General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:59 am 

My network hard drive is pingable but "unavailable" as per the iomega storage manager. It can't be discovered by windows. I have tried connecting to it \\<ipaddress>> and I get connection refused. I have tried SSH/ Telnet etc... and all come back with "connection refused"

The device has solid white light. When I power cycle it - the white light comes on followed by blue flashing light, then the blue & white lights alternate and finally the blue goes away & white stays on.

I am guess since the device is pingable some part of it is working. But, since I am not able to get to the share/ discover something related to storage is not working.

Please help. How do I troubleshoot this? And, if I can't revive it is there a way to get the data off it?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:28 am 

You can find the behaviour of the leds here.
Flashing blue and white is normal while booting, solid white means " Drive powered up and ready."

You can take out the hard drive and read the contents with a linux distro (you can connect it to your computer and run a linux distro from USB) so assuming the hard drive still works you should be able to recover everything.

As for the troubleshooting. Have you tried powering it down, unplugging the power and holding down the powerbutton for 30(ish) seconds?
If that doesn't solve it you'll probably have to connect the hard drive to a linux pc and see if you can find any error logs, since you have no other way of accessing the drive.
Oh, have you tried going to http://<<nasipaddress>>/ in your browser? Chances are slim but if you haven't done that yet give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:32 pm 

Thanks for the help and the links. I have tried most of the stuff. I have not tried keeping the power button pressed down for 30 secs. I did try hitting the "reset" pinhole. Looks like my work for the weekend is cutout.

thanks

update: tried the power switch. no luck. did a port scan - all ports show up as closed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:01 pm 

see my post in topic ' NAS Becomes Unresponsive'
Similar problem, still looking for fix.