blinking. It's normal? Just have to wait or I did something wrong ?

My disk have sectors of 4096 kb, and when I created the partitions, the question that appear is not the first and last cylinder, but the first and last sectors. I made the numbers of blocks similar of your tutorial. This works with sector of 4MB or only 512 KB?
I used Ubunto with kernel 3.2.031, I have to use 2.6.39.4 kernel?? It's my first time using Linux.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 pm 

ps if you use fdisk then you can easily switch between sectors and cylinders using the "u" command option

No this is not normal what you describe. It means it don't find a harddisk. Most likely it is not formatted correctly and the bootloader cannot read the disk

The sector size you mention indicates that you have an advanced format format disk. If that disk can not emulate the classic sector size of 512 bytes and you formattted it using GPT partition table the and your nwsp2 is a classic one then the bootloader of the nwsp2 will not be able to read it.

Did you format it using a GPT table? If so then it won't work as the nwsp2 classic can not read disks formatted in GPT. If you you have a nwsp2 Lite then it should be able to read the disk but it won't boot as the kernel of fvdw-sl doesn't support yet GPT (EFI) formatted disks. The kernel of version 13 supports it, but it is only of use for the nwsp2 lite.

If you hae a nwsp2 classic then and the disk is < 2.2 TB then you should format it using fdisk (=ms-dos partition table)

So to solve your issue we need to know a little more
(1) what nwsp2 do you have
(2) what harddisk are you using size, brand and advanced format yes/no
(3) how did you format it

lf you have an advanced format disk the you should modify the partition table to be used to align partitions with physical sectors, if you don't do it then it can cause severe performance loss on reading and writing to the disk. Some brands have special measures in the software of the drive that let you use the drive just like a 512 bytes one. You need to check on the internet.

ps on the plugout forum various topics can be found on this.
for instance this one
http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=581

please discuss further on plugout forum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:33 pm 

Ok...

Thanks a lot.
I will create a topic on plugout forum.

fvdw wrote:
ps if you use fdisk then you can easily switch between sectors and cylinders using the "u" command option

No this is not normal what you describe. It means it don't find a harddisk. Most likely it is not formatted correctly and the bootloader cannot read the disk

The sector size you mention indicates that you have an advanced format format disk. If that disk can not emulate the classic sector size of 512 bytes and you formattted it using GPT partition table the and your nwsp2 is a classic one then the bootloader of the nwsp2 will not be able to read it.

Did you format it using a GPT table? If so then it won't work as the nwsp2 classic can not read disks formatted in GPT. If you you have a nwsp2 Lite then it should be able to read the disk but it won't boot as the kernel of fvdw-sl doesn't support yet GPT (EFI) formatted disks. The kernel of version 13 supports it, but it is only of use for the nwsp2 lite.

If you hae a nwsp2 classic then and the disk is < 2.2 TB then you should format it using fdisk (=ms-dos partition table)

So to solve your issue we need to know a little more
(1) what nwsp2 do you have
(2) what harddisk are you using size, brand and advanced format yes/no
(3) how did you format it

lf you have an advanced format disk the you should modify the partition table to be used to align partitions with physical sectors, if you don't do it then it can cause severe performance loss on reading and writing to the disk. Some brands have special measures in the software of the drive that let you use the drive just like a 512 bytes one. You need to check on the internet.

ps on the plugout forum various topics can be found on this.
for instance this one
http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=581

please discuss further on plugout forum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00 pm 

version 14-0 is released

check it out here http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=963

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:35 pm 

News

we managed to compile u-boot of the nwsp2 classic and flash an adapted version to enable GPT partition table support, which means support for disk bigger then 2.2 TB (The nwsp2 Lite already has this).

It should also be possible to make other changes in u-boot, such as location of kernel or kernel arguments.
However the support for bigger disk is a nice feature as for a nas a disk can never be big enough

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 pm 

added a small program that will enable you to install fvdw-sl firmware from a computer running ms-windows withtout the need to remove the harddisk. No Linux knowledge pc required ;)

currently only supported for the nwsp2

This program also allows to talk to u-boot on any Lacie nas (for experts only :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 am 

fvdw wrote:
This program also allows to talk to u-boot on any Lacie nas (for experts only :mrgreen: )
Does it show the bootlog of a stock kernel? And a shell, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:50 pm 

if the stock kernel is compiled with netconsole support it will show the boot log when booting the kernel
so with this kind of options
Code:
CONFIG_NETCONSOLE=y
CONFIG_NETPOLL=y
# CONFIG_NETPOLL_TRAP is not set
CONFIG_NET_POLL_CONTROLLER=y
# CONFIG_VMXNET3 is not set

If isn't compiled with b=netconsole support it won't

What do you mean with
Quote:
And a shell, maybe?

My standalone kernel runs a bash shell that can be accessed using a telnet client.
The U-boot console give the Marvell>> prompt and so the U-boot "shell" (just like with clunc on a linux system)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm 

forgot to mention if you want to get boot log output on the netconsole you will need to set environment variable properly in u-boot console
Code:
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 netconsole=6666@${ipaddr}/,6666@${serverip}/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 pm 

I just looked at the defconfig of the 5big2 GPL sources, and the config params seems right.

fvdw wrote:
forgot to mention if you want to get boot log output on the netconsole you will need to set environment variable properly in u-boot console
Code:
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 netconsole=6666@${ipaddr}/,6666@${serverip}/
Bummer. I'm trying to help a guy with a failing 5big2, and it would be nice to have a bootlog. But I don't know if he is capable to change u-boot params.

fvdw wrote:
What do you mean with
Quote:
And a shell, maybe?
If the console output of the kernel is redirected through this interface, than maybe the getty shell on console is also redirected through this pipe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am 

the standalone kernel in the package compiled for the nwsp2 should also run on all kirkwood based lacie device when supported in the vanilla kernel. When I compiled it I alos enabled the others ;) .

Furthermore if this device is clunc sensitive yes than he can set u-boot parameters using the u-boot console in de the fvdw-sl console, then load the standalone or stock kernel via tftp or from a partition on the disk and boot it using the bootm command.