General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:55 pm 

Hello, I bought my 2big NAS two days ago and wanted root access.
I followed the guide here (http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... 82Big_2%29) as good as I could, but I am stuck at the step when creating partitions. What do I have to enter after starting fdisk to create the partitions? I have a 3TB drive

Edit: I have now created the tables, but fdisk -l alwazs shows "Partition X does not start at physical sector boundary.
Edit2: I have figured out how to create the partitions (above problem still persists) and followed the rest of the guide. After booting my NAS, the front LED is solid red and the two disk LED's are solid blue. I can't log into the web interface either

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 pm 

That instructions are to reinstall the firmware. It won't give you root access.

There is a problem with 3TB disks. They have more than 2³32 sectors, which means an MBR partition table (like fdisk makes) can only address 2TB. To 'solve' that problem many (all?) USB-sata convertors show 4kB logical sectors. In that case fdisk can handle up to 16TB, but unfortunately the created partition table is not valid when connected directly through sata.

For 3TB disks you should create a GPT partition table, using parted or gparted. GPT doesn't support extended or logical partitions, which means you'll have to create dummy partitions sda1, sda3 and sda4, to be able to create the others. And this cannot be done using an USB-sata convertor, due to the wrong sector size.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 pm 

Alright, thank you. I know how to handle gparted, but I'm not sure how big the individual partitions should be for two 3 TB drives

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 pm 

Just make them 'big enough'. The dummy partitions as small as possible, they are not used. partitions 6, 7 and 10 should be 8MiB, but a bit larger won't harm. I'd make partitions 8 and 9 a bit (50%?) bigger. Maybe firmware 3.x needs some more room. And partition 2 is just the remaining space.
It is important that both disks have an identical table.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:48 pm 

Very same problem here. ;) I had previously 2x 1Tb disks inside 2Big 2. Everything worked fine. (Capsule 2.2.10.1 updated) However I'd like to upgrade system to 2x 3Tb empty disks from beginning. (2x Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB)

Earlier I have been able to configure the system successfully with nas-central's tutorial nas-certal.org's http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... 82Big_2%29. The tutorial guides to use MBR +FDISK. Configuring the system under <2Tb disks is rather easy, but with >3Tb disks partitioning needs to be created in GPT format (With gdisk). I have been trying to figure out correct method from different forum sources, howto reconfigure my 2Big 2 again, but with no luck.

Would someone kindly post here clear & simple partition (Gdisk) + firmware install guide how to get my Lacie back running.
Where to find partition model (sample of sector sizes) for 3Tb disks? How about using Gdisk with 3Tb disks?