General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Drive Crashes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:19 pm 

I have a d2 network 2 drive which recently crashed. I removed the disk and confirmed it was dead. I contacted Lacie but, as I have opened the enclosure, they say it is no longer under warranty. I have a 1TB disk to replace the broken one but I'm now in the position where if I put that into the enclosure, I just get the red light at the front and the device won't connect to my network.

What are my options here? Is there an image I can flash to the drive in order to recreate the stock partitions & data that come with a factory d2 network 2?

Post subject: Re: Drive Crashes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 am 

Unfortunately there is not much information in the wiki. This information says that the D2N2 has the same partition scheme as all other Lacie's, but this thread says something different. So maybe there are different versions of the D2N2. If that is true, I'd expect your box to have the 'Original Lacie Partition Scheme®', because of the red LED.

So yes, you'll have to put the partitions on the disk. No-one donated these partitions to this community yet. (You didn't either, when you had the chance). So your options are:
1) Wait for someone to upload the partitions. (That can last. There are more requests for these partitions)
2) Search them somewhere else.
3) Buy a replacement disk at Lacie (ouch!)
4) Try to follow the kernel compilation and Debian installation instructions here. (Almost the coolest option)
5) Read the Debian installation instructions, and put Gentoo on the disk. (Definitely the coolest option) (And don't forget to document it in the Wiki)
6) This box seems to have the same SoC as the Networkspace 2 has. The firmwares for Lacies are often interchangeable for (almost) identical SoC's, so you could try to put the NS2 firmware on your disk. It won't hurt. You can always try another option if it doesn't work. (The most practical option)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:11 pm 

I had given option 6 a go and, unfortunately, it doesn't work. The drive still isn't available on the network. Linux definitely isn't my strong point but I will maybe attempt one of your other suggestions. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:05 pm 

Some more info here. I tried restoring the network space 2 image hurky had uploaded here:

http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/Users/hurky/

Followed his instructions to a t and restored the partitions etc. Once I put the disk back into the NAS and switched it on, I just got blue/red rapid flashing lights then the drive spins up, the light goes red and the drive then spins down. The drive doesn't appear on the network.

I was hoping that would have worked but, alas, it's not to be. I'll have to wait for some kind soul to post an image of the untouched partitions on a d2 network 2.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:10 am 

Howto.txt wrote:
This is a complete backup of all partitions minus home from a LACIE NETWORK SPACE (first)
This is about the NS1, which has a Marvell Orion chip. Your box seems to have a Marvell Kirkwood, so the NS1 partitions can't work.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 am 

Cheers for pointing that out. At least I only wasted 10 minutes of my life :|

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:35 am 

Wasted? It was fun, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 pm 

Well, actually I had the same problem on my office I dissambly the D2-2 attached a new hard drive but the new one has 4096 bytes per sector the next week we are buying a new D2-2, and when it arrive I will backup the 2.1gb system data from lacie and upload it wait for the link I'll post it here.

The problem with my Lacie was sdb9 has faulty sectors errors because someone drop it.

Things you must know:

Your new Hard Drive replacement for the lacie MUST BE 512 bytes per sector this come factory default and it can´t be changed, be sure to check first this before when buying a new hdd.

Here a list of models of compatibles HD with your lacie and the new backup:

Seagate ST31500341AS 1.5TB
Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB
Seagate ST3750528AS 500GB

These models I got from the hd model that come originaly with my first Lacie D2-2 that was Seagate ST31000528AS.

The backup will be made using :

Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb of=LacieD2-2 bs=1M count=2k

Assuming sdb is the new Lacie D2-2 harddrive, ye.... I'll brake up my new Lacie D2-2 warranty doing that but is more important to have an OS Lacie Backup.
I´ll no upgrade the lacie, I'll backup it with the original firm that will come.

Next week I'll upload it and post here the link.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:56 pm 

any info about the D2N2 s/w being uploaded?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:42 pm 

No more informations about D2N2 ? :) Mine crashed last week and i need to restore all originals partitions on a new hard drive !!! Please save me ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:13 pm 

Hi everyone
I have managed to backup D2N2 partitions from 3 - 10 in the bin or gz files but I have no clue to use linux (ubuntu I am using in vmware). Please instruct me how to upload here and how to backup and restore into new harddisk.
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:01 pm 

How did you back them up?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:28 pm 

This is my 1st time using Ubuntu... I
my D2N2 is shown as sdb and there are partitions from 3 - 10. I copied each by (sudo dd if=/dev/sdb* of=/home/peter/sdb*). I also copied the whole sdb 1st partition (2.1G) as well just to be sure.
I created each partitions from 5-10 arcording the link shown http://www.rigacci.org/wiki/doku.php/do ... _network_2
but when I restored sdb7.gz to sdb7 it says there is no space left.
Now I am trying to copy whole 2.1Gb to 1st partition.... it is restoring at moment... will let you guy know if it is working?
I am not sure if this is right way to back up please advise.

Regards
G

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:09 pm 

Hm. There is not supposed to be a partition 3 and 4. As you can see here, there are only 1, 2, 5-10. So I suppose somehow your partitions got shifted, and now you tried to put a bigger partition in sdb7.
Can you give me the sizes and names of your backed up partitions?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm 

Let me take a screen shot but its strange that when I backup the whole 2.1gb as you instructed in other message it says GPT system is not support. I bought it off ebay without power adapter I am not sure it is working or not. Just take it out to backup... hope this can help our forum. I ordered power adapter today when I get it will see if it is working... I will upload picture in minute.
Thanks