Shares vanished

Oxnas 810 based
adriansienicki

Re: Shares vanished

Post by adriansienicki » Sun May 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Yes, I have, it works fine and I can here drives working - that implies it's not a power supply failure.
Now FFP stick works fine. I wonder if it is possible to replace the original firmware with some other linux i.e. NanoNAS or MINT? I haven't tried that before but I used to work on freeBSD based NAS. It needs to have a native support for NFS that's all I need. After all it's nothing more than just an embedded system and perhaps it's possible.
Unfortunately, I'm disappointed with my NAS221 and providing I'm incapable of fixing it in a normal way round, I will switch to x86 based NSA.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sun May 24, 2015 9:09 pm

adriansienicki wrote:I wonder if it is possible to replace the original firmware with some other linux i.e. NanoNAS or MINT?
Yes, theoretically. Here is a story about putting Debian on that nas. Unfortunately you're stick to that old kernel (the Oxnas 810 is not supported by the Vanilla kernel) so a modern distro is impossible. In the Iomega HMNHD subforum you can find info about upgrading the provided Debian Lenny to Squeeze, (you need to keep Lenny udev), but Wheezy won't work.
Unfortunately, I'm disappointed with my NAS221 and providing I'm incapable of fixing it in a normal way round, I will switch to x86 based NSA.
An x86 based nas is not necessarily easier. The examples I have seen also booted from flash, using u-boot. So installing another distro is not as simple as on a PC. At least one of them had an uncommon nic, so I don't know if you could easily upgrade the kernel. Basically putting you in the same deadended street.
An x86 based nas has more power, but it also uses more power.

elsantos

Post by elsantos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi guys,

I am having exactly the same problem with the same errors.
Did you manage to solve this out?

elsantos

Post by elsantos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm

adriansienicki wrote:and here's the xfs_db's output:

Code: Select all

/ # xfs_db -c "freespc -s" /dev/md0
xfs_db: /dev/md0 contains a mounted filesystem

fatal error -- couldn't initialize XFS library
/ #
In my case it helped https://discuss.pivotal.io/hc/en-us/art ... ilesystem-

umount /dev/md0
2. xfs_repair' with -L option:

xfs_repair -L /dev/md0

Reboot
it is bit risky cause it may currupt data.

So far all the movies and music are playing just fine.

I trully suspect tha backupplanner is creating this situation. I tryed to install 3 times and i remember that after installing it... the box goes crazy.

The adventure got me to know the ffp stick (mijzelf: goed gedaan jongen!) Can you point me a nice package to perform full backup (model 221).

Regards
Last edited by elsantos on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 am

I am using rsnapshot, which is a script on top of rsync. It can create incremental backups which behave as full backups.

adriansienicki

Post by adriansienicki » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 am

Hi guys,

I mounted my fs on one of the Linux distros (it must have been Debian). I copied the data to a different, ntfs-based drive.
For the sake of safety, I keep one unencrypted copy of my critical files on such a drive.
I switched to the Zyxel NAS540 and quarterly I'm doing a backup by synchronising the most critical files with a ntfs USB drive.

I lost a lot of data and my NAS221 seems to be unable to respond to anything but a ping command. It's still possible to run ffp but for the time being it's as useful as a paperweight.

elsantos

Post by elsantos » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 am

Mijzelf wrote:I am using rsnapshot, which is a script on top of rsync. It can create incremental backups which behave as full backups.
I was able to install BackupPlanner but erros keep occurring when trying to backup.

Well I decided to backup/copy manualy and soonly uppgrade to another box, maybe Netgear. The 221 will be used for backup purposes only.