NAS fresh disk

kris28
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am

NAS fresh disk

Post by kris28 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:17 am

Hello, following a failed disk, I porcedé a reinstallation of a new disk with the tutorial found here -> http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... fresh_disk_ (D2_Network_2)
But it does not work, I had a mistake in the copy of the sda7.tgz sda7 partition (or it tells me it is full)
however, I have spent otherwise. but I still do not have operational nas.

kalopsia
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by kalopsia » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Hi,

Did you managed to reinstall your NAS, 'cause I have the same error & could not find a solution.

Thanks for your reply

phkl55
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:48 am

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by phkl55 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 am

I did and succeed to build a new disk from scratch.

To create the disk :

Download:
sda6,sda7 and sda8 from http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... rk2/2.2.5/
mbr from http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... e2/1.2.93/
Copy the files on a USB key

Connect the new disk to a Linux PC (Ubuntu is just fine)

sudo –apt-get update
sudo su

Find the device name of the disk:

cat /proc/partitions

(Let assume the disk name is sda for the rest of the tutorial)

Copy the files from the USB key (computer/media/cdrom) to /home/ubuntu/Public:

mbr, sda6.gz, sda7.tgz, sda8.tgz

Write mbr to disk:

dd if=/home/ubuntu/Public/mbr of=/dev/sda

Create the disk partitions:
- One extended partition sda1 of 250 sectors for the 6 logical partitions sda5..sda10
- One primary partition for the user data
Use the “c” (DOS) and “u” (Units) options to start a sector 63 and specify the partition size in sectors

fdisk /dev/sda
c
u
#extended partition:
n(ew) e(xtended) 1 (default) 1 (default) 250

#logical partitions:
n(ew) l(ogical) 5 (default) 1 (default) 32
n(ew) l(ogical) 6 (default) 33 (default) 33
n(ew) l(ogical) 7 (default) 34 (default) 35
n(ew) l(ogical) 8 (default) 36 (default) 141
n(ew) l(ogical) 9 (default) 142 (default) 249
n(ew) l(ogical) 10 (default) 250

#primary partition:
n(ew) p(rimary) 2 (default) 251 (default)

#modify sda5 type:
t(ype) 5 82

#verify the list
p

#should be:
Disk /dev/sda: 2000.xxx GB, xxx bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, xxx cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 250 2008093+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 251 121601 974751907+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 1 32 256977 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda6 33 33 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 34 34 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 35 140 851413+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 141 249 875511 83 Linux
/dev/sda10 250 250 8001 83 Linux

#write the table:
w

Format sda7, sda8, sda9 and sda2

mkswap /dev/sdb5

mke2fs –j /dev/sda7
mke2fs –j /dev/sda8
mke2fs –j /dev/sda9

mkfs.xfs –f /dev/sdb2


Configure sda6:

gzip -dc =/home/ubuntu/Public/sda6.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb6


Configure sda7:

mkdir /tmp/md0
mount /dev/sd7 tmp/md0
cd /tmp/md0
tar xzf /full/path/to/sda7.tgz
cd ../..
umount /tmp/md0

Configure sda8:

mount /dev/sd8 tmp/md0
cd /tmp/md0
tar xzf /full/path/to/sda8.tgz
cd ../..
umount /tmp/md0

Configure sda10:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda10

Install the new HDD on the D2 NAS and execute a factory reset:
The NAS will be up an running Version 2.2.5

To update to the latest version 2.2.9.3:
-Download the capsule file from Lacie's FTP site: update.lacie.com [user:d2network2 pwd:d2network2] folder: 1.1/prod/2.2.9.3
-Create a folder Update under Share and copy the capsule file in the folder
-Factory Reset your NAS:
Press and hold the power button.
Release the button when the LED becomes solid red (after about 10 seconds).
When the LED begins blinking again press the button again. The LED will only blink for 5 seconds. If you fail to press the button before that 5 seconds is up you will need to start over from the second step.

Good luck

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:04 am

Hay phkl55 , What you success replace old disk with new fresh disk with method below ? Please confirm so i want try with my d2 network 2, thanks
phkl55 wrote:I did and succeed to build a new disk from scratch.

