General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:05 pm 

Hi

I Have 2 D2 network 2 (1TB) lacie hdd and the third without HDD

i want to put a new HDD into the third one as the new hdd is blank how can i copy the partition that contains software to the new hard drive ?

which procedure do i have to do, for information the 2 functionnal D2 Network 2 one of theme contains personal data and the other still virgin but contains the lacie software.

it will be useful for all if i can get the procedure and make a backup for all the forum user.

thansk in advance.

NB : i have a ubuntu linux machine but i'm not expert in linux :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 am 

The D2N2 partitions are already available here. But thanks for the offer!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 am 

Hi Mijzelf,

i see only 3 partition my d2 network 2 has about 10 partition.

what is the procedure du get a new hdd working using that partition, is there a tutoriel ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:59 am 

The directions for the 2Big2 also work for the D2N2 (but use the D2N2 partitions instead). (BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2Big2 partitions also gives something working)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:04 pm 

Thank you i'll give a try .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 pm 

i got a freshly formatted D2N2 running 2.2.8 bought than less a month... I had a crash, lost everything, so format was the answer....

I'm not going to use it 'till I got a realtime backup connected to it (I don't trust LACIE NAS anymore) ,
so if someome needs the orginal partitions scheme from late 2012, I can backup it.
Have to read the wiki first ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am 

Hi Guys,
I'm going to replace a broken HD in the D2 Network 2 and I've read instructions from this thread.

What's not clear to me is if I should use the mbr+label.gz (as from 2Big2 Wiki page) or should i create
manually all those partitions (as from http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... rk2/2.2.5/ ).

Finally, I suppose I should dump the content of files sda6.gz -> sda8.tgz to those partitions (tar -xvzf sdaX.tgz | gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sda ) .

Could you confirm, please ?

In case I'd create partitions manually, could you indicate which partition type should I choose partition by partition ?

Thank you a lot
Igor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:01 pm 

Quote:
What's not clear to me is if I should use the mbr+label.gz (as from 2Big2 Wiki page) or should i create
manually all those partitions
Both. The mbr+label is needed to put some label somewhere, to make the bootscript in the initramfs happy. But it contains further only an mbr, and so only primary partitions. The extendend partititons need to be made manually.

Quote:
could you indicate which partition type should I choose partition by partition ?
It's in partitiontable.txt

Quote:
I suppose I should dump the content of files sda6.gz -> sda8.tgz to those partitions (tar -xvzf sdaX.tgz | gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sda ) .
Depends on how you mean it.
The gz archive should be written raw:
Code:
cat sda6.gz | gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sda6
The .tgz archives have to be extracted to a partition containing a filesystem
Code:
cd mountpoint/of/sda7
tar xf /path/to/sda7.tgz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 pm 

i found this easy method to recover the D2 Network 2 driver over lan using lacie network assistant.

check this out :

Proc ~ Using LNA recovery mode to reinstall a Network V2 Device OS

http://www.lacie.com/support/support_ma ... ticle=1422

Thanks Lacie :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:53 am 

Hello ! My first time here !

After a lot of reading, i just bought yesterday a New Lacie Network LaCie d2 Network 2 (3TB)

Even before powering it for the first time, e dissassemble it , so i can make an image of the untouched hard drive.

This way i can make some experiences and reverting to original. Or even upgrade the hard disc to a better one (probably WD RED).
The original is a poor seagate ST3000DM001 with an estimated life of only 2400 hours !! http://www.seagate.com/www-content/prod ... 1212gb.pdf

I wonder what should i use to make an imagefile of the untouched hard drive ?
Norton ghost? Acronis? Clonezilla ?
And the motherboard shoud be in IDE mode or AHCI ? And it´s mandatory to have an uefi bios ?
Or can i use a Sata-USB adapter to perform the imaging ?

And later if i want to drop that image to a new hard drive it´s just the inverse process, or there´s any additional tasks required ?
If yes, the image of the 3TB Hard drive can be applied in a 4TB Hard drive ?

I appreciate your opinions

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:28 am 

you will need at least a program that can read this linux based disk.
Linux has very simple image reader and writer, the command "dd"
However this will copy a partition byte per byte so if you copy a 2TB partition the image will be 2TB
Normally it doesn't make sense to copy the data partitions of the nas, only the system partitons are sufficient, those are much smaller.
Anyhow I think acronis should be able to copy the disk as well. Just try.

About lifetime seagate hdd. I never saw a datasheet with that parameter specified until now.
I have plenty seagate's running here (also in a nas) and some over 5 years.
2400 hours power on cannot be the operation time because one year already has 8600 hours, it would mean the disk would die in 4 months. The pratice is (much) different.
Till today seagate was for me the most reliable disk if it comes to lifetime. I would keep them

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:07 am 

fvdw wrote:
you will need at least a program that can read this linux based disk.
Linux has very simple image reader and writer, the command "dd"
However this will copy a partition byte per byte so if you copy a 2TB partition the image will be 2TB
Normally it doesn't make sense to copy the data partitions of the nas, only the system partitons are sufficient, those are much smaller.
Anyhow I think acronis should be able to copy the disk as well. Just try.

About lifetime seagate hdd. I never saw a datasheet with that parameter specified until now.
I have plenty seagate's running here (also in a nas) and some over 5 years.
2400 hours power on cannot be the operation time because one year already has 8600 hours, it would mean the disk would die in 4 months. The pratice is (much) different.
Till today seagate was for me the most reliable disk if it comes to lifetime. I would keep them

Thanks for your fast answer. Discussion continues here to avoid duplication : viewtopic.php?f=238&t=9837#p81227

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:51 am 

In my new Lacie D2 network D2 3TB, i tried to make a backup , but witouth success.
Tryed with ghost, clonezilla, and a couple more from hirens boot cd proteus edition

Also put a fresh 2TB on in , to try this method (just for testing purposes) , and didn´t result:
Using LNA recovery mode to reinstall a Network V2 Device OS.
http://www.lacie.com/support/support_ma ... ticle=1422

It founds the disk, starts the process, and after 15 minutes it gives an error and says to contact the lacie support .

Could it be because the original HDD is 3TB and the fresh disc that i´m using is only 2TB ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 am 

I can hardly imagine that. A 2TB disk can be arranged the same way as a 3TB disk (except for the data partition size.). (BTW, the other way around is not necessarily true. 3TB needs GTP, while a 2TB can use MBR).

Did the 'LNA method' provide a logfile?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:27 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
I can hardly imagine that. A 2TB disk can be arranged the same way as a 3TB disk (except for the data partition size.). (BTW, the other way around is not necessarily true. 3TB needs GTP, while a 2TB can use MBR).

Did the 'LNA method' provide a logfile?

I tried the LaCie Network Assistant (LNA) in two computers, one with windows XP and other with Win7

Same result on both .

Where does the LaCie Network Assistant (LNA) Saves the logfiles ?