General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Clean HDD Image
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:03 pm 

Hi all,
My LACIE D2 Network 2´s HDD died on me and since it has an awful design (I can´t understand why they put the OS on the HDD and not on a Flash memory to prevent this kind of things) and on the other hand LACIE´s support (Or lack of it) has no idea on how to put it back on.
Sorry for all the venting but I´m pretty frustrated about this situation.....anyway, I also tried to follow several instructions on this forum on how to recover the partitions and OS but I have no luck.
By any chance, does anybody has a clean working HDD image of this?
I would appreciate the help!
Thank you all in advance.

Post subject: Re: Clean HDD Image
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:12 pm 

Any ideas on how I can bring it back to life? I´m open to suggestions.
Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:45 pm 

you have two options:

follow this how to http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... twork_2%29

or use fvdw-sl firmware

the fvdw-sl firmware should be able to run on this device although it might need some modifications.
The kernel we use has support for this nas d2net V2 (kirkwood)

You could try to see if the fvdw-sl standalone kernel loads on this device using the fvdw-sl console that runs under windows, see forum http://plugout.net

You need to register to get access to download section
It would be nic to add this type to the list of supported devices. As said in pinciple the firmware will run but some (small) modifications might be required .

ps using fvdw-sl firmware means that the disks will get another partition setup meaning the original lacie firmware is lost.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:32 pm 

fvdw wrote:
you have two options:

follow this how to http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... twork_2%29

or use fvdw-sl firmware

the fvdw-sl firmware should be able to run on this device although it might need some modifications.
The kernel we use has support for this nas d2net V2 (kirkwood)

You could try to see if the fvdw-sl standalone kernel loads on this device using the fvdw-sl console that runs under windows, see forum http://plugout.net

You need to register to get access to download section
It would be nic to add this type to the list of supported devices. As said in pinciple the firmware will run but some (small) modifications might be required .

ps using fvdw-sl firmware means that the disks will get another partition setup meaning the original lacie firmware is lost.

I´ve followed that How to already without success... :( Also tried viewtopic.php?f=238&t=14439 with the same result. I think that this is failing since the images used are 512 bytes and 2TB are 4k. I think I need to get someone with 2TB disk on it´s d2.
Is there any instructions or How to in order to use the fvdw-sl firmware?
Which modifications do I need to do on the firmware? I would appreciate your help and input on this!
BTW I have a GMAIL account and I cant register with the site :(
Thank you in advance and sorry for the hustle!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 pm 

Quote:
´ve followed that How to already without success... :( Also tried viewtopic.php?f=238&t=14439 with the same result. I think that this is failing since the images used are 512 bytes and 2TB are 4k. I think I need to get someone with 2TB disk on it´s d2.

No that is not the problem, indeed advanced formatted diskhave a physical sector size of 4K but use a logical sector size of 512 bytes. If not they would be useless as no software would run on it. Probably this is a problem of the usb-sata adapter you use, some cannot work with advanced format disks, connecting the disk directly to a sata port of your pc will solve this problem or use a compatible usb-> sata connector

Quote:
Is there any instructions or How to in order to use the fvdw-sl firmware?
Which modifications do I need to do on the firmware? I would appreciate your help and input on this!

yes there is, we even have a program called fvdw-sl console that runs under windows and allows you to install the firmware without the need for a pc running windows.
Quote:
BTW I have a GMAIL account and I cant register with the site :(

I will add an exception for your e-mail address, gmail addresses are on the black list as they are frequently used by spammers

Thank you in advance and sorry for the hustle![/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:59 am 

I got the solution by installing a Third Party Firmware!
Thanks fvdw!!! You ROCK!

You can find the solution I use on this forum..

http://plugout.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2136

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]