General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:15 pm 

When I came home from vacation my nas suddenly has stopped working. Do not know if it was due to a power failure. During boot the yellow and blue leds flashing but I cannot see in my router that it has an IP assigned. After a while it is a solid yellow light, and I can here the drive is working. Then it is a beep-sound?!. In wireshark I can see the following:
Iomega_0e:8c:f5 Broadcast ARP 60 Gratuitous ARP for 169.254.228.103 (Request). Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:19 am 

According to the Wiki alternating blue/yellow means that no DHCP server is found. Your wireshark log says the same. The box is assigning itself an APIPA address (169.254.228.103 in this case), but first it checks if no-one else is using that address already.

You have 3 possibilities. For some reason your DHCP server (the router, in most cases) doesn't assign the NAS an ip address, or the receiving line of the NAS network interface doesn't work, or somehow the firmware got damaged in that way that it won't accept the assigned address.

You can assign your PC an address in the 169.254.x.y/16 range. The NAS should be accessible at 169.254.228.103. (But that could change at next boot). If that works, have a look at your router and NAS network settings. If it doesn't work, check your cables, and/or try another port in the switch/router.

As a last resort you could reload the firmware (Installing firmware on a new disk). If you omit chapter 8, Data Partition, it should leave your data.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 am 

Hi again. Thanks for your reply. I managed to get it to work (sort of) by reinstalling firmware and assign it a static ip. I can telnet to it, and browse to it in my webbrowser. There the shares seems ok and I can see the files. But I cannot access it through the network or mount any of my shares. Could the be something wrong with the samba setup and how can I verify it?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:48 am 

By reinstalling the firmware you have done a factory reset. So the box forgot all your added shares. The directories are still there, but the box doesn't 'know' it.

To be able to mount a share, you'll have to re-create it. Or you can move your data into one of the default shares.