General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zyxel 221 very slow
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 am 

I loaded my NSA 221 with 2 3-TB hard drives running in Raid 1. My network is running 1 Gigabite speeds but my transfer rate copying files to my NAS is way too slow, like 2 mb/sec. What could be wrong??? :?

Post subject: Re: Zyxel 221 very slow
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:05 pm 

No one wants to respond to issues on this board. For everyone else, I had to do a factory reset and the system went back to running normally.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:41 am 

hi all,

i have the same problem, i did a factory reset too, but:

some settings remained (packages, dropbox), the others were lost.

and at the end, speed is NOT improved :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:24 pm 

batabe wrote:
i did a factory reset too, but:

A factory reset erases a small flash partition, where most settings are stored. It doesn't touch the disk(s). The packages are stored on disk, and so survive a factory reset.

What speeds do you measure? What kind of network do you have?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
batabe wrote:
i did a factory reset too, but:

A factory reset erases a small flash partition, where most settings are stored. It doesn't touch the disk(s). The packages are stored on disk, and so survive a factory reset.

What speeds do you measure? What kind of network do you have?

i have simple 100mbps network, wireless G.

copy wired: at about 10mbps,
copy wireless at about 4 mbps

actually, there is a some improvement, earlier wireless copy was at about 2-2,5 mbps

how can i still improve the speed? (wireless mainly)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:30 pm 

I have some bad new for you. I think you are mixing up bits and bytes. Your network is 100Mbit. I guess your wired copy speed is 10Mbyte per second, which is a normal value on a 100Mbps network. 10Mbyte equals 80Mbit, and with some overhead your network is saturated.

The same is true for the wireless. Wireless G can do 54Mbit, half duplex, which means only one device can be transmitting at a time. While copying there is also some traffic in the other direction, for handshake. So the transmitting device is changing several times a second, in which case 4MByte/sec (which equals about 40Mbps) is actually a good value. Things get worse when you have several devices on wireless, because they all have to share that single 54Mbit.

The only way to get significantly higher throughput is by using a faster network. Gigabit for wired, or N for wireless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
I have some bad new for you. I think you are mixing up bits and bytes. Your network is 100Mbit. I guess your wired copy speed is 10Mbyte per second, which is a normal value on a 100Mbps network. 10Mbyte equals 80Mbit, and with some overhead your network is saturated.

The same is true for the wireless. Wireless G can do 54Mbit, half duplex, which means only one device can be transmitting at a time. While copying there is also some traffic in the other direction, for handshake. So the transmitting device is changing several times a second, in which case 4MByte/sec (which equals about 40Mbps) is actually a good value. Things get worse when you have several devices on wireless, because they all have to share that single 54Mbit.

The only way to get significantly higher throughput is by using a faster network. Gigabit for wired, or N for wireless.

thank you for the explanation.
a really mixed the bits and bytes, but you knew what i ment. and mixed my wireless too, it is a N-router.