General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kernel update?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:15 am 

Hello,

I've been checking if it's possible to update kernel / debian version on HMNHD.
I see that contrary to wiki there's 2.6.24.4 patched source
available. I compared it in WinMerge with vanilla sources so I can see what was added / changed.

I'm not linux expert so I wanted somebody more skilled to confirm if it makes any sense to try moving all
those changes to some newer kernel version. If so, should I stick with 2.6 or try some v3 or even v4?
Or maybe it takes some other tasks I'm not aware of?

Actually I'm quite happy with my plain lenny + rtorrent + webmin combo but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have
something up to date.

Post subject: Re: Kernel update?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:04 pm 

There is not really a difference between 2.6 and 3 or 4, except for the ongoing development. The 3.0 kernel was introduced because Linus had the idea that 2.6.40 was just not a good idea. But the difference between 2.6.38 and 2.6.39 is not smaller than the step from 2.6.39 to 3.0.

Back to your question. The development of the kernel is contained in a series of patches, which contain the difference between the old and the new source. Theoretically you can get from a 2.6.0 kernel to 4.3 by just applying all patches in between.

In that Wiki page you can read that Timtim applied the patches and got to 2.6.24.7, and then it became incompatible. To go further the specific Oxnas code had to be patched to be compatible with a newer kernel.

Your approach is a bit different, by creating the patch which converts a vanilla 2.6.24.4 to an Oxnas variant. I think you can apply that patch to 2.6.24.7, and it will still work, but for newer versions the patch becomes unusable, and has to be patched, because interfaces are changed, or something like that.

Of course theoretically you can get a recent kernel working on an Oxnas, but a lot of work has to be done. Steffen Sledz has given up. If you really want this, I think you'd better study the difference between the OX810 and it's successor, the PLX7820 (which can be found in the HMNHD CE). For the PLX7820 a recent kernel is available. Patches can be found in the OpenWRT git. I think it's easier to adapt these than to adapt your patch to a new kernel.

Post subject: Re: Kernel update?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:29 pm 

Ok, that explains things a bit. Actually I've considered different approach. Instead of patching
I wanted to isolate changes between vanilla 2.6.24.4 and Oxnas variant and then update more
recent kernel with those. Well, I need to check it more thoroughly before I waste time for something
I'm not able to finish. I'll see if I have time for this. As for HMNHDCE, I should be getting one quite
soon anyway. :)