General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:43 pm 

I don't know. I guess it should work, if the NAS supports hotplug.

I guess you want to plug the USB connector also in the NAS? Does it need drivers?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:33 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
I don't know. I guess it should work, if the NAS supports hotplug.

I guess you want to plug the USB connector also in the NAS? Does it need drivers?

My idea was to only connect the e-sata cable . It´s a lot faster than the usb 2.0

No need for drivers, it´s straight sata, you can even use it to connect in a motherboard and install an operating system there :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 am 

I meant the connector of the 'Gembird USB Sivershild', not the disk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
I meant the connector of the 'Gembird USB Sivershild', not the disk.

Oh!

No, i have a computer close to the NAS , always ON. He would be in charge of commanding the USB Gembird :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 pm 

Really? Then why bother to have a NAS? An external disk connected to that computer is cheaper, faster, and more economic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
Really? Then why bother to have a NAS? An external disk connected to that computer is cheaper, faster, and more economic.

That´s a Good question...

It´s a laptop without display (broken), Core2Duo T8300 , Witch i access via RDC .

I prefer to separate things , storage in a NAS instead of a USB drive connected do the computer ...

But a computer with filezilla also makes a pretty good job (i need FTP )

Probably i´ll keep the NAS, for a couple of reasons, one is because i have an office in a shared internet connection with a computer workshop , and i want to isolate the office lan and the workshop lan (mainlyu to avoid virus and stuff that might spread in costumer computers) .
But NAS must be common, because there are stuff needed in both parts , so that´s a good reason to keep the NAS

Tell me Mijzelf, what do you think about Celvin 700 ? Someone is tempting me with an used one...
http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/com ... -q700.html

I might have a costumer for the untouched Lacie D2 Network 2 ...

Witch one would you prefer ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:04 pm 

Quote:
Witch one would you prefer ?
I don't really have an opinion, without context.

1. They have (almost) the same CPU.
  2. The Celvin has twice the Ram.
  3. The Celvin doesn't have eSata.
  4. The Celvin has a fan.
  5. The Celvin has 2 bays
  6. The Celvin has 16MB flash.
  7. The Celvin has support for iSCSI, SQL, ...
  8. The Celvin has 3 USB ports, the D2 only one (yes?)

1. A tie.
  2. Certainly in favor of the Celvin. On the other hand, for 'normal' nas functions you won't notice the difference. The box also has a web/sql server. If you use them intensively, the extra memory will speed up the box.
  3. Can be a problem, if you want to backup to an external disk. USB2 is a lot slower.
  4. The D2 is silent. The Celvin is not. I cannot predict how much noise the fan will give, and it that is a problem in your setup.
  5. ...
  6. This will probably mean the firmware is in flash, while the firmware of the D2 is on disk. To put Debian or Arch on a D2 is a breeze, but it could be difficult on a Celvin, for this reason. If that is a problem is up to you. (BTW, the D2 is supported in the Vanilla kernel, which is also a pre if you like to put your own OS on it)
  7. Nice. Do you want/need it?
  8. Certainly in favor of the Celvin, if you use them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:20 pm 

I love your replys ;)

It seems that Fujitsu Q700 is a QNAP TS-219, and you can switch firmware

http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=e ... 659&n=6682

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=279190

My prespective is :

Used Q700 = 85€
1x WD WD30EFRX HDD 3TB WD RED 64mb cache SATA 6gb/s 3.5 = 110€
Total = 195€

And i can use a 1.5 TB Hard drive in the second slot , for frequent backups
Since it´s an internal process, it should be fast, so no need for e-sata

For the same price i can sell the Lacie d2 network 2 to a costumer of mine.
I still in doubt about the seagate that comes with the lacie

Witch one would you choose , because the price is the same ?

EDIT: One last question: Do you see any advantages in a NAS using EXT instead of NTFS in the partition where data is stored ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm 

Diginas wrote:
And i can use a 1.5 TB Hard drive in the second slot , for frequent backups
A backup disk in the same device is no good backup. A dying power supply or a dropped box or lightning or theft will kill both disks simultaneously.
Quote:
Do you see any advantages in a NAS using EXT instead of NTFS in the partition where data is stored ?
Yes. NTFS is a Windows filesystem, while ext2/3/4 is Linux native. NTFS is poorly documented, and Linux support depends on reverse engineering. While that support is stable, it's not fast. Partly because the Linux and Windows file metadata are not compatible, so that it constantly has to be translated back and forth. BTW, a NAS which supports NTFS for it's internal filesystems is rare. I am aware of only one type, the D-Link DNS-313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:50 pm 

Hello Again !