To create the disk :

Download:
sda6,sda7 and sda8 from http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... rk2/2.2.5/
mbr from http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... e2/1.2.93/
Copy the files on a USB key

Connect the new disk to a Linux PC (Ubuntu is just fine)

sudo –apt-get update
sudo su

Find the device name of the disk:

cat /proc/partitions

(Let assume the disk name is sda for the rest of the tutorial)

Copy the files from the USB key (computer/media/cdrom) to /home/ubuntu/Public:

mbr, sda6.gz, sda7.tgz, sda8.tgz

Write mbr to disk:

dd if=/home/ubuntu/Public/mbr of=/dev/sda

Create the disk partitions:
- One extended partition sda1 of 250 sectors for the 6 logical partitions sda5..sda10
- One primary partition for the user data
Use the “c” (DOS) and “u” (Units) options to start a sector 63 and specify the partition size in sectors

fdisk /dev/sda
c
u
#extended partition:
n(ew) e(xtended) 1 (default) 1 (default) 250

#logical partitions:
n(ew) l(ogical) 5 (default) 1 (default) 32
n(ew) l(ogical) 6 (default) 33 (default) 33
n(ew) l(ogical) 7 (default) 34 (default) 35
n(ew) l(ogical) 8 (default) 36 (default) 141
n(ew) l(ogical) 9 (default) 142 (default) 249
n(ew) l(ogical) 10 (default) 250

#primary partition:
n(ew) p(rimary) 2 (default) 251 (default)

#modify sda5 type:
t(ype) 5 82

#verify the list
p

#should be:
Disk /dev/sda: 2000.xxx GB, xxx bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, xxx cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 250 2008093+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 251 121601 974751907+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 1 32 256977 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda6 33 33 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 34 34 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 35 140 851413+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 141 249 875511 83 Linux
/dev/sda10 250 250 8001 83 Linux

#write the table:
w

Format sda7, sda8, sda9 and sda2

mkswap /dev/sdb5

mke2fs –j /dev/sda7
mke2fs –j /dev/sda8
mke2fs –j /dev/sda9

mkfs.xfs –f /dev/sdb2


Configure sda6:

gzip -dc =/home/ubuntu/Public/sda6.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb6


Configure sda7:

mkdir /tmp/md0
mount /dev/sd7 tmp/md0
cd /tmp/md0
tar xzf /full/path/to/sda7.tgz
cd ../..
umount /tmp/md0

Configure sda8:

mount /dev/sd8 tmp/md0
cd /tmp/md0
tar xzf /full/path/to/sda8.tgz
cd ../..
umount /tmp/md0

Configure sda10:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda10

Install the new HDD on the D2 NAS and execute a factory reset:
The NAS will be up an running Version 2.2.5

To update to the latest version 2.2.9.3:
-Download the capsule file from Lacie's FTP site: update.lacie.com [user:d2network2 pwd:d2network2] folder: 1.1/prod/2.2.9.3
-Create a folder Update under Share and copy the capsule file in the folder
-Factory Reset your NAS:
Press and hold the power button.
Release the button when the LED becomes solid red (after about 10 seconds).
When the LED begins blinking again press the button again. The LED will only blink for 5 seconds. If you fail to press the button before that 5 seconds is up you will need to start over from the second step.

Good luck

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:21 pm

phkl55 wrote:I did and succeed to build a new disk from scratch.

To create the disk :

Download:
sda6,sda7 and sda8 from http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... rk2/2.2.5/
mbr from http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... e2/1.2.93/
Copy the files on a USB key

Connect the new disk to a Linux PC (Ubuntu is just fine)

sudo –apt-get update
sudo su

Find the device name of the disk:

cat /proc/partitions

(Let assume the disk name is sda for the rest of the tutorial)

