I'm writing this guide in hopes of helping somone do this quick and easy.
1. Make sure your SpaceMax 4tb/2tb is on firmware 1.1.8, If not
2. Enable ssh
3. Generate a public/private keypair
ssh-keygen -b 1024 -t rsa -N YOUR_PASSWORD -f lacie_sm
4. Create a folder for the public key on the SpaceMax
5. Encode the key
open in your browser site http://www.string-functions.com/urlencode.aspx
Enter the contents of file lacie_sm.pub in the upper window, and then click "Encode!".
in the lower window appears encoded rsa pub key content that will be necessary in these queries
6. Install the public key
http://your.SpaceMax.ip.address/browser/plugins/access.ssh/checkInstall.php?destServer=2%3E/dev/null||echo%20<INSERT ENCODED RSA PUB KEY HERE>%3E/root/.ssh/authorized_keys&&echo%20%22--Host%22
6. Reboot the device
7. If everything went ok you should be able to connect via ssh with
ssh -i ./lacie_sm root@your.SpaceMax.ip.address
8. Other notes and possibilities.
You need to be root to access the ssh terminal on the device. (In windows use PuTTy or WinSCP)
If you think its not working do a check:
See the results:
You should see sshd on the list, but if it has # in front you did something wrong.
Big thanks to : ak97, andreus, quicknick, & kalleguld