General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:21 pm 

Ok a little background:
I have the NSA221, had a couple small disks in there and it was working ok.
Did a firmware upgrade a while ago I'm now on 4.41.
Then upgraded both disks to nice shiney 3.0 TB WD Reds and put them in Raid 1 configuration, this was about a year ago.
I run Serviio on a windows machine that talks to the NSA 221 box and serves the films to various DLNA clients around the house (PS3, XBOX, Tablet, Phone) and a couple days ago it all stopped working.

The NSA 221 boots up the main light comes on and the HD lights both rattle for a while and then turns itself off after the bootup sequence (I assume)
I have tried removing each disk 1 by 1 and the system will not boot with either (I haven't tried the disk from bay 2 in bay 1).
The NSA 221 boots fine without any disks and I can access the admin page and the only thing of interest in the log is:
Quote:
Cannot init applets: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/i-data/md0/.zyxel'

Which I expect comes from a lack of disks.

So where do I go from here?
Is there a way I can see the bootup log from a failed bootup with the disks in it? I know it is probably going to tell me my disks have died and all my data is gone, but I am not convinced.
Can I check on my data from my windows machine? (An application to read the EXT4 partition??)

Any help would be a massive help!!

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:57 pm 

I guess your power supply is (almost) dead, and can't deliver enough juice to spin up the disks.
Quote:
Is there a way I can see the bootup log from a failed bootup with the disks in it?
Sort of. There is no logfile (I don't think the disks are mounted, so it cannot be stored), but if you connect the serial port, you can see a live bootlog.

Quote:
Can I check on my data from my windows machine?
Maybe UFS Explorer can. But of course a Linux Live CD or -USB stick can do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 pm 

First of all thanks so much for your reply!!

Yes everything I read suggested power supply, which hopefully means my data is still in tact (but maybe not any more after tonight's exploits).
I even got a reply from the Zyxel knowledge base people who said have you tried booting it with one disk (when I already explained I did in the ticket I raised!!) So after I replied with that you could see the tumble weed going by ever since..

I assume one of the USB's on this NSA221 is the serial port you speak of. I have RJ45 on the back and 2xUSB and 1xUSB on the front. Either way I don't think I have the correct cable so I will probably be binning the NAS at some point.

I installed Disk Internals Linux Reader on my windows box and plugged the disk in but it couldn't be accessed.

I have downloaded a Linux live CD and am booting a "spare" machine with it and I have the HDD1 from the NAS in it. I have read a tonne of websites about how to mount the RAID but most of them fail for me somewhere along the line. The one I hit most is:
Quote:
unknown filesystem type 'linux_raid_member'

My fdisk -l and my mdadm --examine look fairly good (from a non Linux users view).
I apologise for the attached photos I don't know how to get the text from the Linux window to this windows box yet.
Attachment:
IMG_1212.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1214.JPG

There are suggestions that I try:
    run mdadm --assemble
    Force the disk to Ext3
    Create a virtual device

I have tried these 3 and they all fail at some point.

There was a suggestion that I try:
    run mdadm --assemble --force
But both of those sounded a bit serious for a novice, and I was worried I may be heading down a path of no return..

Could someone please advise me on what I should do try next?
And tell me how to get my output in some kind of useful format so I don't have to take photos??

T.I.A

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 am 

To mount the data partition from a single disk you should execute
Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda2 --run
After that you can mount /dev/md0. If you want to keep the array synced, mount it read only.

Quote:
I apologise for the attached photos I don't know how to get the text from the Linux window to this windows box yet.
The easiest way is to login from the Windows box over network using PuTTY. (PuTTY copy&paste)