NAS devices which offer 2-way realtime folder sync

swinster

NAS devices which offer 2-way realtime folder sync

Post by swinster » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi,

Am am looking for a couple of inexpensive (ideally 2 drive, but will make do with single drive) NAS units which enable 2-way folder synchronisation. This are only to be use in a Home/small office environment.

Essentially, I want to be able to have 2 NAS devices in separate locations in which I want the same files on both device, and that I can write to EITHER NAS unit, then for those changes to be automatically and instantly synchronised with the other device. The 2 devices maybe able to connected directly via the same WiFi network, but otherwise via the internet.

A lot of devices have backup to a second device, or even scheduled rsync or similar, but this is not the same as 2-way folder real-time synchronisations. I found this out after narrowing in on the Synology DS212j/DS213j only to find that this is not supported on this model - shame because this was rated highly and seemed like a really good unit.

Any hints and tips welcome.

Mijzelf

Re: NAS devices which offer 2-way realtime folder sync

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 am

How are your skills? The ZyXEL NSA310 is unbeatable in price/performance, and with a little effort you can install Bittorrent Sync on it.

swinster

Post by swinster » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am

Mijzelf wrote:How are your skills? The ZyXEL NSA310 is unbeatable in price/performance, and with a little effort you can install Bittorrent Sync on it.
Do you know what, it was one that in my sights. It I were to install these for me personally then yeah, no problem (although having said that, I would probably build a FreeNAS or similar home-brew system). This is actually for a colleague and whilst I don't mind setting it up, I don't really want to provide on-going support - if you know what I mean. However, I will look at this device a bit harder and see if it will fit the bill.

I take it that the Bitttorrent sync means that you can set up a Bittorrent server on both NAS unit, then sync between them - rather that to a cloud based Bittorrent service?

PS - thanks for getting rid of the spam

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 am

swinster wrote:I take it that the Bitttorrent sync means that you can set up a Bittorrent server on both NAS unit, then sync between them - rather that to a cloud based Bittorrent service?
Indeed. I must admit that I haven't tried it between two NASses, only between a NAS and a PC, and it worked flawless. No portforwarding, the devices 'saw' each other within a few seconds, on 100 km distance, and synced just a little bit faster than the internet throughput. So it seems there is some compression either.