Now for bigger fish...

Lumpsack

Now for bigger fish...

Post by Lumpsack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 am

Hi all,

Some of you have been exceptionally helpful and I'm now running rooted, thanks to andreus's script.

Now thats up and running can I expand on this and get MYSQL on here and possibly host a website?

If not thats fine, its been fun - if so then wonderful, I'll dig into it properly and get rolling.

Incidentally I put this in as a request ages back to LaCie, which they dutifully filed in the bin :)

Mijzelf

Re: Now for bigger fish...

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:50 am

You can chroot Debian, and install whatever you want. (With some restrictions. You can't install extra kernelmodules, and you can't use the ports which the firmware uses twice. So you should move the firmware webinterface to another port, or host your website on a non-standard port. Maybe your router can to port translating).

The other option is to compile your own kernel (the 2Big2 is supported in the Vanilla), ditch the firmware and install native Debian. (Or Gentoo, or ...). My 2Big2 is running Debian Squeeze on a 2.6.39 kernel.

Lumpsack

Post by Lumpsack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Cheers - I've got with a chroot option and currently have a basic LAMP install, I ran into a few issues but between these two pages I got through most of it.

http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Categ ... nvironment
http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-ap ... ueeze-lamp

Although I did have fun with the automount part of the debian install, which killed off Samba to the point where I had to reinstall the firmware!

So far so good, just trying my first reboot of the LaCie to make sure it stuck.

Lumpsack

Post by Lumpsack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Very odd - Apache died - claimed it wasn't installed, but I could see the files through windows, I've reinstalled it but the port I was using is now locked

I'm wondering if the raid isn't duplicating data to both drives as quickly as I think it should as this seems almost like a DFS share.
In fact the more I look the more I see - looking at a file I just edited via nano under squeeze via windows its two hours out and the time had reverted to New York, when I had set it as UK
This would also explain why last night when I was playing the entire contents of the dabian-squeeze share disappeared!

So when I rebooted did I effectively make the wrong drive live as far as squeeze is concerned which is why it thought apache wasn't there when I could see it via SMB?

As port 80 is in use by the dashboard I've switched to 81 (and 82 when 81 started playing up), but "netstat -tulpn| grep :81" reports that nothing is using it but apache still claims (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:81

Perhaps it will work tomorrow when I get back from work!

Lumpsack

Post by Lumpsack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23 pm

lol, silly thing - now it seems to think all ports are in use - I tried 83, 85 & 88.

Noting appears to be using them - its insane!

Lumpsack

Post by Lumpsack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Linux is insane - now it won't un or reinstall apache - I think its easier to start again!

andreus

Post by andreus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Lumpsack you 're on fire :D
Now thats up and running can I expand on this and get MYSQL on here and possibly host a website?
I don't know about MySQL but for lighttp/php you can just make a symbolink link (see viewtopic.php?f=240&t=4613). I think Lacie OS uses a MySQL Db so it should be there too. I think you want more than this, but this is a very simple way to have a simple website online.
Although I did have fun with the automount part of the debian install, which killed off Samba to the point where I had to reinstall the firmware!
Yes, i did that script back in March (i think), it's not 100% stable but is a good example of what can be made. Again if anyone want to improve it go ahead :)
Linux is insane - now it won't un or reinstall apache - I think its easier to start again!
Lol, many times it's better.

Lumpsack

Post by Lumpsack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:14 pm

haha, cheers again!

well its back up and I have phpMyAdmin on screen, now its off to a 12 hour night shift!!

Anyway it'll be good (barring power cuts or my tinkering!!)

Mijzelf

Post by Mijzelf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Lumpsack wrote:lol, silly thing - now it seems to think all ports are in use - I tried 83, 85 & 88.

Noting appears to be using them - its insane!
Have you ever checked yourself for earth radiation? I've never heard of this kind of problems. And I've done a *lot* of chrooting.

andreus

Post by andreus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Have you ever checked yourself for earth radiation? I've never heard of this kind of problems. And I've done a *lot* of chrooting.
:lol: