Create a Custom Capsule (aka Custom Firmware) [with root]

andreus

Re: Create a Custom Capsule (aka Custom Firmware) [with root

Post by andreus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 am

Now after looking at pre-install Twonky transcoding engines, it seems that engines are missing all together on Lacie (including ffmpeg, faac- unless they are hiding somewhere and find command didn't filter them out) so transcoding web page options are disabled...so it makes me wonder, how to build ffmpeg, mkv2mpeg and maybe mencoder for Lacie box (can I just copy ffmpeg from Ubuntu over and hope it will enable transcode configuration?? ) Do suggest..is it possible to get stable versions of engines and .desc files.. as that would be helpful. It seems that this is the structure Twonky using in their user-controlled transcode architecture.
Yes lacie boxs don't have encoders installed. You have to install then. Since, i think, you are no linux expert. I advice you to install debian squezze and test everything you want in squeeze chroot envirmont. That way you will not mess with LacieOS. Here is a tutorial

I think squeeze as a lot of encoders allready installed. If you want to install others just do, in squezze chroot enviroment

Code: Select all

apt-get install xxxxx
Reggarding encoders for install you can see how to install some of them in the PS3MediaServer install on squezze

When you mnanage to run things on squeeze, if you want, you can try the ipkg to install directly on LacieOS.
Does that mean that none of Lacie Network Space/2Big boxes have enough horsepower to transcode mkv/flv/mov? I will give it a shot since I do have ssh access to the drive now.
Probably
Hope you dont mind me asking questions. Have a good one!
I learned all of this by investigating and asking questions just the way you are doing and Mizself, quicknick and others having the patience to responde.
So i like to, when i have to time, do the same for others.

Good luck!

metronomadic

Post by metronomadic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 am

Works for me. Built the custom firmware on a rooted Network Space 2, and performed a manual forced update on a new Network Space 2.

LacieOS | Network Space 2 | 2.2.5 (not rooted) | 2.2.5 (rooted) | Yes (by metronomadic)

glenrocks

Post by glenrocks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:30 am

Hi Andreus-- I finally got a chance to get to Lacie box as I was trying to sort content on XBMC and PS3 Media server. I was able to install Debian and squeeze...but I came across one issue which even google didnt show much...seems like strange but I am not able to create private shares from dashboard as I tried to mount /opt to install transcoders and /debian_squeeze..any way to create them through command line? as from web dashboard, I am not able to unless I am missing something. I did have issue with samba-bind as I later realized that Lacie network space has internal_8 created instead of _6 and also had to use original samba.i w/ change to include samba-bind.

I did have problem rebooting when I made the mistake and realized it later to correct it (this box takes ages to restart if something is wrong--had to unplug and wait as I dont know how to expedite that).
To do that, create a private share "debian-squeeze" in the dashboard (Dashboard -> Shares)
Not able to get to this option....even though I was able to mount /debian-squeeze manually and install in steps.

I also wanted to confirm when I install packages as PS3 for squeeze environment...I just install it from the Lacie root...right? as I didn't see any steps to log onto squeeze as such and install..so thought I will ask.

As always, I appreciate your help..your responses have helped a lot to get into this box internals. Hope you are doing well. Thanks in advance.

andreus

Post by andreus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 pm

glenrocks wrote:Hi Andreus-- I finally got a chance to get to Lacie box as I was trying to sort content on XBMC and PS3 Media server. I was able to install Debian and squeeze...but I came across one issue which even google didnt show much...seems like strange but I am not able to create private shares from dashboard as I tried to mount /opt to install transcoders and /debian_squeeze..any way to create them through command line? as from web dashboard, I am not able to unless I am missing something. I did have issue with samba-bind as I later realized that Lacie network space has internal_8 created instead of _6 and also had to use original samba.i w/ change to include samba-bind.
That's strange you should always be able to create shares from the dashboard ... You cannot create any shares??
glenrocks wrote:I did have problem rebooting when I made the mistake and realized it later to correct it (this box takes ages to restart if something is wrong--had to unplug and wait as I dont know how to expedite that).
Yes, the automount normally has that typer of problems.
Even if the lacie blicnks on reboot, if it has network connectivity "ping -t YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP" and the ssh service as started you can adccess trough ssh and then use the "ngc --status" command to see what service is having problems restarting.
glenrocks wrote:To do that, create a private share "debian-squeeze" in the dashboard (Dashboard -> Shares)
Not able to get to this option....even though I was able to mount /debian-squeeze manually and install in steps.

