General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:48 am 

Hello
I have trouble with upgrading both drives from 1 to 3Tb on 2Big v2 (RAID1). After replacing drives one by one: 1+1 -> 1+3 (reboot)-> 3+3 (reboot) Lacie won't boot and blue light is steadily on.
I have tried:
- making sector-by-sector copy from 1Tb drives to new 3Tb drives via dd on linux box;
- assemble new drives in array on linux box and initialize as here: http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... ks_(2Big_2)#MBR_and_label; (seems that guide is obsolete)
- just copying all RAID partitions from 1Tb disks to 3Tb on linux box;
to no avail.
I don't have serial port converter and can't see what's on lacie console so have no idea why it's not booting. Neither can't I get root ssh access on lacie console to copy bootloader to new disk on live system. Seems that methods explained here: http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... sion_2.0.5 are obsolete due to newer version of the firmware.
Also tried clunc to see the console while booting - no luck.
Please help.

Mikhail

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:41 pm 

There is an issue with disks >2TiB. Their number of sectors exceeds 2^32. In the 'classic' MBR partition table all sector numbers are expressed by a 32 bits integer, and so the partition table can't address partitions behind the 2TiB boundary.

For bigger disks a GPT partition table is used, which doesn't have that limitation. But the bootloader can't read that, and so it can't find the kernel to boot (which is on partition 6).

I'm not sure what happened in your case. By mirroring the disks the partition table isn't adjusted, so it should be still MBR. But maybe the bootloader is confused by the bigger disk, in which case it can't boot if not at least 1 <2TiB disk is available.
Another option is that the firmware helpfully tries to expand the raid array when both disks have room for that, and fails by the disk size.

If this problem can be solved you will still only be able to use 2TiB per disk due to the MBR limitation.

Maybe the guys of plugout.net have a new bootloader with GPT support for you. But maybe you'll also have to switch to their firmware then, as I don't know if the 2Big2 firmware of Lacie can handle GPT disks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:15 pm 

Thank you, Mijzelf. It is really an issue with large disks. I have already successfully flashed Lacie with mainline U-boot from here: ftp://lacie-nas.org/u-boot/u-boot-net2b ... 24d58e.kwb
but it turned out that the issue was fixed later in 2013 and there was no binaries uploaded for later releases.
I'm hesitant to build U-boot myself from sources not to brick Lacie, and I'd prefer original Lacie U-boot to be able to install Lacie OS3.
It seems that original Lacie builds with GPT support exist: viewtopic.php?f=240&t=16651&start=105.
Will try to ask micromend or fvdw.

Mijzelf wrote:
There is an issue with disks >2TiB. Their number of sectors exceeds 2^32. In the 'classic' MBR partition table all sector numbers are expressed by a 32 bits integer, and so the partition table can't address partitions behind the 2TiB boundary.

For bigger disks a GPT partition table is used, which doesn't have that limitation. But the bootloader can't read that, and so it can't find the kernel to boot (which is on partition 6).

I'm not sure what happened in your case. By mirroring the disks the partition table isn't adjusted, so it should be still MBR. But maybe the bootloader is confused by the bigger disk, in which case it can't boot if not at least 1 <2TiB disk is available.
Another option is that the firmware helpfully tries to expand the raid array when both disks have room for that, and fails by the disk size.

If this problem can be solved you will still only be able to use 2TiB per disk due to the MBR limitation.

Maybe the guys of plugout.net have a new bootloader with GPT support for you. But maybe you'll also have to switch to their firmware then, as I don't know if the 2Big2 firmware of Lacie can handle GPT disks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:22 pm 

The problem is solved! I found a good u-boot with GPT support and successfully flashed it. Now my device is up and running!
Special thanks to micromend and fvdw!

Mikhail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:39 pm 

did you install os3 with GPT ?