Copy the files from the USB key (computer/media/cdrom) to /home/ubuntu/Public:

mbr, sda6.gz, sda7.tgz, sda8.tgz

Write mbr to disk:

dd if=/home/ubuntu/Public/mbr of=/dev/sda

Create the disk partitions:
- One extended partition sda1 of 250 sectors for the 6 logical partitions sda5..sda10
- One primary partition for the user data
Use the “c” (DOS) and “u” (Units) options to start a sector 63 and specify the partition size in sectors

fdisk /dev/sda
c
u
#extended partition:
n(ew) e(xtended) 1 (default) 1 (default) 250

#logical partitions:
n(ew) l(ogical) 5 (default) 1 (default) 32
n(ew) l(ogical) 6 (default) 33 (default) 33
n(ew) l(ogical) 7 (default) 34 (default) 35
n(ew) l(ogical) 8 (default) 36 (default) 141
n(ew) l(ogical) 9 (default) 142 (default) 249
n(ew) l(ogical) 10 (default) 250

#primary partition:
n(ew) p(rimary) 2 (default) 251 (default)

#modify sda5 type:
t(ype) 5 82

#verify the list
p

#should be:
Disk /dev/sda: 2000.xxx GB, xxx bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, xxx cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 250 2008093+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda2 251 121601 974751907+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 1 32 256977 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda6 33 33 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 34 34 8001 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 35 140 851413+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 141 249 875511 83 Linux
/dev/sda10 250 250 8001 83 Linux

#write the table:
w

Format sda7, sda8, sda9 and sda2

mkswap /dev/sdb5

mke2fs –j /dev/sda7
mke2fs –j /dev/sda8
mke2fs –j /dev/sda9

mkfs.xfs –f /dev/sdb2


Configure sda6:

gzip -dc =/home/ubuntu/Public/sda6.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb6


Configure sda7:

mkdir /tmp/md0
mount /dev/sd7 tmp/md0
cd /tmp/md0
tar xzf /full/path/to/sda7.tgz
cd ../..
umount /tmp/md0

Configure sda8:

mount /dev/sd8 tmp/md0
cd /tmp/md0
tar xzf /full/path/to/sda8.tgz
cd ../..
umount /tmp/md0

Configure sda10:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda10

Install the new HDD on the D2 NAS and execute a factory reset:
The NAS will be up an running Version 2.2.5

To update to the latest version 2.2.9.3:
-Download the capsule file from Lacie's FTP site: update.lacie.com [user:d2network2 pwd:d2network2] folder: 1.1/prod/2.2.9.3
-Create a folder Update under Share and copy the capsule file in the folder
-Factory Reset your NAS:
Press and hold the power button.
Release the button when the LED becomes solid red (after about 10 seconds).
When the LED begins blinking again press the button again. The LED will only blink for 5 seconds. If you fail to press the button before that 5 seconds is up you will need to start over from the second step.

Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Please your guide about this, in my side trouble at format sdb5 / sdb2 whereas my hd for lacie at SDA .. Can you tell why you guide show SDB ? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fvdw
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by fvdw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:40 pm

if the disk your are preparing is identified as /dev/sda on you system running linux then you need to use /dev/sdax in the commands, were "x" is the partition number so you need to replace that by the correct numbers as shown in the guide (so not sdb)

for instance it seems that this instruction in the guide is wrong
mkfs.xfs –f /dev/sdb2, it should be mkfs.xfs –f /dev/sda2

BUT IMPORTANT ! be sure /dev/sda is the disk you are preparing for the lacie. If you have more disks in your linux system sda might be your pc's main disk. If you then execute the command it will wipe all data on partition 2 of your system disk

ps there seems to be some type errors in the guide at some places, for example
mount /dev/sd7 tmp/md0 should be mount /dev/sda7 tmp/md0

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:51 pm

fvdw wrote:if the disk your are preparing is identified as /dev/sda on you system running linux then you need to use /dev/sdax in the commands, were "x" is the partition number so you need to replace that by the correct numbers as shown in the guide (so not sdb)

for instance it seems that this instruction in the guide is wrong
mkfs.xfs –f /dev/sdb2, it should be mkfs.xfs –f /dev/sda2

BUT IMPORTANT ! be sure /dev/sda is the disk you are preparing for the lacie. If you have more disks in your linux system sda might be your pc's main disk. If you then execute the command it will wipe all data on partition 2 of your system disk

ps there seems to be some type errors in the guide at some places, for example
mount /dev/sd7 tmp/md0 should be mount /dev/sda7 tmp/md0
Amazing, Awesome replies from fvdw geek :D Fast Response guidance

In my case with my attach below time i want execute mkswap /dev/sda5 in terminal show announcement about no label, Did you know where this problem ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fvdw
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by fvdw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:09 pm

thinks the message no label is nor problem, probably you disk doesn't have a label set.

