General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:54 am 

Keep getting white/red flashing (I believe indicates "no OS"). I am by no means a Linux expert.

Using Parted Magic 2013-11-11, followed wiki instructions, wipe and repeated a couple times. Operations appear to complete without error. Setting the NAS up with an (old) WD5000AVS (500GB) to replace a failing OE Seagate 1TB. The OE drive boots but unmounts/locks up sporadically. The WD drive was pulled from a working MS windows installation in favor of a (much faster and larger) ultrastar . Connecting drives to laptop via USB dual bay dock.

I end up with 3 partitions:
sdc3 unknown 24mb -- -- --
sdc1 ext3 3.92gb ~900mb used raid flag
sdc2 xfs ~470GB ~210mb used raid flag

Looking at the OE drive (that boots in the enclosure) gparted shows parts 3 & 1 with unknown fs and the data part 2 as xfs.

Tried clonezilla local part to part (not surprisingly) it refuses to work with the unknown fs partition 3 and 1 on the OE drive.

Since we have to boot Linux to access these drives anyway, would it be possible package the MBR/Kernel/etc on a clonezilla image file leaving only the data partition to be created manually or resized?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:50 pm 

You have seen this I suppose?

Is it possible that Parted Magic uses gpt? The box will not boot from a gpt disk.
Quote:
The OE drive boots but unmounts/locks up sporadically.
Have you looked at the specified power consumption of the old and new disk? If the old one sometimes umounts due to lack of juice, the new disk might just draw too much.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:10 pm 

I got it to run! Used clonezilla partition imaging function. For whatever reason the enclosure didn't like the 3rd partition (24mb) created via the wiki instructions. cloned/restored partition 3 from the OE drive to the "new" as a raw partition and the box booted right up, webui accessable. As a side note I also created an image of part 1 (3.92GB) from the OE drive. A ton of bad/unreadable sectors both at the head and end of that partition. Because it booted right up after copying part3 I didn't feel the need to restore the OE part 1 to the "new" drive, particularly considering all the bad sectors.

The OE drive goes offline in the enclosure and on an external dock. The dock has a 4A power supply I've never had trouble powering drives with it. After a cooldown/power off period the drive will operate again. Maybe I've been unlucky but of 4 Seagate drives I've had in the last 5 years every single one of them has failed (2 in iomega HMNDHDs, 1 desktop, 1 laptop). I just dismantled (to recycle) about 12 various old drives. One by one I connected them to see what was there before dismantle. Except for 2 newer (dead) seagates in the pile every other HDD of various makes still powered up and worked. Some of those drives were sub-GB dating to the '90s.

Have no idea the difference between "gpt" and "other than gpt" and what exactly PM implements. Restating the obvious (LOL) I'm no Linux expert!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:18 pm 

mrbrian200 wrote:
For whatever reason the enclosure didn't like the 3rd partition (24mb) created via the wiki instructions.
Strange.

Quote:
Have no idea the difference between "gpt" and "other than gpt" and what exactly PM implements. Restating the obvious (LOL) I'm no Linux expert!
When you don't know it, don't assume too easy that it's some Linux stuff.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:22 pm 

Quote:
When you don't know it, don't assume too easy that it's some Linux stuff.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

Ahh thank you for the link. Suppose this snuck under my radar over the years, Either I haven't had a problem, or, being unaware didn't attribute a problem I was having to it and somebody else fixed it for me (boot repair/software). Quite possibly the process of cloning the raw partition image from the OE disk restored the legacy MBR that the enclosure needs? This makes sense considering everything seemed to be there, and it didn't look any different after cloning part3 from the OE disk. I do not recall all the options I chose in clonezilla, I do remember checking -no check/fix -raw -+ hidden data before part -no stop on bad sectors. I had so many disks connected to the computer at that moment much of my attention was focused on making sure I didn't accidently wipe my laptop OS or the OE iomega disk.

Possibly the wiki covering installation on a new disk might footnote the iomega's incompatibility with GPT causing boot issues with the link from above. Though, it's not 100% known this was the issue, it appears likely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:29 am 

My personal history recovering Iomegas MHNDHD :

Just Yesterday i sucessfully restored two identical Iomega´s "Home Media Network Hard Drive"
This tutorial is awesome, because i sucessfully restores with different hdd sizes, from 160GB to 2000Gb !
They are now working happy with 2TB Hard Drives !!!
Thanks to Mijzelf !