General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 am 

Hi everybody.

I installed this LaCie unit for a friend just four or five days ago, and everything seemed to be OK and working, in RAID 1 mode, with two 3TB HDDs.

Yesterday my friend tried to copy a very big amount of data (±1TB) using the web interface, perhaps not the best way, not the one I would have used, but it should work anyway, even if that took a big part of the day to copy. When the copying process finished, he checked the data was there, correctly copied, and all was OK.

Today, web interface first said unit was working in degraded mode and the front blue light switched to red, and log shows messages telling that yesterday unit in slot 2 was faulty, but now it looks OK.

Now, when I try to open a subdir in FileExplorer I get an error message in the lower side of the window, telling me that there's an error opening the folder. The exact message is

opendir(NAS://B--box/104/ Gallery 104) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: "fsAccessWrapper::dir_opendir" call failed(Source:/B--box/104/ Gallery 104)

Now the NAS status shows only ±60GB of used space, when it should be more than 1TB. Now the question:

Would it be possible to recover the data that is supposed to be there? If yes, how?

Thanks in advance for any info, for any advice, for any help.

Jan.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:35 am 

First, when it's brand-new, it's certainly a 2Big2, and not a 2Big. The last ones haven't been sold for a few years. Further the 2Big doesn't support 3TB disks, so I moved your topic.

And about your data, well, it's hard to say if it's still there. When the array was degraded when the data was uploaded, it was only written to one disk. If it isn't degraded anymore, it has clearly resynced. If the box erroneously synced from the wrong disk, the disk containing the data is overwritten, and is not recoverable.

On the other hand, raid has a mechanism which should prevent syncing in the wrong direction. So maybe 'just' a file corruption occurred. Your error message suggests the same. Did you already try the 'filesystem check' in the webinterface?.

I'm not sure which filesystem is used, but I think xfs. That doesn't support an 'undelete' function, but it might be possible to restore the data lowlevel using PhotoRec or something like that, depending on the nature of the data. The files need to have recognizable headers for this.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:28 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
First, when it's brand-new, it's certainly a 2Big2, and not a 2Big. The last ones haven't been sold for a few years. Further the 2Big doesn't support 3TB disks, so I moved your topic.

This unit is this very model, bought directly from LaCie with HDDs included, and the box says 6TB, so…

Quote:
And about your data, well, it's hard to say if it's still there. When the array was degraded when the data was uploaded, it was only written to one disk. If it isn't degraded anymore, it has clearly resynced. If the box erroneously synced from the wrong disk, the disk containing the data is overwritten, and is not recoverable.

On the other hand, raid has a mechanism which should prevent syncing in the wrong direction. So maybe 'just' a file corruption occurred. Your error message suggests the same. Did you already try the 'filesystem check' in the webinterface?.

I didn't even know that there was a "filesystem check" option in the webinterface. What's more, I'm unable to find it. Could you please tell how to reach it?

Quote:
I'm not sure which filesystem is used, but I think xfs. That doesn't support an 'undelete' function, but it might be possible to restore the data lowlevel using PhotoRec or something like that, depending on the nature of the data. The files need to have recognizable headers for this.

Filesystem is the default one, I think it's ext4, according to this model specifications. And regarding PhotoRec, I've used it with SD cards. If I'm not wrong, I will have to take the faulty disk out of the NAS, put it into an external box and connect it to a computer, is that correct? Will it work the same connected to a WinPC or a Mac?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jan.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:09 am 

JanSmite wrote:
And regarding PhotoRec, I've used it with SD cards. If I'm not wrong, I will have to take the faulty disk out of the NAS, put it into an external box and connect it to a computer, is that correct? Will it work the same connected to a WinPC or a Mac?
It is supposed to. PhotoRec can do lowlevel recovery, which means it doesn't need to support the filesystem, it will just search for clusters which seem to contain a valid file. That will only work for an unfragmented file, and you'll loose your metatadata (timestamp, filename) as they are part of the filesystem, not part of the file.
But AFAIK PhotoRec (also the Win and Mac version) supports ext2, and ext4 is down-compatible, so I think it will work just fine. At least it won't harm to try.

Quote:
Mijzelf wrote:

This unit is this very model, bought directly from LaCie with HDDs included, and the box says 6TB, so…
Hm, this is interesting. It seems you've got yet another box. (Visualize a nice table:)
Box.................|.CPU...................................|.Ram.............|.Firmware
2Big................|.Marvell Orion @400MHz.......|.64MiB..........|.1.x
2Big2..............|.Marvel Kirkwood @1200MHz.|.256MiB........|.2.x
2Big NAS........|.Unknown Arm @2000MHz....|.Unknown......|.3.x

And in the FAQ I found this snippet:
FAQ wrote:
Can I upgrade my 2big Network 2 or 5big Network 2 with 2.5.4 or higher software versions?

No. Old products cannot be upgraded to new NAS OS software since it requires flashing the UBOOT (low level software). This procedure is sensitive since product will not recover if power is shut down by accident.
Don't know what to think about this. I have read that very recent kernels cannot be loaded using an older u-boot, so this might suggest that OS 3 uses a very recent kernel. It is also possible that the used processor is not compatible, which means one kernel cannot fit both. Or it's just nonsense, and Lacie dropped support for older boxes.

But while interesting, it's also off-topic.

Quote:
I didn't even know that there was a "filesystem check" option in the webinterface. What's more, I'm unable to find it. Could you please tell how to reach it?
Hm. I must admit I don't know either. I just vaguely remember there was an option, but I can visualize it, and I don't have a V2 firmware handy at the moment.
And your box runs a V3 firmware, so I don't know if knowledge about how to do it in V2 would help here.