"A backup disk in the same device is no good backup. A dying power supply or a dropped box or lightning or theft will kill both disks simultaneously."

That is true , good practices say that the backup should never be close to the original.
But my goal is to make some levels of backups, according to the importance of the data.

The backup in the secont slot would be a frequent one , a daily job.

Simultaneously i´ll have a 1x Week another job for another place

About the " I am aware of only one type, the D-Link DNS-313 " ----yap, i got one here and i caught my attention, i liked a lot the fact that is NTFS

And how about hardware? Do you have opinion about this one: viewtopic.php?f=146&t=14469 ?

EDIT: Another nice one: Dlink DNS-320
http://www.dlink.com/pt/pt/home-solutio ... -enclosure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:10 am 

Diginas wrote:
And how about hardware? Do you have opinion about this one: viewtopic.php?f=146&t=14469 ?
Do you have a 'know good' disk attached? The flash of an EdminiV2 only contains a bootloader. I'm not sure if the bootloader does anything with the front led. It is possible that it relies on the kernel from disk. On the other hand, at least the disk should spin up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:46 am 

Mijzelf wrote:
Diginas wrote:
Do you have a 'know good' disk attached? The flash of an EdminiV2 only contains a bootloader. I'm not sure if the bootloader does anything with the front led. It is possible that it relies on the kernel from disk. On the other hand, at least the disk should spin up.

Good Morning! This looks more like an electronic issue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 am 

Hey!

I have another question about the Lacie d2 network 2 !

What is recorded in the HDD and what is recorded in the Flash memory of the device ?

My question is: Can i put another HDD on it and make a couple of tests ? And when i back the original HDD will everything be OK as if there was never another HDD there ?

OR some things are recorded in flash memory ?

Last week i made a couple of tests in Dlink DNS-313 and noticed that in this case some data is recorded in flash, take for example the IP Settings and User Settings .

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:41 pm 

Nothing is stored in flash. It probably only contains a static bootloader. Recently Lacie also introduced diskless variants of their NASses, in which the flash also contains a firmware version, which is written to an (empty) disk on first boot. In that case flash is still read only.

However, the 2+ disk models have some eeprom, which contains the GUID of the internal raid arrays. I doubt your single disk NAS will have that too, so everything is stored on harddisk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:04 pm 

Thank you again and again :)

Today is holiday in my town. This means that i worked less hours.

After saving two external hard drives from a costumer of mine (the guy got the wrong adapter and plugged both to a laptop adapter , witch means that instead of 12V the external hard drives have been feeded with 19V . Both were in short circuit!! ). Now i have some free time, so time to plug in the Lacie d2 Network 2 for the first time !
I already knew this equipment, i have two costumers with similar ones.
Just chequed that this one has came shipped with the last firmware avaliable on lacie site: (Capsule 2.2.9.3) · December 10, 2013

I have some ignorant questions that you might know the answer :

>I already have a draytek router with a no-ip account. Do i have have advantage of making an lacie account ?

>How about eco settings. It comes default with 5 minutes HDD shutdown, and deep hibernation unchecked.
Have any suggestions about changing default ? And what is deep hibernation ?

>What are the differences between the front button (pulser) and the rear one (switcher) ?

>Those have been basic questions. The main one is about FTP and Bittorent !

My cenario: I do a lot of technical assistance. SOmetimes when i´m my costumers place, i need drivers, files, stuff like that.
Right now i already have simple FTP being tested, and it´s very nice because i can just go to costumer computers, and without installing anything i just use windows explorer , fill username and password , ans voila, i Got my files.

The thing is: Can i do that with SFTP ?
Does lacie D2 Network 2 Has SFTP .
It only shows SSL FTP . Is this the same ?
Here it says YES: We've added SFTP as a secure remote connection protocol 2 weeks ago. ( www.wegotserved.com/2010/04/17/hands-on ... age-drive/ )

Do i need aditional applications for SFTP , or can i still use windows explorer ?

How about bit torrent, how it´s different ? And it has advantages over SFTP ?

Thanks a lot in advance :)