General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:21 am 

Hi there, I'm running low on space on my Iomega home media nas so thought I'd use the USB port to add some extra storage.

The new drive appears ok, and comes up as a share but I can't seem to get my dlna client to see any media on the drive - I've set it to be a media drive and re-scanned but I can't see anything on that drive from my TV.

Is there something else I need to do?

Cheers

Jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:40 am 

You need to tell twonky to index the files on the share.
Go to the http frontend, click on folders and there you should be able to enable DLNA on the folder containing your media.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 am 

Cheers - that's worked great - I had to put in a symbolic link to the external drive in /mnt/system/media/twonky/data/ but after I did that and entered the path in the Twonky configuration page it seems to be scanning correctly.

Cheers

Jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:00 pm 

Couple more issues i'm having with this, hopefully someone will have an idea how to sort this out.

I've added the drive as a symbolic link to /mnt/system/media/twonky/data/

however every time the NAS reboots it seems to rename what it calls the USB drive, causing the link to break.

IE: /mnt/ext/USB_BUFFALO_External_HDD_o_1
/mnt/ext/USB_BUFFALO_External_HDD_k_1
/mnt/ext/USB_BUFFALO_External_HDD_g_1

etc

Is there a way to set this to always mount it as a specific mountpoint?

I was also looking at running a script at bootup to recreate these symlinks - does anyone know where I would locate such a script, so it would be run everytime the nas boots up?

I also have another issue with Samba/Symbolic links but i'll stick that in another topic.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:35 pm 

I added a script to delete and re-create these symlinks in the rc.local, but this seems to run before the USB drive is recognised, therefore fails to complete sucessfully - requiring it to be re-run after a couple of min of uptime.

any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:46 pm 

Maybe you could tell twonky to scan /mnt/ext/ via the twonky configuration, though I don't know if that'll work.
You can find on the forums how to enable the twonky configuration webpage. (IIRC you'll have to edit twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini and then go to http://*NASIP*:9000/ )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 am 

Unfortunately twonky only let's me specify folders in the /mnt/system/media/twonky/data/ directory to watch, which is why I had to make a symlink to the USB drive, although I guess I could just put it to the base /mnt/ext directory instead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:36 pm 

Wait... /mnt/system doesn't even exist on my drive. Do you happen to have the cloud edition? There's a different subforum for the cloud edition.