General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:28 pm 

Previously I posted about how I replaced the disk in my Home Media Network Drive and was able to get the new disk working thanks to the Wiki here, but before I did this I needed to try and get some photos off the old drive soo...

I removed the failed drive from the enclosure and connected it internally to my WIN7 PC via SATA power/data leads. On booting up I was able to see the drive, but none of the partitions - as they are unix type file systems. I then ran a 'Smart' disk check tool which showed me loads of errors that had gone unreported until now as the Iomega NAS has no facility for reporting these.

Lets try Knoppix I thought, so I shutdown and loaded a copy of the KOPPIX live dvd and booted up the PC. I could now see the three partitions but when I tried to mount them I got messages saying 'unable to read superblock'. I have a copy of 'UFS Explorer' on my PC so I rebooted the PC into Windows. I then started UFS explorer and I was able to open the folders on the failed MHNDHD disk and copy the contents to the PC hard drive, Result!

UFS Explorer costs €40 for the 'personal' version, There are probably several free utilities similar to UFS Explorer that would do the same job, there are lots of Boot CD's - Trinity, UBD (and The Koppix disk I used) - that contain such programs, so it may be worth giving them a go if you don't have access to a copy of UFS Explorer. I was lucky in this case as I could still see the disk, if you cannot even see the disk you may be stuffed, but if you can, Good Luck recovering your files!