General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:47 pm 

Hi,

I own two Zyxel NSA-221 NAS units. One older unity with two spanned JBOD drives and the newer unit has two drives set up for RAID 5.

These are on my gigabit wired network attached to a gigabit switch.

When copying files to/from two laptops on my wired network, I get speeds of 55-60 MB/sec.

When copying files to/from the old NSA-221 on my wired laptop, I get sufficient (not great but OK) speeds of 8-12 MB/sec.

But, when copying to/from the new NSA-221, I am only getting speeds of about 4 MB/sec and it often hangs up, requiring me to start my upload/download over, especially if there are files downloading in the download service of the NSA-221 at the same time I am copying a file...

Is this a side effect of using RAID-5 or is the unit faulty?

Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:19 pm 

A '221 should do better than 8-12MB/sec. I'd expect 20~25. Are you sure you have all gigabit between the PC and the NAS? 8-12MB is a typical 100Mbit speed. Capable cables? Gigabit needs 8 wire cables. If you have a 4 wire cable it will switch back to 100Mbit.

The box doesn't support raid5. I suppose you mean raid1. And yes, writing raid1 is a bit slower than jbod, but not that much. And for reading it doesn't matter. So something is wrong. I'd first check the cabling (have you already tried to exchange both NASses?) and 2nd try a factory reset.