General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:49 am 

So.....I have been rooted for a long time (I actually made the rooting sticky) and one of my main goals was to get on the fly transcoding for FLAC and MKV to my PS3. I just recently got it all set up the way I wanted and started to dabble with Transmission, this is where it gets tricky. Upon enabling transmission it wouldn't work, complaining of space issues. My eco light was set to off and flashed all night, after several attempts to wake, wake, and reboot the device I finally did a master reset. Started to move some files and realized I was deleting my data and not the trash ! I quickly ran to the next room and unplugged the NAS. I plugged it back in, it showed up with the correct space I allocated in the web interface. Subsequently, the partitions were unreachable so I did another factory reset.

......and now my unit will boot and show in the dashboard, but will show no volumes and will not pass the initial setup screen thru the web assistant. I keep getting an NTP error even when I have it disabled. I cannot force update as there is no volumes listed to add the necessary path. Root access was lost when I factory reset which took it from custom capsule 2.2.8.5.1 to 1.17

The most important thing to me is getting my data back, and expert help will be appreciated !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 pm 

I guess the filesystem on the data partition and/or the overlay partition is damaged due to the power outage.

You can use fvdw_sl console to inject a custom kernel over network, without touching the disks, and do some checks on the filesystems in a telnet shell.
More info on http://plugout.net

Of course you can also connect the disks to a Linux PC to do the same checks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:11 am 

Thanks for the speedy reply, I looked there, registered, but it won't let me access any content of the site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:23 pm 

An forum error, you mean? fvdw is also active on this forum. You can pm him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:41 pm 

nope it is not a forum error but anti spamming measure in case your ip info is suspicious.
We got tired to remove spammers and their posts. I will release your account ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:45 pm 

its done you should be able to acess the site now...don't become a spammer please

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:51 am 

Thanks bud, hopefully I get some help there ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:28 am 

Here is my problem, can you please point me in the right direction ?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:17 pm 

you could load our fvdw-sl standalone kernel and mount the data partition(s) to see what is still there.
After that it could be used to copy the data for instance by attaching an usb disk.
Also it could be used to write partition image of lacie to the system partitions in order to try to restore the original firmware. of course you will need to have a copy of those images, but they might be available on the internet. (I don't have them (the lacie firmware images) for a nwsp2max)

Installing our firmware without repartitoning the disks is not possible. If you repartition then the data on your disks is lost.

Also you could take out the disks and connect them using a sate->usb interface to a pc running linux to read the data partitions and copy them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:32 am 

Is there a guide or reference I should consult to try and recover the data without partitioning or opening the case ?

I have skype and gchat if someone is willing to help....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:40 am 

I think it's enough to get the filesystem on the data partition running again. Maybe by putting a new one on it.

Instructions on usage of fvdw_sl console can be found in 'Firmware and Howto guides downloads' on plugout.net. If you managed to get a telnet console on your box, you can get further help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:30 pm 

Mijzelf wrote:
I think it's enough to get the filesystem on the data partition running again. Maybe by putting a new one on it.

Instructions on usage of fvdw_sl console can be found in 'Firmware and Howto guides downloads' on plugout.net. If you managed to get a telnet console on your box, you can get further help.

I've already looked at it and it's not very specific. Does it need to be on my router or can it be connected directly via ethernet ? It stays on the waiting for Uboot screen until I manually close it and I've tried both connections I mentioned. I have tried running as admin n all, the two red lights will flash indicating the boot has been interrupted by your program, still nothing. Do I need what the lacie network assistant is displaying as an IP or what ipconfig says my ip4 is ? I am following these guides but there is not a lot of in depth info.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm 

the nas and the (windows) pc running the fvdw-sl console should be on the same lan, preferable via a router and wired connections. Dropouts in wireless connections can make netcat miss the trigger signals and confuse the console, but in principle it should work as well.
Furthermore your network should have ip's 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx. I assume you are also aware of the meaning of netmask setting. Typically a router uses a netmask 255.255.255.0 that means you can only connect to devices that have the same first three octets. So if you router uses as pool ip pool 192.168.1.xxx and has netmask set to 255.255.255.0 you cannot connect to ip's that do not start with 192.168.1
So be sure you router uses one of the above mentioned ranges.

The ip address mentioned in the console is the ip address for the nas not your PC (the ip of your pc is mentioned separately in the console window)). If you router uses 192.168.1.xxx then set it to 192.168.1.252 (=the default value), if it uses 192.168.0.xxxx change it to 192.168.0.252
When using the standalone kernel loading feature this ip is used by the telnet client to connect to the nas.
After boot is interrupted then the u-boot console window should show a command prompt shortly and it should automatically continue and start to upload the kernel to the nas (assuming you used the action load standalone kernel) the progress will be visible in the u-boot window. After that is finished the u-boot window will close automatic and after 12 seconds the telnet client window will appear and the client will try to connect to the nas using the ip address set in the console.

The standalone kernel will assign the nas two static ip addresses 192.168.1.252 and 192.168.0.252 and also it will try to get a dynamic ip address from the dhcp server in your lan (normally your router). The telnet client will by default use the ip address set in the console to try to connect to the nas. If it is set to 192.168.1.252 then the telnet client of the fvdw-sl console will use that to try to connect, if you have set it to 192.168.0.252 it will use that one
You can also set the ip address in the telnet client yourself by using the connect menu of the telnet client.
Sometimes the standalone kernel needs more time to boot, especially when there are disk problems. In that case the telnet client may try to early to connect to the nas while the telnet server is not yet running. If that happens just try again after a while to connect using the connect button in the telnet client.

ps the fact that you get the two red flashes indicates that the console has interrupted the boot, so you must be doing something wrong in the setup or you have chosen the wrong action from the action menu.

Hope it is more clear now...and the help menu in the console gives quite some explanations ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 pm 

Cool, well that clears up some of my concerns. I'll try to get them on wired on the same router and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:34 am 

*Edit*

Finally got telnet to open and login, now what ?