General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:58 pm 

Hi

As some of you may know some time ago I developed an alternative firmware for the lacie nwsp1 and philips spd8020. This firmware has now been ported to to the nwsp2 (network space 2) as well. Yesterday I released the first version fvdw-sl-9-0. It uses a linux 2.6.33.1 kernel specially compiled for the nwsp2.
I have running it now for more then two weeks on my nwsp2 I on a freshly prepared WD 2TB green disk without problems so I think it can be released as a beta version to be tested/used by other.
The fvdw-sl firmware has for example, ssh, samba, ftp, nfs server, unlimited number of users can be defined with assigning read/write rights per share for each user as you like. Also there are 5 media servers (minidlna, twonky, firefly, oxylbox, marvell) included and 2 torrent clients (Transmission nd torrentflux-b4rt).
It also support read/write on ntfs usb disks.

Maybe this is something for you if you are not satisfied with the lacie firmware :mrgreen: .

go here for more information and download

http://plugout.net/index.php

Be aware that it is a first and might need some improvement.

kind regards fvdw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:01 pm 

great job

but I'm afraid to overwrite the original firmware even if my ssh is unlocked

:?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:17 pm 

cyberdog wrote:
great job

:D , You can always restore it. (if you make a backup).
Another possibility is to prepare a new HDD and keep the original. The nwsp2 can be opened very easily. Only 4 nuts to remove the hard disk. Slide in the new HDD..
PS warranty of your nwsp2 will be void when you remove the hard disk as the seal will be broken. But you will always have the 1 TB HDD, then basically you would loose 30-40 euro's if it would fail during warranty period, not a big deal. But of course it is a matter of choice. If you can live with the original firmware..well no need for change. if you want some extras you need to take the (very small) risk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 pm 

cyberdog wrote:
great job

Yeah, I was afraid to overwrite the original firmware too. But my NS2 was stuck on startup with blinking blue led, and I couldn't even restore it to the default.
After 4 attempts to reinstall the Lacie firmware without success, I decided to give fvdw-sl alternative firmware a try before I dismantle my NS2 and use it as parts. And voila: The homemade firmware worked like charm, and sometimes I believe it's even better now...

Even it is still in beta stage, I do recommend it, (especially to those who have lost hope...)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:25 pm 

This is working great and has exactly what i need.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:13 pm 

for your info version fvdw-sl-10-0 has been released for the nwsp2

new features are cron task scheduler, backup menu, quick links in web interface to make browsing easier, upgrade of transmission to 2.42, minidlna to 1.0.22 nfs server to 1.2.5 (nfs-utils) and more
Also the nwsp2 power button is now supported
check it out if your interested here http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=176

PS In one of the next releases also the back side usb port will be integrated and an upgrade to linux 2.6.39.4, currently the fvdw-sl firmware is running using a 2.6.331 kernel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:25 am 

A few questions, because I'm very noob in linux :P
Is it possible to install it without dismounting the disk and do the DLNA clients support MKV + srt streaming?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:03 pm 

For first time install you need to take the harddisk out, but on the nwsp2 thats an easy job. It has several mediaservers like mindlna, twonky and firefly. You will need to check the webisyes of those servers to see if they can stream what you want.

Last edited by fvdw on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:28 pm 

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again - taking you feeds also, Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:00 pm 

fvdw wrote:
For first time install you need to take the harddisk out, but on the nwsp2 thats an easy job. It has several mediaservers like mindlna, twonky and firefly. You will need to check the webisyes of those servers to see if they can stream what you want.

I've read the how-to's but is it somehow possible to do it with a windows machine? Because I don't got a linux machine.
And can it, after the upgrade and again hooked up to the network, be mounted like a hardrive (like it is with original lacie firmware) + DNS support?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:08 pm 

boot your windows machine using a KNOPPIX bootable cd could be option. Thats how I did it in the past

The feature to use it as a hard drive is in the current version (fvdw-sl-10-0) not yet included, but we developed a kernel which supports that (using the back side usb port), it is based on the latest linux kernel 2.6.39.4 It will be added in one of the future releases.
Be aware that this option as implemented in the original firmware only gives acceses to one share with name USBshare that is defined on the nwsp2, so not for the total disk. Only data in this USBshare will be visible when hooking it up as a remote usb drive. Therefor of limited use.
Much easier to transfer data to it using samba, ftp or the NFS server.... Its is a network drive. If your main purpose is to use it as usb disk you beter buy a USB harddisk and not a NAS ;) But as said in future the feature will be added
DNS is supported in fvdw-sl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:13 pm 

I think you did not understand me :P I mean Lacie has a tool which allow you to mount the ns2 as hardrive while it is on the network :) So no USB just over the network. It will be displayed in My computer then.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:10 pm 

Flight777 wrote:
I think you did not understand me :P I mean Lacie has a tool which allow you to mount the ns2 as hardrive while it is on the network :) So no USB just over the network. It will be displayed in My computer then.

yep thats possible, you can make a network connection and assig a drive letter on your windows PC
But it will also show up in network (windows 7) or my network view in windows XP (if your windows pc has same workgroup name set as tyou have set on the nwsp2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:43 pm 

For people that are willing to try the firmware and let it install very easily, check out the post here:
viewtopic.php?f=221&p=19435#p19435

This provides my easy install script for the FVDW firmware for a broad range of LaCie devices.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 pm 

A new version has been released of the fvdw-sl firmware, version 11-0

this includes an upgrade of twkony server to version 6.0.34 and integration of mediatom mediaserver.
Also there is now support for back side USB port of the nwsp2. And you can use https protocol for the webinterface if you want to use it via internet
The new firmware also support the nwsp2 Lite version
It runs on a Linux 2.6.39.4 kernel

more info here http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=335