General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:15 pm 

Hi,

One year ago, I did a clean install of 2 disks of 1TB following this procedure :

http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Installing_firmware_on_fresh_disks_(2Big_2)

Everything worked well.

Now, we bought a new NAS with 2 disks of 2 TB.

When I first pugged in the drive, he automatically performed an update, it went to the latest version of the firmware and I was not allowed to gain root access (ssh).

I decided to reuse the procedure to go to an earlier version but it didn't work because the new drives have sectors of 4096.

Does anybody know the right partition table to apply to drives with such sector size ?

Thanks a lot.

Kevin,
Brussels.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 am 

cedricnet wrote:
it didn't work because the new drives have sectors of 4096.
In what way didn't it work? AFAIK all 'advanced sector format' disks emulate 512B sectors, so except a warning from fdisk (which can be ignored), I'd expect no problems.

Anyway, AFAIK there is nothing magic with the partition table. You can just create the partitions, as long as the size is 'big enough' and the number fits, and just let (sector-size aware) fdisk do the aligning.

Quote:
When I first pugged in the drive, he automatically performed an update, it went to the latest version of the firmware and I was not allowed to gain root access (ssh).
Did you try the custom capsule? It should just work...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:16 am 

Hi i have a similar problem with the one described above and i would like some help if you can.

I am not a newbie in linux i use ubuntu for some time now and after dropping my lacie 2big_2 NAS the drives were dead so i bought 2 new ones from a random supplier and tried the procedure from the link.
Everything went well no error massages and any other problems creating the partition table or the raids with mdadm just a little deference's on the blocks of the drives but the files are there and from the ubuntu system i can view them as well.
My problem is that after finishing both the disks and installing them to the NAS the first disk goes solid blue as it should and the second drive it blinks red and blue along with the front cyclops button. Inside the manual and on the internet when this happens it says that its synchronizing the raid but i left it there for over 2 nights and it still does it , also i can not view the device on my network.

Any suggestions of what i did wrong????

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.