General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm 

Well after some time i get my Space MAx back... but no disks inside.(long Story!!!)

Got another 1TB disk and start creating the partitions... so far so good.

Now, is there around any image from the Space Max that someone got?

If not is there any other image close enough that works? And last but not least... can all this work be done with just one disk?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm 

request

could you post some pictures of the mainboard of the nwsp2 max ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:13 pm 

I currently have mine open. I will extract the System Board fully and post photos.

As Promised. http://imgur.com/a/h2q5m#0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 am 

thanks very much, it is basically the same board as in the nwsp2 classic only there is an extra connector for a second sata drive. Some components are also added, could you make a close op of that part (what you mention sata header) Need to look if nwsp2 classic can be converted to accept two disks instead of 1

also interesting is the fan header ! This should make it possible to install a fan on nwsp2 classic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 pm 

@ virginiavn900: Do you mind if I put these photo's in the wiki?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:52 pm 

Hi All,

I just got a refurbished full working network Space Max from Ebay. I have another old one without disks, my goal is:
- to get the a backup of the working drives so I can experiment on getting bigger drives working
- Create the needed partitions on new drives to be able to use the old unit again
- Upload the needed parts somewhere so everyone with a unit without disks can restore it again.

I opened the working unit and made two Acronis disk to disk copies, one of each disk (1 TB Seagate) on another (2 TB Samsung), the unit does not start with the cloned disks (blink red blue red blue ....)

I started copying with dd, but I have to admit that I am an idiot when it comes to linux, I just got a blinking HDD LED for 8 hours, no way to check the progress of the operation, and the how to (kill command stuff to get a message from dd) did not work for me. I had to cancel the copy, I needed my machine.

My question:
Can some one assist me with linux steps, distribution to download, how to use dd, or the other one fflddd (I don't remember the name) so I can
1. clone the drives
2. Check if it works
3. Find a place to upload the images for the community
4. migrate the system images to 2TB or 3TB drives.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 am 

I don't think a simple disk image will be portable between to MAX'es. Because of this story where tlevin installed 2Big2 partitions on his box.

The 2Big2 (and AFAIK all multidisk Lacie NASses) has a eeprom, in which it stores the UUID's of the installed raid arrays. If the UUID doesn't fit, the box refuses to boot. I *think* this is to know which disk is 'the right one' when a degraded raid1 volume is supplemented by a disk already containing a Lacie partitioning.

Because the UUIDs of your NAS#1 won't fit the eeprom values of your NAS#2, the disks will be rejected.

To overcome that you'll have to write "LaCieFirstBootLaCie" (without quotes) to byte 1536 of a MBR disk, or byte 0 of a GPT disk. In that case the disks will be recognized as 'new', and new raidarrays will be made. (This will destroy your data, BTW).

In this thread I also tell how to manually install 2Big2 firmware, how to manually install MAX firmware (extracted from an update tarball. Not tested), or how to install using the (new) official Lacie recovery method.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:54 pm 

Hi Mijzelf,

thanks a lot for your reply. I will try the steps to see if I can get the other unit to act as a 2Big2.

Regarding the working Max unit, I managed to get it working with bigger drivers.
I did a full "dd" copy of each 1TB drive on a 2 TB drive on a linux machine
I used "parted" to delete the sdx2 partitions and create them again with bigger sizes.
I put the new drives in the unit. After rebooting, the unit saw both drives as new, so I had to choose the raid level and format.

Another Question please:
How do you create the compressed image files from the original partitions. I did create a compressed image with dd of the hole drive, but I couldn t restore, dd was always stopping with a "no space left on disk" message. Do you have a "howTo" for that.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 pm 

daskamel wrote:
Regarding the working Max unit, I managed to get it working with bigger drivers.
I did a full "dd" copy of each 1TB drive on a 2 TB drive on a linux machine
I used "parted" to delete the sdx2 partitions and create them again with bigger sizes.
I put the new drives in the unit. After rebooting, the unit saw both drives as new, so I had to choose the raid level and format.
You deleted the partitions? In theory the raid array (and it's UUID) survives that. That might be the reason the firmware accepts the disk. But of course it's also possible the Max doesn't have that eeprom, and the 2Big2 firmware accepts that.

