General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:07 am 

I have an NSA 221 (also a NSA 320 which has its own problems which are in another thread) which appears to have lost all network.

It used to sit quietly next to my printer and function mainly as a print server but also as a NAS drive. Since yesterday it has just stopped. There are no network lights on the back when I connect it so I suspect the network hardware has failed or needs to be persuaded that it is going to come back to life.

So how can I diagnose what is really failing on this box? Can I get the box to come back to life at all? If I can not get the network to come back to life is there anyway to get the data off the drive? As I said I also have an NSA 320 drive but when I fired that up it didn't appear to work either, that drive just sat there forever with the system LED flashing, I had hoped that I would just be able to swap drives from one to another and so recover the data that way?

What is the internal file structure on the drive in an NSA 221 drive? From some of the logs here I am guessing it is linux based box in which case could I just plug it into a USB SATA connector and then into a linux box and see it as a mountable drive from there? Or am I just clutching at straws

Thanks in advance for any help

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:21 pm 

The box indeed runs Linux, and the disk(s) should be able to be read from any Linux box. Depending on the exact distro it can be a little more difficult then just plugging it in, because the filesystem is actually on a raid array, even on a single disk setup. But no panic, issues can be squashed.

The 320 should accept the disk(s) of the 221 without problems, and serve your files. If you had any non-standard shares you'll have to re-enable them in the webinterface.

You see no network leds. Have you tried another cable or another port on your switch? When I remove the network cable of my '325 there is no network led either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:42 pm 

Same network cable in the 320 shows LEDs lighting up. Different network cable in another known working port on another hub also fails. I could get another NSA host and just swap the drives into that but this is the third NSA host I have had fail and I've no intention of getting another zyxel box. If I can make these work then fine they'll do as a second NAS host but otherwise they are so much landfill and I just want my data back.