Media Server

Oxnas 810 based
Post Reply
sarumork
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 am

Media Server

Post by sarumork » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:54 am

Hi,
the media server embedded in NSA221 doesn't FF/skip or Pause in my Samsung TV.
I found in /etc/local/dmsf/conf the file zyxel.conf
It is possible to add a specific renderer in this file for Samsung TV?

If not, what media server you suggest on NSA221, according to his hardware?
Serviio?
Plex?
MiniDLNA?
Mediatomb?

I need to stream on Samsung TV in DLNA mode with FF/Skip and pause.
I need media server has "autodiscover" for new file without need to do "rebuild database" or "rescan".
I need to stream MKV.
Subtitles are not necessary but if there are, it is better.

Thank you for you reply

Mijzelf
Posts: 6194
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 am

Re: Media Server

Post by Mijzelf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:49 am

I don't think Serviio or Plex will run fine on your (slow and low on ram) NAS. So minidlna and mediatomb remain. And sorry, I have no idea about their features in combination with a Samsung TV.

sarumork
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 am

Re: Media Server

Post by sarumork » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:25 am

Mijzelf wrote:I don't think Serviio or Plex will run fine on your (slow and low on ram) NAS. So minidlna and mediatomb remain. And sorry, I have no idea about their features in combination with a Samsung TV.
Thanks for your reply and for your work, Mijzelf...
Yesterday, I installed Serviio 1.3.1 on my NSA221, following this link:
http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8933

Everything goes fine and my C serie Samsung TV can FF/skip/pause/restore stream a video from NAS!
I launched library scan of my photo/video/music and today I'll test other functionalities and other devices...
CPU was 100% during scan but I think is normal behavior, RAM was only 50% full.
I stopped embedded mediaserver to free many ram possible!
I see if it works in the evening.....
:roll: :roll:

sarumork
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 am

Re: Media Server

Post by sarumork » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:25 am

After one week of trying, I confirm that Serviio work properly on my Zyxel 221.
I can watch movies on different devices: Samsung TV C-serie, Playstation 3, WD TV Live ...
Through Onkyo TX-NR616 I listen mp3 and it works fine.
The only problem I had was only on TV that occasionally fails to explore the contents of the folders but when trying again it works.
RAM: 80% (200 Mb / 256Mb)
CPU: 3% when not streaming.

Soon I try transcoding and subtitles!

ellegon1259
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:59 am

Re: Media Server

Post by ellegon1259 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:03 am

Hi

How are you gettin on with running Serviio 1.3.1 on your NSA221. I am planning doing this myself just curious i have data on my drives am i safe just doing the process you details with the drives connected and any advice

Many thanks

sarumork
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 am

Re: Media Server

Post by sarumork » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:26 am

ellegon1259 wrote:Hi

How are you gettin on with running Serviio 1.3.1 on your NSA221. I am planning doing this myself just curious i have data on my drives am i safe just doing the process you details with the drives connected and any advice

Many thanks

Very good!
It's stable since five months!

peanstein
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:33 am

Re: Media Server

Post by peanstein » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:59 am

I installed the FFB stick and cannot login via ssh.
I enabled the ssh via Telnet and got confirmation that it turned on ssh.

I use root/root, root/nas admin PW and user,user but nothing lets me in. All says the password is not accepted.
Might anyone have a detailed write up on any quirks with a Xytel NSA221?

I am trying to stream movies from my Samsung Smart TV using the built in Media Server but it does not work correctly.

thx for any help.

VP

sarumork
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 am

Re: Media Server

Post by sarumork » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:56 am

peanstein wrote:I installed the FFB stick and cannot login via ssh.
I enabled the ssh via Telnet and got confirmation that it turned on ssh.

I use root/root, root/nas admin PW and user,user but nothing lets me in. All says the password is not accepted.
Might anyone have a detailed write up on any quirks with a Xytel NSA221?

I am trying to stream movies from my Samsung Smart TV using the built in Media Server but it does not work correctly.

thx for any help.

VP
I log in with root/admin_password with putty and WinSCP after installing this:
http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP_as_zypkg

Hope it helps and forgive my english...

TXcrude
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Media Server

Post by TXcrude » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:35 pm

sarumork wrote:Hi,
the media server embedded in NSA221 doesn't FF/skip or Pause in my Samsung TV.
I can pause and FF/RE when using my 2011 LG SmartTV but not from my 2014 LG SmartTV (WebOS) so I probably has to do with your Samsung TV and not the Zyxel features.

see this old thread about some config changes for Twonky

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-5 ... amsung-tv/

Post Reply