General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:22 am 

I am curious what suggestions as to how to make a backup of the data on a HMNHD. I have had one crash already so I need to get this one backed up ASAP. I am a windows 7 user. I am also no linux expert, merely messed around and thats it. Is it as simple as plugging in a larger 2TB external hard drive in the back of the HMNHD and copy and pasting? I'm thinking there are easier ways but its not coming to me. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:36 am 

You can plug in an external USB drive and copy everything to that drive, that's actually a pretty good plan.

If you do so via samba (ie. via your computer over the network) it'll go pretty slow, since it's routed through your computer (at least, I think it is).
The better way to do it is via SSH, using the command cp (copy). This will be limited to the speed of the USB connection.

Another way to do it, is to take out the hard drive, connect it to your pc using SATA, connect the target (backup) drive the same way and booting into linux (you can use a live USB stick, you won't need to install linux). You can then copy using whatever linux filemanager is in the specific distro. This will be the fastest way in the sense that it's limited by the sata connection, which is faster than usb. It does, however, require some work in taking the hard drive out of the NAS and putting it in your pc.

There's one more thing: if you use one of these three options you can save all the files (data) that are on your NAS. There is also the option of creating an exact duplicate of the drive, in that case if the original HDD breaks you can insert the backup and the nas will continue working without issue. You'll have to connect both drives to a computer and use the dd command. If that's something you're interested in you'll have to look in to it in more detail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 am 

Hi Driminicus,

I am rather comfortable with unix. I suppose I'd SSH into the HMNHD using its IP address.

However, is there a way to schedule periodic backups rather than having to "manually" run a cp command?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:56 am 

I tried to SSH to the HMNHD using its IP address, but it didn't work. The connection was refused. Do I need to include the password in the SSH command (rather than being prompted for it) or use an alternate port different from the default port 22?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:43 pm 

huperzia wrote:
Hi Driminicus,

I am rather comfortable with unix. I suppose I'd SSH into the HMNHD using its IP address.

However, is there a way to schedule periodic backups rather than having to "manually" run a cp command?

Thanks.
Yes, you can use crontab for that.

huperzia wrote:
I tried to SSH to the HMNHD using its IP address, but it didn't work. The connection was refused. Do I need to include the password in the SSH command (rather than being prompted for it) or use an alternate port different from the default port 22?

You'll need to enable telnet following the guide. If you then enable apt-get you can install dropbear which is a ssh deamon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:51 pm 

Yeah, I realized that enabling telnet was the solution after posting the message. Telnet's working now, so I just have to use crontab... Thanks for the crontab info!