General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NSA221 won't boot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:31 pm 

I have an NSA221 that will no longer boot, (green system led blinks indefinitely) I *think* it happened after I used FFP to enable sshd, and later executed 'reboot' command via SSH.

Now it's not booting, not coming on the network. Any ideas how can I attempt to bring it back online?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Post subject: Re: NSA221 won't boot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:38 pm 

circoloco wrote:
I *think* it happened after I used FFP to enable sshd, and later executed 'reboot' command via SSH.
Unless some time machine is used, you can be sure it happened after that, as you need a booted system to run FFP.
If you mean that you think that rebooting over SSH caused the problem, then I'll have to ask for the exact history.

Simply installing FFP, enabling SSH and executing 'reboot' won't do any harm. Actually I wouldn't know a simple way to get your scenario. But I must admit I never had a 221 in my hands. On the 300 series the system led stops flashing before FFP is started. (Unless you use an FFP stick, but in that case you can simply pull the stick in case of troubles).
Maybe this is different on a 221. AFAIK the blinking led is powerup default, and the 'stop blinking' command is at the end of the startscript. The question is, is FFP started before or after this command, and is that call blocking?

The box is 'not coming on the network'. What does that mean? It doesn't show up in 'Network' in Windows, or it doesn't request an IP address from your router? If it 'only' doesn't show up in Windows it is possible that just Samba isn't running, and that you can access the Webinterface and/or SSH.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:01 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
circoloco wrote:
I *think* it happened after I used FFP to enable sshd, and later executed 'reboot' command via SSH.
Unless some time machine is used, you can be sure it happened after that, as you need a booted system to run FFP.
If you mean that you think that rebooting over SSH caused the problem, then I'll have to ask for the exact history.

Thanks for a quick reply. And I should have been more clear. More or less the history is that I couldn't see my volume in the UI, so I tried out FFP to try and understand what could be wrong from CLI (I'm not a storage guy though, but wanted to poke around). I believe the last thing I was doing over SSH was looking at parted and I think I understood that volume wasn't mounted, or it didn't have partition.
If I recall (I really shoud have taken screenshots or snippets of the output) using parted, I saw there were two partitions in the table. I attempted to remove / recreate partition, but in the end I received an error, that I decided to reboot the NAS.
Since then I couldn't get it back on.
I know I'm being very vague, but that's all I can recall.
Quote:
Simply installing FFP, enabling SSH and executing 'reboot' won't do any harm. Actually I wouldn't know a simple way to get your scenario. But I must admit I never had a 221 in my hands. On the 300 series the system led stops flashing before FFP is started. (Unless you use an FFP stick, but in that case you can simply pull the stick in case of troubles).
Maybe this is different on a 221. AFAIK the blinking led is powerup default, and the 'stop blinking' command is at the end of the startscript. The question is, is FFP started before or after this command, and is that call blocking?
Since the issue occurred I had removed the HDD, and FFP stick. It won't boot at all, LED blinks indefinitely.
Quote:
The box is 'not coming on the network'. What does that mean? It doesn't show up in 'Network' in Windows, or it doesn't request an IP address from your router? If it 'only' doesn't show up in Windows it is possible that just Samba isn't running, and that you can access the Webinterface and/or SSH.
Not coming on network i.e. it doesn't get IP from the router, which is probably the worst of my troubles :-)

Hope it's a bit more clear, and hope you might have some ideas. Or should I start looking to buy a new NAS?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:54 pm 

Hm. So your volume was gone, and parted gave an error? Have you checked the disk for errors? (Using an Linux system)

circoloco wrote:
Since the issue occurred I had removed the HDD, and FFP stick. It won't boot at all, LED blinks indefinitely.
Can you remember how you installed the disk originally? I'm not sure if the system is supposed to boot, without harddisk. I vaguely remember that it doesn't have enough ram to boot it's complete OS, and you need to use some tool to upload the firmware over FTP, or something like that.

It is perfectly possible that a damaged partition table will keep the firmware in flash from finding the firmware on disk.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:21 pm 

You make a good point, though based on this thread I think it should boot without disks:
"....The NSA 221 boots fine without any disks and I can access the admin page and the only thing of interest in the log is..."

Mijzelf wrote:
Hm. So your volume was gone, and parted gave an error? Have you checked the disk for errors? (Using an Linux system)
Parted gave some error, but it could have been a valid error, like an unsupported operation, etc.
I'll deploy a linux VM and see if I can passthrough the disk to it, will update the thread with the outcome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:33 pm 

So, deployed a linux VM and can see the disk.
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 16.1 GB, 16106127360 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1958 cylinders, total 31457280 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0006ff59

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048    29362175    14680064   83  Linux
/dev/sda2        29364222    31455231     1045505    5  Extended
/dev/sda5        29364224    31455231     1045504   82  Linux swap / Solaris

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPT

parted does look different, it definitely had two partitions. I do remember removing a partitiion and trying to create a new one, unsuccessfully.
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) select /dev/sdb                                                 
Using /dev/sdb
(parted) print                                                           
Model: TOSHIBA DT01ABA300 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End    Size   File system     Name       Flags
 1      1049kB  512MB  511MB  linux-swap(v1)  mitraswap

Quote:
It is perfectly possible that a damaged partition table will keep the firmware in flash from finding the firmware on disk.
I think your theory may be correct.
How do I go about from here?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:13 am 

Quote:
Code:
/dev/sdb1               1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPT
That is a GTP partition table. fdisk can't handle that, but parted can.

Quote:
Depends. If you have data on that disk that you want to save, you can use TestDisk to repair the partition table, and then mount the volume. If you only want to revive your nas, you can use fdisk or parted to delete all partitions, and try to start over with a 'fresh' disk again.
Maybe the firmware chokes on the absence of the 2nd partition.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:38 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Quote:
Depends. If you have data on that disk that you want to save, you can use TestDisk to repair the partition table, and then mount the volume. If you only want to revive your nas, you can use fdisk or parted to delete all partitions, and try to start over with a 'fresh' disk again.
Maybe the firmware chokes on the absence of the 2nd partition.
I don't really care about the data on it.
If I was to delete all partitions, do I simply run
Code:
sudo parted -s /dev/sdb rm 1
or should I format it different way?