General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Flashing blue light...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:51 pm 

Hi,

I ran v7 of the firmware creation script (which was hard enough having to make a Linux VM machine, fight with Linux for a while then run the script - that part was easy) to gain to extra functionality which I loaded up using the share method, sadly however it resulted in the drive just flashing blue on the front LED.

So far I've tried:

Yet still it sits here blinking.

Has anyone else had this and if so was there a way to fix it?

Needless to say I've raised a ticket as I suspect its going back, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:46 pm 

Hi,

To try to understand what happend: What as yourr firmware version before the update? It has allready rooted? Have you made changes?

Reggarding the blue blinking...
Normaly the blue blinking is some service that did not start.
So ... you'll have to see what service is not starting correctly
Do you have root ssh access to your lacie?
Can you access your lacie dashboard?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:57 pm 

Hi,

It was 2.0.6 before I started, that s why I went the route I went, I'm sure I saw it work non-rooted.

Nope, its not rooted and I can't even ping it let along get on with SSH - also a no go via USB.

I could be wrong but I think I'm stuffed :(

lol, and to make thing worse I just tried following the restore from new drive method and picked the wrong drive and nuked my daughters PC too... its not bee a good day!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:09 pm 

factory reset did not work? I think you are having a similiar problem that "rmar" had.
did you try to connect the disks directly to the PC using linux i think we solved it this way?

I don't know why this happened. If you have mors information reggarding what you have done in your update process to help others in the future, please right it here.

Last edited by andreus on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:12 pm 

Just the one, I didn't think to look at it though then fdisked the wrong one!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:18 pm 

oh ... that not good.

If you have access to the lacie disk you can see the log files to see what is going wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:26 pm 

Cheers, I'll try and take a look tomorrow (if I get time - a kids party to go to and my daughters PC to rebuild :)), but thank you.

Just out of curiosity how could I get the stopped service started without access to the thing while its working?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:33 pm 

Quote:
Just out of curiosity how could I get the stopped service started without access to the thing while its working?

It deppends what is the service that is not working, but if is not a essencial service you can just stop it by simply mnot starting it on boot. And if everything is ok, your lacie will be working without that service and you can then make a factory reset and then, again if all work ok, you will have yuor NAS working again.

With more work/knowledge normally if is not hardware problem there is always a way to recover.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:54 pm 

Hi,

I had this same problems at least 3 or 4 times, and I'm being really disappointed with Lacie NAS.

Some questions to you:

1. Did you try to do the factory reset? The red light, bla bla bla... Because I couldn't when this is happening
2. What happened to be with blue blinking light? The electricity of your homewas down? You were downloading torrents?
3. Now you can't even ping the harddisk, is it correct?

This is to understand why this is happening to see any possible reason.

So, If you are used to linux systems, follow the procedure http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... 82Big_2%29

When you connect the disks to any linux system, and if you are using UBUNTU, like me, you have the disk utility. Open it, and delete ALL partitions from the hard disk.

Then follow all the above tutorial
The fdisk is easy to use, just do:

fdisk /dev/sdb (if it is sdb, you should see it with cat proc...)

When you are in fdisk, press p <enter>

You should see 2 partition, sdb1 and sdb5. Remember that before you do fdisk you have to run this line
gzip -dc /full/path/to/mbr+label.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdb

Then, just click on n, and choose l (logical), and define the sectors like it's in the tutorial.
At end create another partition, pressing n, but now choose p (primary) and then 2.

Then do w <enter>
And then if it doesn'tquit the fdisk, do yourself q <enter>

Then follow everything, and do the same to the other HDD.

Put them again, and voilá, the system is again back....

Tell me if you get it working.

Rui

Last edited by rmar on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:15 pm 

Quote:
Just the one, I didn't think to look at it though then fdisked the wrong one!
If that is the *only* thing you did to the disk, it should be repairable with TestDisk. Just let it recognize partitions and rebuild the partition table.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:24 pm 

Mijzelf, you're a star - I'll try that tomorrow.

Also thanks for the writeup rmar, I'm hoping I can avoid sending it back as I find their support a little weak.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:25 am 

Rui, I started to go through this and when I came to list the partitions I noted it was sda, not sdb - no biggie I would guess, just swap the sdb part of the tutorial with sda - tell me if I'm wrong.

Anyway I came to thinking again that as its not a new disk, but a dodgy os, could I avoid fdisk as that parts done, so I stepped ahead swapping letters but its telling me the device is busy, is there any way to skip ahead to the gz extraction without killing off all my old data?

@andreus I had a go looking for the files, but being a linux newbie I didn't even know where to start - being a windows user I'm used to the dives just being there to read, thanks for the suggestion though

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:46 am 

I don't know if it will make any difference but I'm booting using a LiveCD (just Ubuntu 10.1 using the try it option) - my thinking being that I couldn't get the disks confused if there aren't any :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:50 am 

Lumpsack wrote:
I don't know if it will make any difference but I'm booting using a LiveCD (just Ubuntu 10.1 using the try it option) - my thinking being that I couldn't get the disks confused if there aren't any :D

Don't worry. The only problem with the live cd is if you have Test Disk installed and also utility Disk.

Anyway you just should try, and pls, verify well, before do anything else, which is the Lacie Disk!

Good work, and many luck!

Rui

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:03 pm 

Cheers, but I think I'll give it another go at a non-destructive solution before wiping it and starting over.

A bit more research is suggesting that the reason its busy is that the live cd has identified a swap partition and is using it, one way to get round this is to make run it from USB, so I've downloading ubuntu 10.10 (the new one doesn't work well with my daughters ancient PC and I couldn't recover the partitions its two bird with one stone).

Of course after that its trash it and live with any lost data and copy back what I've got backed up.

I hope I'm not coming across as ungrateful it just seems like overkill to wipe if I can get away with recover - I hope you understand.