What does the output of the command

Code: Select all

fdisk -l /dev/sda 
produce as output ?

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:13 pm

fvdw wrote:thinks the message no label is nor problem, probably you disk doesn't have a label set.

What does the output of the command

Code: Select all

fdisk -l /dev/sda 
produce as output ?
This is my output, Please correction, Where wrong with my step ... Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 pm

musafirrlail wrote:
fvdw wrote:thinks the message no label is nor problem, probably you disk doesn't have a label set.

What does the output of the command

Code: Select all

fdisk -l /dev/sda 
produce as output ?
This is my output, Please correction, Where wrong with my step ... Thanks
This from fdisk /dev/sda menu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:24 pm

fvdw wrote:thinks the message no label is nor problem, probably you disk doesn't have a label set.

What does the output of the command

Code: Select all

fdisk -l /dev/sda 
produce as output ?

So i tried to next step execute mkfs.xfs -f /dev/sda and result with my below attach, Please correction ... Thanks b4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Did not wrong type between sda6 and sda7 sda8 because sda6.gz (not .tgz) but sda7 (with .tgz) .. And i've tried inject this and result attach below..Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fvdw
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by fvdw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:37 pm

the size of partition 2 is wrong and you are using an advanced formated disk, this cause the lines partition doesn't start on physical sector boundary

Delete all partitions and recreate them, I tried to make a guide below

start the fdisk program

Code: Select all

fdisk /dev/sda
delete all partitions using the "d" command.
After that give the command "p" and check that it mentions
units = cylinders of...
If it mentions sectors give command "u" taht should change it to cylinders
Now proceed make the extended partition 1:

Code: Select all

n(ew) 
e(xtended)
1 (partion number)
9 (start cylinder)
280 (end cylinder)
now make the logical partitions (19:35 h edited)

Code: Select all

#logical partitions:
n(ew) l(ogical) 5 9 40
n l 6 41 48
n l 7 49 56
n l 8 57 160
n l 9 161 272
n l 10 273 280
Now make the primary partition 2:

Code: Select all

n (new) 
p(primary) 
2  (is partition number)
281 (start cylinder)
60801 (end cylinder)
Write the new table to the disk

Code: Select all

w
now you should be able to use the rest of the commands in the guide
Last edited by fvdw on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
musafirrlail
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 am
Location: Indonesian

Re: NAS fresh disk

Post by musafirrlail » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:48 pm

fvdw wrote:the size of partition 2 is wrong and you are using an advanced formated disk, this cause the lines partition doesn't start on physical sector boundary

Delete all partitions and recreate them, I tried to make a guide below

start the fdisk program

Code: Select all

fdisk /dev/sda
delete all partitions using the "d" command.
After that give the command "p" and check that it mentions
units = cylinders of...
If it mentions sectors give command "u" taht should change it to cylinders
Now proceed make the extended partition 1:

Code: Select all

n(ew) 
e(xtended)
1 (partion number)
9 (start cylinder)
280 (end cylinder)
now make the logical partitions

Code: Select all

#logical partitions:
n(ew) l(ogical) 5 9 40
n l 6 41 48
n l 7 49 56
n l 8 57 160
n l 9 272
n l 10 273 280
Now make the primary partition 2:

Code: Select all

n (new) 
p(primary) 
2  (is partition number)
281 (start cylinder)
60801 (end cylinder)
Write the new table to the disk

Code: Select all

w
now you should be able to use the rest of the commands in the guide
AWESOME .. Now I tried first according your guide from begin :idea: :D :idea:

Post Reply