General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 am 

Some investigation shows that the trick might work on a 'Max. Until recently, an update capsule only contained the differences between previous firmware and the current. So this could never be used to install the firmware from scratch, as large parts were lacking.

I sifted the latest capsule file, and indeed it seems to contain a complete filesystem for sda8, and one for sda7. The latter is never updated, and so can only be used to install on a fresh disk.

Now it's not clear to me what failed on your system. I think the installer connects to uBoot using some clunc like interface, uploads a kernel, and boots it. Then it either uploads the filesystem using tftp or ftp, or runs a tftp or ftp server itself, and let the kernel fetch it. In both cases a firewall could be annoying, and in case of tftp, the network must be good. No packet drops, no nothing. You could try it with a direct cable between your PC and your NAS.

I also uploaded the extracted partition dumps.

/Update: After looking in the initrd of the update kernel, I see that the kernel gets the IP address of a tftp server by a commandline param. So your PC is running an tftp server and serves the partition dumps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:48 pm 

Mijzelf,

Should I rebuilt my partition tables using the files you uploaded?

Are there files for sda6, sda9, sda10?

When attempting the recovery method from Lacie Network Assistant - In my MAC logs I see the tftp sever load the capsule and the NAS reboots but then eventually errors out. The last message is

Command sent : bootm
***Capsule loaded***
***Waiting forapparition***

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:09 pm 

Quote:
Should I rebuilt my partition tables using the files you uploaded?
You can try. This are 'Max filesystems and kernel.
Quote:
Are there files for sda6, sda9, sda10?
sda6 is provided (this is the kernel), and sda9 and 10 not. These don't contain any data. Sda9 is only an empty filesystem, and sda10 is completely blank.
The 2Big2 instructions tell how to treat this.

Quote:
my MAC logs
What are MAC logs?
Quote:
Command sent : bootm
***Capsule loaded***
***Waiting forapparition***
bootm is the command used in u-boot to boot the (uploaded) kernel. This kernel then downloads the capsule over tftp, which apparently happens. 'Apparition' is french for appearance. Lacie is french, so I suppose someone forgot to translate this. And I also suppose this means the software waits for the NAS to reboot and become available.
The capsule is transferred over tftp, which doesn't have any error detection and recovery. So the capsule might be crippled during transfer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 pm 

Folks,

Happy to finally report that after many many days & hours I now have a working 2Big Network2 NAS. Special thanks to Mijzelf for all the tips.

Below are I've provided the critical steps that led to the success in case a newbie like myself struggles.

1. To get the partition table to match what you see from http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Insta ... 82Big_2%29 using fdisk you must use option "u" and option "c". Option "c" was suggested in previous thread and enables some DOS compatibility mode that allows the partition blocks to match up. Otherwise I no matter how I tried I did not end up with matching blocks and ran into "no space left on disk" issues.
2. I couldn't see the NAS on the network until BOTH drives were setup and installed. I incorrectly tried several times to shortcut by installing 1 drive and it never would become visible on the network.
3. When overwriting the MBR u need to delete pre-existing MBR on the disk. I found several cases that seemed to fail to overwrite when I tried and just caused more confusion. Best plan is to delete it then load the MBR+lablel.

Hope that helps.

T

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:10 am 

tlevin wrote:
I now have a working 2Big Network2 NAS
Congratulations! You used the 2Big2 partititons? Does the box act like a 2Big2 in all respects? I would expect a 'Networkspace Max' or 'Unknown NAS' in the status page, and further just a working system.

Quote:
critical steps
I'll add it to the Wiki.
What do you mean by 'deleting the MBR'?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am 

Mijzelf,

By all accounts it no longer acts as a NS MAX. Status page shows 2big network 2.

You can delete the master boot record using dd. A best practice to ensure that the correct mbr and partitions are loaded.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd<drive letter> bs=512 count=1

I had trouble because sometimes I did not overwrite the old mbr correctly.

T

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am 

Hi Guys,

With my Network Space Max i've seemed to have done the same, i've replace both disks with two new 2tb disks but long story short I need to recreate the partitions on the disks.

What is the best\easiest way to do this? I know a bit of partitioning but by no means an expert (sorry).

tlevin, when you say "By all accounts it no longer acts as a NS MAX. Status page shows 2big network 2" is that a big deal that its saying its a different device? Does it do all the things the NS Max can do?

Hope someone can help, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm 

You would have to compare the different products to see features differences but for my use 2big network 2 is as good or better. In my case I was just happy to have saved my old data and then a working NAS.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:00 pm 

Thanks, thats good to know.

I've grabbed all the files from here - http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/ ... ig2/1.3.6/ (Thanks Mijzelf)

I'm just not too sure how to use these files to set the partitions back up again for the lacie to recognise them.
Will I need to have linux to use the fdisk? I have access to the latest osx and win8 machines at home, but i can knock up a ubuntu desktop if need be

Thanks in advanced if you can help. Again, my apologies as I'm not very good with this.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:49 am 

Sorry but I really need some help getting this sorted.
Im trying to create the partitions in fdisk and its not working how you've described it

I appear to write the mbr+label.gz

i go into fdisk and im attepting the first partition but it wont let me select 1 as the first sector

Im getting:
Partition number (1-4, default 1): 1
First sector (2048-3907029167, default 2048): 1
Value out of range.

Obviously I can see that its showing the first available number is 2048 and i can get any further.

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I see that by writing the mbr file, it creates partitions 1 and 5 but they are the wrong size then what the table said it should be

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:01 am 

It's in the Wiki:
Wiki wrote:
For more modern fdisk versions (2012+?) you'll need to use the flags -cu:
Code:
fdisk -cu /dev/sdb
This switches on 'dos compatibility' and 'cylinder units'. On older fdisk versions it does the reverse. (Or in other words, the default mode is changed somewhere in 2011/2012)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:31 pm 

Got it working. Thanks.

I'm not strong on linux but was having problems in different areas getting the error:

Quote:
Device or resource busy
mdadm: super0.90 cannot open /dev/sdbX: Device or resource busy

Ran "cat /proc/mdstat" to see what was running and then

Then killed off the offending md: "mdadm --stop /dev/mdXXX"

Doing the raid sync as we speak, should be good to go when i wake up in the morning.