General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:24 pm 

My 1TB Iomega MHNHD has just completely stopped working. I think it was something to do with the few short power cuts we had recently. Over the last 6 months or so it became progressively less communicable with. Sometimes it would be there and other times not. I use this primarily as a means of storing DVD's for my home TV system over my home network but also as a back up for data on my PC . I might end up using this thing as a door stop !

I am not an expert on IT nor am I a qualified starship captain which is what it seems you need to be to operate one of these things but from what little I can understand the operating system is stored on the actual hard drive and not on flash memory on the internal PCB so if the disc goes faulty you have lost it. It scares the willies out of me that this device is technically what you would need as a back up device and yet it is so unreliable and from what I have seen on the net there are a lot of dodgy ones out there having the same problems. It's not a good piece of kit if it unreliable as a back up device.

My drive currently starts working for the first 10 seconds or so once it is up and running and I can see it over the network and all the files on it but then it just seems to fade away. The white power light is on and the blue light flashes during the start up procedure but then goes off. As far as I can see, the reset button does nothing and the power button is even more useless. Is it possible to re load the operating system without having to resort to loads of other PC's some of which must use some form of Linux operating system ?

HELP !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:20 am 

I don't see why having the OS on disk lowers the usefulness as backup device. When the disk fails, your backup is gone anyway, no matter if the NAS still boots.

Quote:
Is it possible to re load the operating system without having to resort to loads of other PC's some of which must use some form of Linux operating system ?
<nitpicker-modus>Yes. You can do it with only a single Linux PC using this directions, where you skip step 'Data Partition' to preserve your data.</nitpicker-modus>

If you can find uploaded partitions for some mirroring tools, it might be possible to restore the OS from a Windows machine, but in that case you'll loose your data, I guess. (And I'm not sure if it will work. Some crucial data is stored outside the partitioned space. The mirroring tool might choke on that.

The data partition has an XFS filesystem. The only Windows tool which can read that where I'm aware of is XFS explorer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:23 pm 

OK Thanks I will have a go at that. I have an older spare 32bit windows system that I dont mind taking a risk on and there is no data on it. I just keep it for odds & sods work. The data on the 1TB iomega would be a nuisance to lose it but it is recoverable by re loading it from a stack of DVD's if I need to. Just dont like wasting the time. I get the real impression that these Iomega NAS's are not the most reliable of beasts.