I also wanted to confirm when I install packages as PS3 for squeeze environment...I just install it from the Lacie root...right? as I didn't see any steps to log onto squeeze as such and install..so thought I will ask.
If you have not Started squeeze enviment at startup (http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... on_startup)
you first have to enter squeeze enviroment. a "squeeze" command in your user folder will do it
glenrocks wrote:As always, I appreciate your help..your responses have helped a lot to get into this box internals. Hope you are doing well. Thanks in advance.
You're welcome

glenrocks

Post by glenrocks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:03 pm

That's strange you should always be able to create shares from the dashboard ... You cannot create any shares??
Ya, I thought it was missing something..I can add users but on dashboard- users/shares page, I just don't see any add share button. I could not mount /opt to /shares/opt as it gave me error in terminal window. Can I still install packages under /opt?
use the "ngc --status"
Lacie just lost network connection so I had to unplug that time and sit for it to drain..seems Lacie box is not like turn off and on :|
"squeeze" command in your user folder will do it
I did make those changes to start squeeze automatically..does that still mean that I have to go into squeeze command and then apt-get? I also noticed that in default.runlevel, there are some missing names (i.e. swap, modules,mountfs,mountuserfs)- do I need them as I was also not able to create/install SSH RSA Public key (as I thought maybe thats why dashboard does not give me that ability)

P.S. I did run ngc --status and see squeeze running.

I also wanted to ask you...once squeeze env. is set, can I use putty to install packages or its advisable to boot Ubuntu and then install?

andreus

Post by andreus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:43 pm

glenrocks wrote:
Ya, I thought it was missing something..I can add users but on dashboard- users/shares page, I just don't see any add share button. I could not mount /opt to /shares/opt as it gave me error in terminal window. Can I still install packages under /opt?
You can still install optware packages in LacieOS, but you will have little space to use since you are not installing in the user disk partition (the big one)
glenrocks wrote:
use the "ngc --status"
Lacie just lost network connection so I had to unplug that time and sit for it to drain..seems Lacie box is not like turn off and on :|
ok
glenrocks wrote:
"squeeze" command in your user folder will do it
I did make those changes to start squeeze automatically..does that still mean that I have to go into squeeze command and then apt-get?
If you're in squeeze envirmont you will notice since the prompt changes (and, i think the colors too).
If you want to install on squeeze, you have to be in squezze envirment. The apt-get will not work in Lacie OS
glenrocks wrote:I also noticed that in default.runlevel, there are some missing names (i.e. swap, modules,mountfs,mountuserfs)- do I need them as I was also not able to create/install SSH RSA Public key (as I thought maybe thats why dashboard does not give me that ability)
This is my Lacie OS default.runlevel

initial
dbus
udev
hald
dhcdbd
logrotate
syslogd
klogd
raid
usb
NetworkManager
http
getty/1
sshd/generate_keys
sshd
unicorn
thumbd
glenrocks wrote:P.S. I did run ngc --status and see squeeze running.
Ok, so the squeeze service is running, but are you on squeeze enviment?
glenrocks wrote:I also wanted to ask you...once squeeze env. is set, can I use putty to install packages or its advisable to boot Ubuntu and then install?
All in putty you do not need any other thing

