General NAS-Central Forums

Welcome to the NAS community
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm 

Cant paste it and cant drag-and-drop it. Crashes it (meaning that it closes one or both folders. Saw this a LOT while moving the data off to another drive for protection).

So this has to be by way of terminal (damn).... to make it 'idiot proof' (for someone who does not live in the world of text commands and termainal use:) I TRIED to move this sda1-2064.tgz to sdb2 within terminal but it never worked for me. I am sure I am entering the commands wrong or something. (some commands from previous instructions included a symbol that looks like a 1 or straight up line....which I dont see on my keyboard(?) Found on the "installing firmware ona a new disk" instructions.... between gzip -dc.... and sudo dd of=.... may not matter).

So, I THINK I need to move file "sdal-2064.gz" from "/media/sda3/tool box" TO "/media/sdb2"

THEN I will use all this cd /media/sdb1 along with sudo rm -rf * etc.

Can you give me the (I am sure stupid-simple) commands within terminal that I use to move the compressed file? This last stage of this experience is becoming 10 times more frustrating than the previous days.

thanks for your patience.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:39 pm 

That | is called a 'pipe', and is located above the \, (on my keyboard).

Quote:
So, I THINK I need to move file "sdal-2064.gz" from "/media/sda3/tool box" TO "/media/sdb2"

Code:
mv /media/sda3/tool\ box/sda1-2064.tgz /media/sdb2
Attention for the \ between 'tool' and 'box'. Seeing your question it seems there is a space between it. The \ is an escape to tell the command interpreter: 'Hey there follows a character which you shouldn't interpret, but just pass to the command to be executed'. Else 'mv' woudl be called with 3 arguments.

By the way, you don't need to move it. I thought it was on /media/sdb1, which is about to be erased. You can simply change the commands a bit:
Code:
cd /media/sdb1     
sudo rm -rf *                             # this erases all from the current directory (/media/sdb1)
sudo tar -xzf /media/sda3/tool\ box/sda1-2064.tgz   # this extracts everything from sda1-2064.tgz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 pm 

Uhm.... trying not to panic yet here..... :)

The 'erase all from current directory' part worked dandy, but the 'put stuff back' part gave me an error.

(see srn shot) says "canot open; no such file or directory
error is not recoverable; exiting now
child returned status 2
exiting with failure status due to previous errors.

None of that looks very promising to me.

I used cut-and-paste so the commands were litteraly as you typed them pasted into the terminal. First part worked just fine, and I know it GOT the command(s), it just choked on the second one.

Oh my.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:10 pm 

and sdb1 is now very very empty.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:25 pm 

No panic. The tgz file is just not there where you specified it. You can try this:
Code:
cd /media/sdb1
wget -qO- http://downloads.iomega.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/HMNHD/partitions.2.064/sda1-2064.tgz | sudo tar -xz
This will download the file from the nas-central server, and extract it on the fly.
(Oh by the way, the second line is actually one line. It wraps in my preview.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm 

Looking good...... (see, I just KNEW there was any easy way to skin that cat :)

cut-and-paste of those commands worked perfectly it seems, and sdb1 appears to be repopulated with the needed files.

I will now attempt to re-install this baby back into the iomega case (from its current mad scientest lab status) and (I hope) get her back up and running.

I thank you.... I will update later.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:33 pm 

Nope.

does not show up now on the network at all.

Blue light flashes (it used to have an orange light). Re-install of the iomega software did not fix. Also, it looks to me as if the little fan does not spin which makes me think that now it is a hardware problem (drive being fine, but the interface card and all that 'stuff' on it may be toast).

Not sure if I should pull it back apart and mess with it further... or pack it up and return to Iomega for repair or replace.

If that is the next step in this process, then the good news is that I DID manage to pull off all the data I wanted to retain. So its only the last half of the excersize that fell short.

Return it? or bust it out for another look?

thx.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm 

Flashing blue? That means Device busy. Drive Starting up or shutting down. Of course it's possible that the kernel is damaged, making it never finish it's boot. But I wouldn't know why. The rootfs is being written to, so it can get damaged when you pull the plug on the wrong moment, or due to a firmware error. But the kernel is only read.
Maybe you fried something by using the wrong powersupply. If that is true, you should think about the morality of returning it. Using the wrong powersupply is not covered by the warranty.
Quote:
the good news is that I DID manage to pull off all the data I wanted to retain.
You know, you should always have a backup. A disk is a mechanical thing. The question is not *if* it will fail, but *when* it will fail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 pm 

thanks.

I will return for service, not outright refund. The power-supply thing was only a best-guess as to what may have happened to this thing. Sad thing is that it worked enough before I cracked it open, to give the option of "reformat" and "repair". Obviously "repair" did not work, and until I was sure I had pulled the data off I did not want to try the "reformat" option. ((note, the reformat option was within the iomega application))

I figured that was todays next-step if it did not fire right up. Now I have to go for the repair-under-warranty instead :(

I will hook it up to USB one last time and grab a couple screen shots for you to look at (just in case I blew something obvious in those last instructions I got).

thx.

Post subject: one last look
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm 

One last look at this thing before I box her up for transit back to manuf.

see anything that jumps out as crazy or missing?

It just never "finds" it on the network.... weird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:28 pm 

packed up and on its way for repair....

I just wanted to say thanks again.... because with the assistance I got from you the data was salvaged (and I learned way more than I ever wanted to know about Linux and terminals etc.etc. :) THAT was the crucial part of all this, so I appreciate it.

Will pop in from time to time now that I will (soon) have a functional NAS again.

I plan to keep the external drive I bought and used to store the data. I figure a back-up for the NAS is a good idea long term.

many thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:56 am 

Hi,

The firmware of my Iomega network drive was broken. I reinstalled it following your instructions. The drive is working again, but I can only access half of its capacity, i.e. 500 GB. Anyone knows a solution to this issue?

Prix1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:12 pm 

So you followed this instruction? Did you follow the complete instruction, or did you stop somewhere to not destroy your data?

I think you have to execute the commands between 'Use fdisk to remove partition 2, and add it again.' and 'Format partition 1'. The partition table in mbr+uboot+kernel.gz is from a 500GB Home Media (mine), so it has to be altered to handle a bigger disk. When you did format your data partition (sdb2), you'll have to grow it, or reformat it after altering the partition table.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:13 pm 

So what was the end result?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:04 pm 

Hello

I have the same problem .. I follow exactly the instructions .. hd and mount the boot, everything seems ok but not on the network .. has no network ..

The HD is ready to be used but has no network .. is impossible to connect to the HD..
Greetings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next