General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:59 pm 

Hi,

I got my MHNDHD working with a new disk - thanks to this forum and Wiki and all was well for a while.
It ran overnight and when I tried to access this morning I cannot see it the NAS in Windows Explorer,
cannot map to it, cannot browse via HTTP to it and cannot access it via Iomega Storage Manager - I can ping it fine though?
I have tried pulling the Network cable out and replacing it - but all this did was give me a nice light show.
If I power cycle the NAS it comes back fine and I am able to access it in all the above ways.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited by Gezza7 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:42 am 

I *think* a low level protocol like ping is handled completely by the NIC itself, or by the ethernet driver. While all other protocols you mention are high-level protocols. So if some subsystem in the kernel crashed, it's perfectly possible that ping still works, while you can't get any tcp or udp package through.

Having said that, I don't know how to solve your problem. If you have serial you can wait until the problem arrives, and have a look at dmesg, ifconfig and commands like that to find out what actually happens.
If you don't have serial, you can have a look in /var/log/ to see if anything is logged.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:30 pm 

Thanks Mijzelf, I have no serial so I'll have a look at the logs if/when it happens again. I had a look around the web for similar problems and others suggested turning of media streaming on the NAS and manually setting the IP address on it. I've done both so will see if it makes any difference.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 am 

I manually set the IP address and then un-checked the iTunes and DLNA server options. I then restarted the NAS and left it running to see what happened overnight. It has stayed up the past two nights and I can now access my folders through the Web page or Windows Explorer. The only strange thing is that I now there are no 'switches' under multimedia in the folders section, so I do not have the options to switch the iTunes or DLNA servers back on. Not a problem as I do not use these.