glenrocks

Post by glenrocks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:10 pm

you will have little space to use since you are not installing in the user disk partition (the big one)
Its strange as I do see debian-squeeze under /shares but I am not able see debian-squeeze share on dashboard (maybe my settings only show public shares-Openshare and not private? Anyway to change that?)
If you're in squeeze envirmont you will notice since the prompt changes (and, i think the colors too).
Yes colors change..now I will have to figure how to change colors as I cannot read what I type (under putty windows). And also I checked..apt-get only works under squeeze...makes me sound silly now..lol (I was afraid to install before confirming)
This is my Lacie OS default.runlevel
I checked and all is same for me too..I have squeeze too added there.
but are you on squeeze enviment?
I only went to squeeze till it showed - <That's it your Debian "squeeze" is installed!>
Excuse me for all the silly questions though..I will try to change colors and see if I can issue apt-get commands to install and test :)

P.S. I dont see /shares/debian-squeeze mount when I check with df -h (but I do see /shares/debian-squeeze folder from command line) I do see udev filesystem mounted on /debian-squeeze/dev though..checked /var/log/samba-bind.log and it does show bind squeeze success

> Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 ==== Stop automount (samba-bind)====
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 -> Unbind ipkg
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 /opt unbinded = 0 (0=ok)
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 -> Unbind squeeze
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 /debian-squeeze/shares unbinded = 0 (0=ok)
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 /debian-squeeze unbinded = 0 (0=ok)
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 -> Force unbind ipkg
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 /opt force unbinded = 0 (0=ok)
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 -> Force unbind squeeze
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 /debian-squeeze/shares force unbinded = 0 (0=ok)
Tue Apr  3 02:40:16 CDT 2012 /debian-squeeze force unbinded = 0 (0=ok)
Tue Apr  3 02:40:56 CDT 2012 ==== Start automount (samba-bind)====
Tue Apr  3 02:40:57 CDT 2012 -> Wait for Disks (/media/internal_8/shares)
Tue Apr  3 02:40:57 CDT 2012 Disks (/media/internal_8/shares) not yet ready... waiting more 5 seconds
Tue Apr  3 02:41:22 CDT 2012 Disks (/media/internal_8/shares) ready!
Tue Apr  3 02:41:22 CDT 2012 -> Wait for Shares (/shares)
Tue Apr  3 02:41:22 CDT 2012 Shares (/shares) ready!
Tue Apr  3 02:41:22 CDT 2012 -> Bind squeeze
Tue Apr  3 02:41:22 CDT 2012 /debian-squeeze binded with  = 0 (0=ok)
Tue Apr  3 02:41:22 CDT 2012 /debian-squeeze/shares binded with /shares = 0 (0=ok)

glenrocks

Post by glenrocks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:33 pm

It seems that squeeze disk allocation has problems for me..as it says - You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/. and also it seems that ftp mirrors are down too when I try to download first step- java install :(
Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

kbzajunior

Post by kbzajunior » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Ubuntu 11.04 (as root) | Network Space 2 | 2.2.5 (last version) | 2.2.5.1 (rooted) | Yes (by kbzajunior)

Script work fine, perfect, without any error!

EDIT: After have installed IPKG ( using wiki: http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... ronment.29 ), when reboot or shutdown, haven't IPKG and other binaries ( for example nano ) ¿How to do persistent changes? Thanks

glenrocks

Post by glenrocks » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 pm

kbzajunior - How did you create private share in the dashboard shares? as only way I can is to create new user and that creates a share area.