Quote:
How do you create the compressed image files from the original partitions. I did create a compressed image with dd of the hole drive, but I couldn t restore, dd was always stopping with a "no space left on disk" message. Do you have a "howTo" for that.
The only partitions which are important are sdx6 (kernel), sdx7 (bootfs) and sdx8 (rootfs). sdx7 and 8 are probable a raid1 array.

You can create the dumps this way:
Code:
# Raw dump of kernel
dd if=/dev/sdx6 | gzip >/path/to/sda6.gz
# Assemble and mount rootfs
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdx7 --run
mkdir /tmp/mp
mount -o ro /dev/md0 /tmp/mp
# create dump
cd /tmp/mp
tar czf /path/to/sda7.tgz *
# umount, stop,
cd /
umount /tmp/mp
mdadm --stop /dev/md0
# Assemble and mount bootfs
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sdx8 --run
mount -o ro /dev/md0 /tmp/mp
# create dump
cd /tmp/mp
tar czf /path/to/sda8.tgz *
cd /
umount /tmp/mp
mdadm --stop /dev/md0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 am 

Dear Mijzelf,

I failed to try the workaround (install 2big 2 on blank disks) that you pointed me to.

1. I overwrote the mbr with zeros
2. I copied the provided mbr.

When I started fdisk, I got an error, because my drives are too big. In fact, I want to try it on 3TB drives.

When I started parted, I didn't know how to reproduce the partition table from the text file, could you help with that please?

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 am 

Another information,

the refurbished Network Space Max that I m using came back with 2 1TB drives that had a GPT partition!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 am 

You can't create the partition table exactly as stated when using GPT. The partitions 5-10 are logical partitions in the extended partition 1, which causes the 'gap' 3,4.
A GPT doesn't support logical or extended partitions, so you'll have to add 'dummy' partitions 1,3 and 4. These can be as small as parted allows, they are not actually used, their only function is to occupy their partition numbers, as GPT doesn't provide 'gaps' in the numbering.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm 

Hi again Mijzelf,

so I took 2 3TB WD drives and tried the workaround with a GPT partition. Created the dummy partitions and so on.
The Network space max booted but did not work.

After that I took 2 2TB Seagte drives and followed the workaround creating MSDOS partitions, and YES it works and it is a lacie 2Big Network !!!!
Now when I login, it says new firmware available, can I update the firmware?

Another question: Why is it not working with the GPT partition?
I think it did not work with GPT because of the MBR. I wrote the MBR using "gzip -dc /full/path/to/mbr+label.gz | dd of=/dev/sdb" as you advised me before, but then, I hat to write a new GPT partition table to the drives, so maybe that "NewLacieDrive" information went lost again, don't you think so? Is there a way to check this? (read the mbr or directly edit it)

Thank you a lot dear Mijzelf for all your support.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:49 pm 

daskamel wrote:
can I update the firmware?
I think so. Just try it.

On a GPT disk the "LaCieFirstBootLaCie" is written on a different place. On a FAT disk it is written on byte 1536, but that address is used by GPT. So for GPT it has to be written to byte 0:
Code:
echo LaCieFirstBootLaCie | dd of=/dev/sdx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:39 pm 

Hi Mijzelf,
1. Updating the firmware is not good :-) ! One finished, the device is unusable. I tried restoring sda6, 7, and 8 with the files from the download area, as done while setting up the device as a 2big, but device won t boot anymore. Right after the update, I became a red-blue-red blinking, device not responding. After restoring sda6 to 8 it kept bliking in blue, as if it were booting but never finished....

2. While restarting the partitioning and the steps for a "2big" device, I thought I gave the Network Space Max files you extracted from a capsule a try.
My first problem, was that sda7 was too small, so I had to change the partition sizes. After I finished, the device won't boot :-( , so apparently, it's not working, or maybe I missed something.

Anyway, the 2Big mod works thanks god. I still didn't try the one with the GPT partitions.....

Thank you