Update fail: data still on drive but cifs shares not visible

spookypeanut

Update fail: data still on drive but cifs shares not visible

Post by spookypeanut » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:54 pm

Hello people,
First post, so please be gentle with me. I tried to update the firmware on my NS2 to 2.0.5 recently (from 1.x, I forget what I'm afraid), and it appeared to work, but afterwards I couldn't access my shares. Having exhausted all other possibilities, I decided that nothing was to be lost (and everything to gain) by gaining root, so I did (using this v useful thread: viewtopic.php?f=236&t=4477&start=15). It turns out that my drive has /dev/sdb2 commented out in /etc/fstab, so I uncommented. It then mounted sdb2, but still nothing was share. This page: http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... work_Space claims that I should see just "openshare" and "myshare" folders in /home, as /home/openshare and /home/myshare are the ones shared via cifs. But I'm seeing many more. Let me show you:

Code: Select all

[root@spookydrive /]# ls -l /home       
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             6 Aug 27 12:16 afp_db
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            25 Jul 18  2010 autoupdate
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root            14 Mar 21  2027 images
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            18 Jan  1  1970 share
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root            22 Mar 21  2027 shares
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             6 Aug 27 12:16 tmp
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             6 Mar 21  2027 torrent_dir
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root            68 Mar 21  2027 var
My data seems to be in the "shares/2" directory. Is this a change in the 2.x firmware?
What I'm trying to figure out is if there's an easy way to get the correct things shared, and thus get back on track. I don't even know how the cifs sharing is implemented from the NS2, all pointers gladly received.
Obviously this isn't mission critical, as I can scp any valuable data off if required. However, my drive is about 90% full, and transfers at about 2MB/s, so to refill it would take nearly a week of 24/7 copying: if I can avoid that in any way, I will ;-)
Any suggestions?

spookypeanut

Re: Update fail: data still on drive but cifs shares not vis

Post by spookypeanut » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Hmmm, I *may* have tracked the problem down to my unicorn.conf: it seems the "share" section has no mention of OpenShare or MyShare, but only USBShare. But then, maybe that's normal. Could anyone with a working NS2 possibly post their /etc/unicorn.conf so I can see what it *should* look like please? (As an attachment, obv, it's quite big to put inline)

spookypeanut

Re: Update fail: data still on drive but cifs shares not vis

Post by spookypeanut » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 pm

For those who need closure: I managed to get my data back by doing a factory reset, which stored it all in a Recovery section on openshare. I then updated the firmware (via 1.2.5) to 2.0.6, and all is still there. I'm now having permissions issues, but that seems like a slightly simpler issue :-)