Andreus - I tried creating new user <squeeze> to have private share but it seems that unionfs filesystem and /var space is limited...this creates space error when it tries to use those area.. how to correct that within squeeze? Also can I make these user areas public or shared by admin in dashboard?
  • /dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /shares/MyShare
    /dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /shares/OpenShare
    /dev/sda2 200.0G 184.7M 1.7T 0% /shares/squeeze
    /dev/sda2 200.0G 184.7M 1.7T 0% /debian-squeeze
    /dev/sda9 841.6M 611.5M 187.4M 77% /var
    unionfs 841.6M 611.5M 187.4M 77% /debian-squeeze/shares

/dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /debian-squeeze/shares/MyShare
    /dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /debian-squeeze/shares/OpenShare
    /dev/sda2 200.0G 184.7M 1.7T 0% /debian-squeeze/shares/squeeze
Hope you doing well. Thanks in advance.

andreus

Post by andreus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Andreus - I tried creating new user <squeeze> to have private share but it seems that unionfs filesystem and /var space is limited...this creates space error when it tries to use those area.. how to correct that within squeeze? Also can I make these user areas public or shared by admin in dashboard?

/dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /shares/MyShare
/dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /shares/OpenShare
/dev/sda2 200.0G 184.7M 1.7T 0% /shares/squeeze
/dev/sda2 200.0G 184.7M 1.7T 0% /debian-squeeze
/dev/sda9 841.6M 611.5M 187.4M 77% /var
unionfs 841.6M 611.5M 187.4M 77% /debian-squeeze/shares
/dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /debian-squeeze/shares/MyShare
/dev/sda2 1.8T 113.8G 1.7T 6% /debian-squeeze/shares/OpenShare
/dev/sda2 200.0G 184.7M 1.7T 0% /debian-squeeze/shares/squeeze
why don't you create and manage the share in the dashboard and it will automount them squeeze.
All shares are automounted to squeeze too with the automount script http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... unt_shares

glenrocks

Post by glenrocks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm

why don't you create and manage the share in the dashboard and it will automount them squeeze
Let me attach the screenshot of my dashboard as I don't have a way to add private shares to admin user-- maybe I missed some steps between gaining root access thru new capsule and install debian-squeeze and/or ipkg ??

I will also try to look into samba-bind and see if it can bind user shares together..I know I had to change env variable <SHARENAME_SQUEEZE> to /shares/squeeze as user name could not be that long under dashboard.

I will try that with /opt as it seems that samba-bind script looks for /shares/opt and test-ipkg.txt in /opt..where did txt file come from?

I did reset the box to default settings and reinstall custom capsule to gain access to root space...Not sure why that was getting filled..maybe cuz of failed installs?

Excuse me for asking too many silly questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andreus

Post by andreus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:17 pm

glenrocks wrote: Let me attach the screenshot of my dashboard as I don't have a way to add private shares to admin user-- maybe I missed some steps between gaining root access thru new capsule and install debian-squeeze and/or ipkg ??
You have made shares in the dashboard user section? Network Space 2 doesn't have a dashboard Shares section like 2Big network 2?
glenrocks wrote:I will try that with /opt as it seems that samba-bind script looks for /shares/opt and test-ipkg.txt in /opt..where did txt file come from?
It's automatic generated is only purpose is to identify the share number in /media/internal_1/shares/XX. It's created, and when done deleted in the automount script

glenrocks

Post by glenrocks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm

You have made shares in the dashboard user section? Network Space 2 doesn't have a dashboard Shares section like 2Big network 2?
lol..no I could not see...thats where my confusion started :|
What do you suggest I do since I cannot add private shares like your box can?

Also wanted to ask regarding this error:
  • echo -e "svn:!:21:admin >> /etc/group results in -sh: :21: bad word specifier
    svn --version svn, version 1.6.17 (r1128011)

kbzajunior

Post by kbzajunior » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:30 pm

glenrocks wrote:kbzajunior - How did you create private share in the dashboard shares? as only way I can is to create new user and that creates a share area.
I dont understand you... ¿Why is necessary create a new user, if i only want how know install & configure nfs-server using putty?

My question is:
- I have installed ipkg, but when reboot NAS, bye bye.... all dissapear ¿why?
- How to configure NFS server? I need a directory for from a other PC, copy some files...

Thanks in advance