====================================================================================================================
/Edit: I just sifted the 3.0.5.6 update capsule, and according to the kernel strings the kernel does not differ from the latest 2.x capsules:
Code:
Linux version 2.6.31.14-svn7972 (root@sbs2_node0.lacie.com) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202) ) #1 Mon Apr 15 18:23:05 UTC 2013
%s version %s (root@sbs2_node0.lacie.com) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1-202) ) %s
|/-\B
consistent_init
dma_free_coherent
__dma_alloc
armv5te
Feroceon
Feroceon 88FR531-vd
Feroceon 88FR571-vd
Feroceon 88FR131
Kernel version is the same, except for the svn number. The supported SoC's (Feroceon 88F*) are also the same. So I think I can conclude your box also has a Kirkwood, only running on a higher clock frequency.
And the reason from the FAQ is nonsense. A newer u-boot is only needed for disks >2TB (GPT support needed).

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:44 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
It is supposed to. PhotoRec can do lowlevel recovery, which means it doesn't need to support the filesystem, it will just search for clusters which seem to contain a valid file. That will only work for an unfragmented file, and you'll loose your metatadata (timestamp, filename) as they are part of the filesystem, not part of the file.
But AFAIK PhotoRec (also the Win and Mac version) supports ext2, and ext4 is down-compatible, so I think it will work just fine. At least it won't harm to try.
I'll give it a try, but renaming more than a TB worth of files can be huge job… Well, it's not my data, I'll let my friend do the dirty work, hehe

Quote:
Quote:
Hm, this is interesting. It seems you've got yet another box. (Visualize a nice table:)
Box.................|.CPU...................................|.Ram.............|.Firmware
2Big................|.Marvell Orion @400MHz.......|.64MiB..........|.1.x
2Big2..............|.Marvel Kirkwood @1200MHz.|.256MiB........|.2.x
2Big NAS........|.Unknown Arm @2000MHz....|.Unknown......|.3.x
Yes, this is certainly a 2Big NAS with v3.x FW

Quote:
Quote:
Hm. I must admit I don't know either. I just vaguely remember there was an option, but I can visualize it, and I don't have a V2 firmware handy at the moment.
And your box runs a V3 firmware, so I don't know if knowledge about how to do it in V2 would help here.
Yesterday night I did a thing that I didn't think it would be harmful: a simple rebooting, in the believing that a reboot would do a self-check, repairing the filesystem by itself. Well, I did remotely, and now I cannot access the NAS any more. I've tried to access it from a computer on the same LAN, also remotely, but it says that the NAS is powering on. More than 16 hours have passed since, so I really hope that is checking and repairing a TB worth of data and that's why it's taking so long… :roll: :?:

Jan.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:37 pm 

16 hours for a filesystem check? Well, I help you hoping...

BTW, you friend copied a TB of files to a NAS, and deleted the originals? Maybe you should talk to him about backups. Or maybe that's not needed anymore. :?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:23 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
16 hours for a filesystem check? Well, I help you hoping...

BTW, you friend copied a TB of files to a NAS, and deleted the originals? Maybe you should talk to him about backups. Or maybe that's not needed anymore. :?

That's the first thing I told him, if I was still keeping the original data. Unfortunately, that's not the case: I told me that he checked the data was on the NAS (after all, it's a RAID 1, so data should be stored TWICE), so then deleted, formatted the drives containing the original data. The failure happened after deletion, so…

BTW, 21 hours and counting… Tomorrow I will check it on place.

Jan.

PS: shouldn't this thread be moved back the the 2big NAS forum? Not that I care, you are being very helpful, no matter when the thread is ;) Just for the sake of correctness :)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 pm 

JanSmite wrote:
formatted the drives containing the original data.
Tell him to keep the disks apart. The data is still on them, and might be recovered using PhotoRec. It's still possible the raid array synced the wrong way.

Quote:
after all, it's a RAID 1, so data should be stored TWICE
No. That's a mistake. It's stored once, on two equal disks. Raid is *not* a backup. It protects you against failure of a single disk. No more. It doesn't protect you against
  • No.1 in data loss: Human mistake, manually deletion of the files.
  • Filesystem corruption (You have 1 filesystem on two disks).
  • A dying power supply which as last action generates a voltage peak, killing both disks.
  • Lightning
  • Theft.
  • Mechanical demolishing of the disks (let the NAS drop and both disks die)
And then I'm not talking about the fact that in most raid arrays the disks are from a single batch, and are subject to the same wear, which makes the likelihood they die that short after each other that you can't sync a new disk uncomfortably big.

A good backup is on a different device, and preferably on a different place.

Quote:
PS: shouldn't this thread be moved back the the 2big NAS forum? Not that I care, you are being very helpful, no matter when the thread is ;) Just for the sake of correctness :)
The 2Big Network forum is about the old Orion based box, which is produced until +/- 2010. As far as I can see your box is a 2Big2 with a faster processor, and a newer firmware, which Lacie renamed to 2Big NAS. Maybe we'll need a new subforum.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
JanSmite wrote:
formatted the drives containing the original data.
Tell him to keep the disks apart. The data is still on them, and might be recovered using PhotoRec. It's still possible the raid array synced the wrong way.
I'll tell him, thanks for the advice. He told me he formatted those disks in a different FS, from NTFS or FAT32 to MasOS Plus. I really hope he didn't do a lowlevel format.

Quote:
A good backup is on a different device, and preferably on a different place.
Again, good advice.

Quote:
Maybe we'll need a new subforum.
Hehe, first message, new subforum… Not bad ;)

Jan.

PS: 24 hours and running… Bad vibrations :roll: