adding a 2nd disk

Oxnas 810 based
techortreat

adding a 2nd disk

Post by techortreat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:33 am

hi - I have been using the NSA221 for a couple of years with a single 2TB disk. I started running out of space and recently added a 2nd 3TB disk to the unit. However it only shows up as Volume 2 and I am not able to view any files.
I tried the initialization option on the provided software and tried both JBOD and Individual disk options. However both these options gave me a message that it would erase all files. I don't want to lose any data from my first disk. How do I set up the 2nd disk without erasing any data from the first disk?

Thanks

Mijzelf

Re: adding a 2nd disk

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:59 am

When creating a volume on a new disk, all data on that disk will be destroyed. So in your case you should be able to create a 2nd volume on a 2nd disk and it won't harm the data on the first one.

But to stay on the safe side, you can take out the old disk, create a volume on the 2nd, and then put back the 1st.

techortreat

Post by techortreat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks Mijzelf.
I already created the 2nd volume. But if I try to access it, I get the message " he operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Volume2” can’t be found"
So do I need to run the initialization wizard? THat's where I am afraid, I might lose the data on the first.
Should I remove the first disk and run the initialization wizard?

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm sorry, I don't know what that message means.
Should I remove the first disk and run the initialization wizard?
At least it won't hurt. Maybe you'll have to re-enable the shared on the old disk, afterwards, but of course the wizard can't destroy data on a disk which is not plugged in.

techortreat

Post by techortreat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:33 am

Thanks. I removed the first disk and did the initialization.
It made the 2nd disk as the primary with the default shared folders (admin/video/music etc).
Then I put the first disk back in. It had got rid of the earlier shared folders which I then manually added.
Thanks for your help! I didn't lose any data.