Port Forwarding in your Router

andreus

Port Forwarding in your Router

Post by andreus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:00 pm

To access to yout NAS from the outsite, you should configure this port forwarding:
  • Service: HTTP | Port: 80 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP
  • Service: HTTPS | Port: 443 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP
  • Service: FTP | Port: 21 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP
  • Service: SFTP/SSH | Port: 22 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP
  • Service: SFTP/SSH (root) | Port: 2222 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP (if you have enabled root)
  • Service: SAMBA | Port: 139 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP
  • Service: TwonkyMedia Server | Port: 9000 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP (if you have enabled web access to Twonky)
  • Service: Transmission | Port: 9091 | IP: YOUR.LACIE.NAS.IP (if you have enabled web access to Transmission)
Notes:
  • Don't forget that this way all will be open to the internet.
  • Don't forget to enable the services on Lacie Dashboard.
  • Enable just the port forwarding you would like to use in a external environment.
Also, I advice you to register a Dynamic DNS like no-ip (http://no-ip.com/) or dyndns (http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/), and configure it on your Lacie Dashboard. And then you can always acess your NAS from simple DNS (ex: lacienas.no-ip.biz) instead of always having to remeber your IP address.

Arjen

Re: Port Forwarding in your Router

Post by Arjen » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Which port must be forwarded for Wakeup over internet? And I need some more (detailed) information how to realize that feature. Till now it is not succeeded. I'm using the website http://www.remotewakeup.com/en/wol.php to sent the message "wakeup".

Arjen

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 am

Forwarding WOL is troublesome. You'll have to forward UDP port 9, but when your box is off, it doesn't have an IP address, so you can't just forward it to your NAS. (The magic packet is actually send to a MAC address, not an IP address)
There are 4 options, AFAIK:
  • Ideally your router recognizes the magic packet, and broadcasts it in the LAN.
  • You forward UDP 9 to the broadcast address, in most cases this is your LAN address, ending at 255. (So when your LAN is 192.168.1.0, the broadcast address is 192.168.1.255). Not all routers accept this as a valid address.
  • You add your NAS (MAC and IP address) in the static ARP list in your router, and forward to the IP of your NAS. Not all routers have a (configurable) static ARP list.
  • On some routers it works when you add the NAS to a static DHCP list. I suppose this list is also added to the static ARP list,
BTW, I have reasons to believe that the power consumption of the box when 'Off and waiting for WOL' is hardly lower than when it's just idle. So when you have the possibility to measure it, it could turn out not to be worth the hassle.

Arjen

Post by Arjen » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:09 pm

I have still configured my home network (LAN) to wakeup my 2Big2 Networkdrive. Therefore I'm using the MAC adress. The NAS has a static IP-adress.
If I forward the port eg 9 to the NAS, have I to specify what type of connection is used? For example port 21 is automatically specified as FTP. Only I could specify UTD like that. And I have given the connection the nickname remoteoverinternet. But a test for to check the port is open, I got the message "port is blocked".
The problem is also that my router Thomson Speedtouch 780 is provided by the Dutch KPN and is hardly to modify. It does not have a ARP list. But somewhere I'm puzzling for a solution. Also I have to find out if a firewall is a bottleneck.
A good idea is to measure the power demand in several mode's. Therefore I have the possibility to do so in next weeks.

Arjen

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 pm

You don't need to specify a connection type. And it's normal the port seems to be blocked, it's not possible to detect if an UDP port is open. It's also not logical that a firewall could be a problem. The NAS isn't running a firewall when it's off, and the router has forwarded the port, so any firewall in the router should automatically be configured to let it pass.
If I forward the port eg 9 to the NAS
You cannot forward it to the NAS, unless the router somehow knows it's MAC address, through a static ARP entry, or maybe through a static DHCP entry.

In an (ethernet) Lan, the ip address is not really used to transport data through the network. The packets are send to MAC addresses. When the router get a packet which has to be send to a specific IP, it looks in its ARP table to find out if it knows the associated MAC address, and if it does, the packet is send to that MAC address. When it doesn't know the MAC address, it will broadcast a message like: 'Who has IP address a.b.c.d, tell me'. And the NIC having that address is supposed to answer: 'IP a.b.c.d is used by MAC e:f:g:h:i:j'. Then the router puts that in it's ARP table, and the packet is send.
In you case the question is not answered. The NAS is off, and effectively doesn't have an IP address. So the packet is dropped.

A complicating factor is that the IP address is purged from the ARP table when it hasn't been used for a few minutes. So in practice a device which is switched off will never be found in the ARP table, unless it's a static entry.

So you can only get a packet to be send to a switched off device, when it has a static ARP entry, or when you tell the router to send it to just anybody, by specifying the IP broadcast address.

Arjen

Post by Arjen » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 am

@mijzelf, thanks for your support.
I have made some Google works. And discovered that many people got problems to configure the KPN provided router (included modem) Thomson Speedtouch 780.
Your username looks like Dutch. If you are a Dutchman you may be interested in the discussion in the tweakersforum:

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/lis ... /1378691/1

I have to spent now a lot of time to try out the collected information.

Arjen